Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it that bad with the legend updates and ground balance?

bigtim1973

Have been seeing alot of bad ground measurements with the updates on the legend.

Now people are complaining about the speaker blowing up
On them.

I thought I had made my mind up in getting one but I may hold off a bit now to see if they pan things out.

Well the nice thing about these new detectors you can pair them up with about any light bluetooth earbuds.
At the beach between the sound of the water and people screaming you almost need headphones anyway.
There seems to be more leaking issues with the Nok then speaker issues with the legend.
With no bias towards either one id rather take my chances with the speaker going out then water getting in my detector.
You can always just use headphones in a pinch but not if your detector is flooded
Good luck finding a brand or company that never had issues with any products especially with electronics.
Just my opinion enjoy one until the speaker does go, if it actually does happen. And use earbuds or headphones if it does until you get it fixed.
Unless your using another detector you have more down time not using one at all.
As for the updates just don’t update to V 1.09 right now if not happy with it
V 1.07 works just fine V 1.08 and 1.09 just added more features

Have been seeing alot of bad ground measurements with the updates on the legend.

On them.

I thought I had made my mind up in getting one but I may hold off a bit now to see if they pan things out.
I got a 4 month old Equinox 800 I could send your way. I don't use it since I got my Legend.

The Legend is a great machine, I’ve had no issues with it at all. I don’t have much time on it ,, but from what I see and hear it’s so close to my Equinox,, but definitely a different machine for sure..I actually had my nox up for sale,was gonna run the Legend exclusive but now I’m second guessing myself and took my nox off the classifieds,,not sure if I wanna take the time to learn another machine..I will say this tho Bigtim, in my opinion you can’t go wrong by owning a Legend. But if you own a nox I don’t see the advantage of owning them both.

Last edited:
Once either machine is dialed in to your ground and hunting style they're both great. Legend seems to be easier to dial in IMO.

My legend is 1.08... if I don't ground balance a nickel reads 26.... If I ground balance a nickel reads 23.... Not a big deal to me,and not worth updating for such a minor swing in ID..I know lots of machines out there when you change the frequency the numbers change dramatically,I mean like 10 points on a 99 ID scale.. so I'm not sure what all the fuss is over with the ground balance on version 1.08

On them.

here is my take
I have posted some things up on a couple of other forum about the ground balance, and you have to keep in mind I mainly detect for gold nuggets in Arizona

The 1.08 now 1.09 changed things in the Legend that are a bit confusing for me and quite different from any other detector I have ever used, it is not a bad thing.
for instance with the 1.08 now 1.09 they added a mineralization meter which really works pretty good in the fact there is two sides to that mineral meter left side shows how much iron particles are in the ground you are detecting the right side is a salt content meter, they also added a iron filter and stability setting which I am finding works great for me on the ground I am detecting they added a adjustable iron bias (Filter) which I am basically learning what it does, the adjustable iron filter can affect things tremendously

I am new to true multi frequency detectors, the closet detector i have used to a multi frequency detector was the Xterra 705 there is a huge difference between the 705 and the legend, I personally was really skeptical about a true multi frequency detector, that was the Equinox nothing about the nox ever made me feel like I had to have one or needed one to keep up with my buddies in detecting, then Nokta /Macro 4 years later announced the Legend, there was something about the Legend that my gut was telling me to purchase one,so I did a pre order

I am finding the Legend to be a real fun detector to run, a few of my buddies I detect with all use the Equinox 600 and 800 what we find when we do detect together is depth wise the Legend and the nox 800 are very close, we all also notice that the legend runs much smoother in high EMI areas and does not false as much on nails as much as the Nox.

as far as the ground balance what I am seeing in the legend on the ground i detect is this, and I cannot say it is an issue yet, when I do ground balance I detect on extremely mineralized ground for instance on the mineral meter left side on the ground I detect is usually maxed (10 Bars), with the salt side of the meter bouncing from 1-3 my GB values Multi 1 park and field mode is at 89, in Multi 2 GB values run 55, one of the questions I have on the ground balance is should there be that big of a variance in GB values between M1 and M2

the other thing I am noticing with the ground balance values is a lot of times on the same ground my GB values start reading 1-10 usually ending at 0-3, while two other detectors are still reading in the 80s-90s on GB values, is it a problem I really cannot say yet, when it does this my Legend seems to still stay stable so it has not caused an issue detecting yet, being a nugget ditectorist I have to know my detector is running as stable as it can run, so yes I have questions on the GB values, I know a lot of users of the Legend are coin and jewelry detectorist maybe they do not need as stable of a detector as a nugget ditectorist don't really know the answer to that one either

I have no regrets in my decision to purchase the Legend, in fact I like it so much I purchased a second Legend for my wife to learn on, I also feel the more things that are reported about the Legend the better, in my opinion it is like we are all involved in making the Legend the best it can be and the more of us that reports small problems it just gives Nokta/Macro motivation to give us the updates which by the way I feel the updates are a good thing each and every time a new update has come out I have installed them, what I am finding the Legend is getting better and better, I find I can detect some of the areas that i was previously only able to use a PI (Pulse Induction) detector because of high mineral content I am now able to use a VLF detector which just so happens to be the Legend rite now

My one hope is that Nokta/Macro does not update to the point that it dumb's the Legend down.

I apologize for the long reply

The Legend is a great machine, I’ve had no issues with it at all. I don’t have much time on it ,, but from what I see and hear it’s so close to my Equinox,, but definitely a different machine for sure..I actually had my nox up for sale,was gonna run the Legend exclusive but now I’m second guessing myself and took my nox off the classifieds,,not sure if I wanna take the time to learn another machine..I will say this tho Bigtim, in my opinion you can’t go wrong by owning a Legend. But if you own a nox I don’t see the advantage of owning them both.
I see your point. Thanks for your input

On them.

I think for me anyway, the questions about the Ground Balance stem from NM changing the GB parameters with V1.08/1.09 but not making a detailed mention of it until questions from users were brought up. They have now put a detailed description about it up on their website, included in the update description. Dilek also made a short video addressing the GB questions/concerns.
My questions have been answered & I understand what my Legend is doing & why. It's all good and seems to be another small improvement NM has made. It is a learning process for me & it is great to see NM act so quickly to address real user's concerns AND suggestions for further improvement of The Legend.

I got a 4 month old Equinox 800 I could send your way. I don't use it since I got my Legend.
I’ll take it 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
1658678085402.png

People ruin everything.
Like the saying if it aint broke don’t fix it
Before detectors that were updatable people had detectors and never complained unless it broke down
Features are nice but then they want more deeper, more sensitivity, more separation
Now you give people something and it works fine and they want more more more.
Never satisfied. Then they mess with it until it doesn’t work right.

Like one tester of metal detectors said the Legend found 29 out of 30 that the Nok 800 found and that seems about right. If ypu want to spend a few hundred to find that extra 1 out of 30 then go for it.
To each his own
You can also spend $1000 more and get something that finds 1 or 2 more than the Nok. Where you draw the line is up to you.
29 out of 30-31 is fine with me
Again everyone’s satisfaction level is different
The trade off of potentially finding 1 or 2 less is also offset by better build quality and lower price that to me was the deciding factor.
If you have money and time to burn just buy them all and go over the same area with all of them

Utube's Paystreak Superfreak DOES have them all and when I grow up I want to have the time and FREEDOM to detect until I drop; and at 76 who knows, might be tomorrow.
what a lot of people do not realize is Jeremy (Paystreak Superfreak) also does crime scene evidence recovery for the police, using his metal detectors, like him or not like him the guy does know his crap when it comes to detectors he just loves to metal detect