Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the compadre the best tesoro for chains & small gold?

rarysgaard

I own a Cibola, but I keep reading about how hot the Compadre is on small gold and tiny chains.If you were to buy 1 tesoro for finding small gold & chains which detector would you buy? I hunt trashy parks for jewelry so the small 6' coil is perfect.

Don't forget, the Vaquero in all metal will find tiny gold when properly ground balanced (especially with DD sniper coil).

If I could get my hands on a 4" coil I would start there....

Why is the compadre so hot on small gold, like chains and other small gold items?

The Tiger Shark will sill hit on the chain in the middle I am not talking about the clasp but the chain.
The Lobo ST will hit it just a little harder I just wish it was water proof.The Cibola should be as good as the Compadre.but what do I know

slingshot said:
ken ward said:
Why is the compadre so hot on small gold, like chains and other small gold items?
It doesn't have the high-gain, low-noise circuitry.
I think it is because it comes with a 5.75 in coil.If you put a small coil on any Tesoro they will find small gold. It not being high gain high output is ridiculous ,if that was true then the Tejon and Vaquero would not be any good for finding small gold!!!

pulltaber said:
slingshot said:
ken ward said:
I think it is because it comes with a 5.75 in coil.If you put a small coil on any Tesoro they will find small gold. It not being high gain high output is ridiculous ,if that was true then the Tejon and Vaquero would not be any good for finding small gold!!!

No, I agree with Slingshot.
Put the small coil on my Vaq I think it would be very close, but I still am not sure it would be quite as sensitive to the tiny stuff and chains.
My next purchase for my Vaq will be a small coil so I will do some testing when I get one.
My Compadre, (which has the larger 7" coil), does have different circuitry than other Tesoros, that could very well be the reason.
My Compadre picks up chains, really tiny targets and even hit a single bead off a nail clipper chain once that my Propointer had trouble finding, and they all sounded like solid coin signals.
Seeing and hearing is believing, and these signals were loud and amazing.

pulltaber said:
slingshot said:
ken ward said:
I found a tiny gold 14k chain. I put it ON THE 5.75 COIL of the Silver umax. and RUBBED IT on the coil. NO SIGNAL! And that was all metal! ALL of my other detectors did the same.

Thinking back, my first detector was a Compadre. I found lots of silver chains with it. I haven't found a chain since I quit using it regularly.

Don't under estimate the Compadre. It's one amazing detector.

tabman

Small 14Kt ear ring post found with the Vaquero several years ago. Compadre 1 inch.,,,Silver UMax, forget it, no signal with 8 inch coil. Vaquero 3.5 inches with the 9 by 8 stock concentric...I sold my 5.75 concentric, borrowing it back just to test on the post and some chains.. The silver UMax pounds on small gold rings,and something very interesting...It has found silver coins under tin which was knocked out..A bunch of people said this was impossible.The Silver didn't know that and did....The more I use it, the more I know the Vaquero is a real grass kicker... I don't want to break the seal on my connectors, otherwise, I'd try the clean sweep on that post..If it hit, would be doing back flips. There are no small chains here, maybe I can get some help at the coin shop?????????..The Tesoros are like the ladies, they keep on teaching you something new all the time..

OK. It seems like this should be my last post on the Compadre-period! I'm in no way saying the other Tesoros won't find small gold. I create a controversy every time I post on this and the two words FINE GOLD seem to be overlooked. It took me 3 years to believe what Tabdog was saying. Monte's experiment with a PENNY at 1" in a tot lot with highly mineralized pebbles where the mighty Vaquero and several other detector WOULD NOT pick up the penny at 1" was even more amazing.The lowly Compadre DID! My tot lot finds CONFIRM his experiments, and many times I have found a FRESHLY dropped quarter at 1" over looked by other detectors because the coin had not been there long enough to change the matrix. Even the Compadre gave a soft, skip signal, but was loud enough to easily hear. Would I love to have a Vaq or Tejon? OH YEAH! But my finances and just the fact that I'm finding lots of stuff =not to mention I'm over the new detector every 6 months ordeal-keep me from een entertaining the idea. Heck, I even found 2 gold rings in the last 2 months with my Ace! Oops! Slip of the mouth.

It's the 12khz frequency and the 5.75 coil that help it find small gold. The higher the frequency, the better sensitivity it has to small gold. Thats why all the gold detectors start at around 15khz, and also why the Vaquero (14.7) is even better on small gold (with a small coil).

Slingshot, some place I mention going over an area I hit with both a silver uMax and my vaquero..They came along with the Compadre and it was popping coins out like they were being minted.I was amazed, and the guy with a berry expensive machine dumbfounded....The 14 Kt post, was just one item, and the Compadre did very well on small gold rings...There is no perfect detector for everyone..Monte does not give the Vaquero high marks, I like mine. even if it does swear at me on occasion....It's a prima donna,,,,wadda ya going to do?

atomicscott said:
It's the 12khz frequency and the 5.75 coil that help it find small gold. The higher the frequency, the better sensitivity it has to small gold. Thats why all the gold detectors start at around 15khz, and also why the Vaquero (14.7) is even better on small gold (with a small coil).

I have the 7" coil and it still seems to find tiny stuff better than anything else I have tried.
Also chains...silver or gold including really small thin ones.
The Compadre seems to hit better on these, too.
Again, once I get a sniper coil for the Vaq I will test these types of targets but the Compadre finds these so easily in the field that I still believe there is nothing out there as sensitive as this one.

Do you still have your Compadre?
Do some more hunting with it and you will see.
Trust me, I love to hunt with my Vaq a lot too, along with my F2, and now I am planning on something high end because I have that itch, but after seeing some jaw dropping stuff this little wonder can do in the field I believe there is something strange and magical about this thing that goes beyond rules and physics...and there are many other owners that believe it too.
Take this as fact from the original charter member and Grand Poo-Bah of the Church of the Compadre.

REVIER said:
atomicscott said:

I have the 7" coil and it still seems to find tiny stuff better than anything else I have tried.
Also chains...silver or gold including really small thin ones.
The Compadre seems to hit better on these, too.
Again, once I get a sniper coil for the Vaq I will test these types of targets but the Compadre finds these so easily in the field that I still believe there is nothing out there as sensitive as this one.

Do you still have your Compadre?
Do some more hunting with it and you will see.
Trust me, I love to hunt with my Vaq a lot too, along with my F2, and now I am planning on something high end because I have that itch, but after seeing some jaw dropping stuff this little wonder can do in the field I believe there is something strange and magical about this thing that goes beyond rules and physics...and there are many other owners that believe it too.
Take this as fact from the original charter member and Grand Poo-Bah of the Church of the Compadre.