Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the 6000 XL Pro really as deep seeking as the 6000 Di Pro SL? ...................

Kelley (Texas)

While I like the small control box and lighter weight of the 6000 XL Pro, I question if it has the depth of detection of the 6000 Di Pro SL. When comparing the two detectors the other day while doing an air test, the 6000 Di Pro SL appeared to have more response at a greater distance. I must note that the XL Pro used in the test was my new XL Pro that has some meter problems that will be sent to White's Electronics for repair. However, the malfunctioning meter should not have been a factor in depth of detection, in my humble opinion.

Has anyone else ever compared the two detectors? Would anyone like to voice an opinion on this subject? Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: There is much debate over the value of an air test with a metal detector with many folks of the opinion that what really counts is how the detector reacts under actual hunting conditions, detecting targets in the ground. As a general rule, I adhere to that theory. At the same time, I feel that an air test will possibly give someone an idea of how the detector will perform under actual hunting conditions. Again, just the opinion of a retired South Texas cowboy.

Kelly, I've used the DI Pro SL since 1989 as my main detector. I retired the ole gal a few months back in favor of the XL pro. As far as depth between the two I haven't had a chance to test them head to head in actual field conditions but in my test garden I can see no difference. I have a few sites where old coins are in the 8 inch and deeper range but haven't tested the XL Pro there yet. One is an old resort that I found many years ago and is where I learned the secrets of using the anolog meter to dig coins a great depth. As far as air tests go the 6000 series have never air tested well. They also don't do well on freshly buried coins but in the field on long buried targets they will go as deep as the best of them. My Compass Gold Scanner Pro air tests much better than either of my whites but in the ground both the SL and XL Pro get at least 2 inches or more depth using the 8 inch coil compared to the 8 inch coil on the GSP. One thing I have noticed is that the XL Pro seems to discriminate a bit better on rusty targets. I was fooled once yesterday and dug up a rusty square nail but then again it did have a barber quarter stuck to it.

Kelly,

I noticed your new XL Pro has a meter problem. I just bought one a week ago and also am having a meter problem.

Mine seems to want to peg when the unit is lightly tapped even when sittin on a table (no way it's detecting anything) and at random times while in use. Best I can tell it may be in the coil and I need to take it back to the dealer to try another coil. I had called Whites and they suggested swaping coils.

I was just wanting to see what your problem was and if it may be similar.

Thanks...

Dward51

Swap coils and see what happens. I am 99% sure that my problem is in the meter itself. Everything else appears to work OK. I am going to box the XL Pro and send it in for warranty repair in the next day or so. Kelley (Texas) :)

Monte has stated that White's Electronics designed the XL Pro to be at least equal to the Di Pro SL in performance. I have never actually compared the two models under actual field conditions, only did an air test comparison. I agree that a true test would be under actual hunting conditions. Kelley (Texas) :)

I made it by the dealers shop this afternoon. As soon as we turned the XL Pro on it went nuts!!! Crazy meter swings and tone hits. Tried swapping the coil out for another one off of another detector as they did not have any more XL Pro's (used the 800 coil from a classic 3). It was hitting on metal waved by the coil, but the meter kept boucing all over the place with the unit sitting on the counter and the coil in free air with nothing anywhere near it. We could not get it to settle down enough so I could show them what it had been doing before.

So the dealer is sending my new and 1 week old XL Pro back to Whites for repair (in all fairness it was the display model and I got a super deal on it as it was the last one). Bummer..... But I really liked it when I got it to work during that week!!!

Oh well, it will be back in a few weeks I guess.

It is kinda disappointing in having a new metal detector and having to send it off for repairs. Thank goodness that I have a couple of backup detectors to use. These things happen and we just have to make the best of it. Let me know when you get it back. Kelley (Texas) :)

I've been using most models of Whites machines for over twenty years and have never had a problem with any of them and believe me, I'm not easy on them as I hunt hard in very wet conditions while using them as bramble whackers. Good luck guys

Well, I got a great deal ($300 - in box complete), but it was the display model and their last one in stock. I knew if there where any problems it would have to be shipped off since they discontinued them. It was sold as new and I did get the full warranty from a authorized dealer as well.

Hey on the bright side when I get it back, it's "factory new", right!!!

I have never had to send a metal detector in for repair before, especially a new one that was just recently purchased. I just got a box and bubble wrap and will be shipping mine tomorrow. This should prove interesting and like you, I do hope it comes back properly repaired with no scratches or other marks that will show it has been repaired. The seller did offer to replace it with a current White's metal detector of equal value, but I said that I want the XL Pro and was willing to get it repaired. I feel that everything will be OK. Kelley (Texas) :)

Coincidentally, my new XL Pro also had a bad meter. Yes, it was a bit of a disappointment to have to send my xmas present to myself back for warranty repair, but the good news is that it came back working and looking perfect. White's said they replaced the meter. Don't dispair. I love my new XL Pro and had no negative issues associated with the repair. And congrats on your new detector. If you like yours as much as I like mine, you will be a happy detectorist indeed!:beers:

is out there in the market place. Do you know any others that have had this problem? Kelley (Texas) :)

[quote Kelley (Texas)]I just got a box and bubble wrap and will be shipping mine tomorrow.[/quote]

I took mine to the dealer and they offered to pack and send it for me. I had only had it a week. Saved me the $13 UPS shipping & insurance to boot.

When it worked (meter not acting up), it seemed to be working very well. I was locating, targeting and recovering bottle caps (very old ones at that), small pieces of pot metal and coins at up to 7" deep. The two coins I found were good solid tones and showed correctly as a quarter and penny. I just did not have a chance to take it to a good location and was playing with it at the house.

There is a large public "beach" at a local county park (we are 200 miles inland). A buddy from work who has a DFX and I are going to hit it as soon as I get mine back. Best we can tell from talking to the park management, no one has ever detected there and the water in the main lake at the beach is 90% drained for the off season so we can also hit the sand that is normally under water and stay dry! Should make for an intersting weekend (the lake is about 50 acres with beach all the way around).

One thing I did notice was the settings I was using on the XL Pro was showing me stuff worth digging and ID'ing it better than the DFX my buddy has. He was using the coins & rings program and it was cutting out too much of the stuff (even missed the 1984 quarter at 6" totally). XL Pro sounded out lout and clear. In fairness I think my tweaking of the discrimination and signal balance gave me the edge. That's one of the pluses of the XL Pro - easier to tweak on the fly.

Kelly, honestly you and I are the only ones I've heard of with this problem. And White's and the dealer couldn't have been better about fixing the problem. They paid for my return shipping too. They said it was a defective meter which they replaced. I wonder of they just got a bad batch of them from their supplier. In the last 25 years I've owned 5 White's detectors (Coinmaster 2db, 6000D Series 3, 6000Di/Pro SL, XLT, and XL Pro) and this is the first problem of any kind I've ever had with any of them.

P.S. I'm in Texas too, around Dallas.

and I really expect no problems. I do look forward to getting it back so I can use it again. I used it one time out in the field, but did not use the meter. To be honest, I am use to using a Tesoro Bandidio II uMax and did not think of using the meter as per se. It was afterwards that I started learning about how to use the meter that I noticed the problem.

What part of the Dallas area do you live? I bought my first metal detector up there in Garland, Texas, direct from the Garrett Factory. It was a Master Hunter BFO detector. Those were some fun days. Kelley (Texas) :)