Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the compadre the best tesoro for chains & small gold?

Ya but I think if you tried it in all metal, properly GB'ed or a bit positive, you will find tinier gold (in the ground) with the Vaquero and small DD coil. That's why they are used for prospecting as well. The GB can be ran positive to find very small gold.

REVIER said:
atomicscott said:
It's the 12khz frequency and the 5.75 coil that help it find small gold. The higher the frequency, the better sensitivity it has to small gold. Thats why all the gold detectors start at around 15khz, and also why the Vaquero (14.7) is even better on small gold (with a small coil).

I have the 7" coil and it still seems to find tiny stuff better than anything else I have tried.
Also chains...silver or gold including really small thin ones.
The Compadre seems to hit better on these, too.
Again, once I get a sniper coil for the Vaq I will test these types of targets but the Compadre finds these so easily in the field that I still believe there is nothing out there as sensitive as this one.

Do you still have your Compadre?
Do some more hunting with it and you will see.
Trust me, I love to hunt with my Vaq a lot too, along with my F2, and now I am planning on something high end because I have that itch, but after seeing some jaw dropping stuff this little wonder can do in the field I believe there is something strange and magical about this thing that goes beyond rules and physics...and there are many other owners that believe it too.
Take this as fact from the original charter member and Grand Poo-Bah of the Church of the Compadre.
With the Vaquero I don't feel the need for the Compadre as much. Sure I may be leaving the church, but I'm also leaving every little tiny piece of scrap metal and staple that exists on my sites! Sure the Compadre rocks with clad in tot lots and the disc is much better than the V IMO. I have found some neat stuff with my Compadre. I just have NEVER dug as much trash and worthless tiny scrap as I have with the Compadre. If I happen to miss a super fine gold chain worth 5 bucks or a tiny earring the size of a grain of rice, I don't think I'm missing too much. That's why I just purchased another F2. One thing for certain is, I definitely have found coins as well as some late 1800s 4-hole brass buttons at about 8" with the F2. I guess I'm also just trying to save my back a bit, and have some tones with the F2.

Thanks for all the feedback. The debate goes on. I'm still tempted to purchase the Compadre as a back up & for hunting very trashy parks. I currently own a XP Deus & found a lot of gold with it hunting in 18khz, but it has a 9' coil & no 6' coil.

slingshot said:
OK. It seems like this should be my last post on the Compadre-period! I'm in no way saying the other Tesoros won't find small gold. I create a controversy every time I post on this and the two words FINE GOLD seem to be overlooked. It took me 3 years to believe what Tabdog was saying. Monte's experiment with a PENNY at 1" in a tot lot with highly mineralized pebbles where the mighty Vaquero and several other detector WOULD NOT pick up the penny at 1" was even more amazing.The lowly Compadre DID! My tot lot finds CONFIRM his experiments, and many times I have found a FRESHLY dropped quarter at 1" over looked by other detectors because the coin had not been there long enough to change the matrix. Even the Compadre gave a soft, skip signal, but was loud enough to easily hear. Would I love to have a Vaq or Tejon? OH YEAH! But my finances and just the fact that I'm finding lots of stuff =not to mention I'm over the new detector every 6 months ordeal-keep me from een entertaining the idea. Heck, I even found 2 gold rings in the last 2 months with my Ace! Oops! Slip of the mouth.
I think the Compadre would make an excellent back-up detector, it just takes patience to learn it. It kills on the clad and jewelry, and has great disc.There isn't much better for the price!

I know that the compadre will find the small gold chains. Here we go. I also have a mine lab safare. All the high freg. It will not touch that same gold chain . Not even in all metal. What goes here. I dont even like using the safare for that reason

ken ward said:
I know that the compadre will find the small gold chains. Here we go. I also have a mine lab safare. All the high freg. It will not touch that same gold chain . Not even in all metal. What goes here. I dont even like using the safare for that reason
Thanks, Ken. One last time: It's NOT the coil or the frequency-IT'S THE CIRCUITRY.

slingshot said:
ken ward said:
Thanks, Ken. One last time: It's NOT the coil or the frequency-IT'S THE CIRCUITRY.
Of course it's the frequency! It's well known that the higherr the frequency, the more sensitive to smaller gold. that's why the dedicated gold nugget detectors are all above15khz

atomicscott said:
slingshot said:
ken ward said:
Of course it's the frequency! It's well known that the higherr the frequency, the more sensitive to smaller gold. that's why the dedicated gold nugget detectors are all above15khz

One last time for me too.
NOT just the frequency, the circuitry on the Compadre cannot be discounted.
This is an F2 at 5.9 kHz.
Seems to pick up the small nugget fine.
The Compadre will do this too but at a greater depth.
Then there is that chain thing, silver, gold or whatever.
Frequency does not matter here, it is the circuitry.
Nothing touches the Compadre in this area in my experience.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK0GFFVcJ-w[/video]

There was only one detector I ever used that was more sensitive to tiny gold jewlery than the Compadre and that was the Gold Bug 2, but at 71 kHz, it had better be more sensitive!

CladDog said:
There was only one detector I ever used that was more sensitive to tiny gold jewlery than the Compadre and that was the Gold Bug 2, but at 71 kHz, it had better be more sensitive!
What a novel idea! It was more sensitive becuase of the higher frequency? I guess I'm not the only one who believes that higher frequency machines are more sensitive to small gold. I had to be almost touching the coil on my F2 on a BB sized gold earring. Put it on the ground and no signal. Put it IN the ground and the Compadre will find it 2" deep. Ask any experienced nugget shooter and they will verify the high-low frequency myth (as it relates to VLF, not PI). Lower frequency- deeper, but not as sensitive to small gold. Higher frequency- not as deep, but more sensitive to small gold. That is why they make different frequency machines for different types of detecting.

So tell me how do you avoid digging every target without any VDI numbers if you don't want to miss gold, but don't want to dig every target?

rarysgaard said:
So tell me how do you avoid digging every target without any VDI numbers if you don't want to miss gold, but don't want to dig every target?

You learn the language.
There are plenty of ways to figure out what trash sounds and acts like, and if the gold is big enough, it has a sweet sound all it's own.

Also, I sure hope you don't always listen to what those VDI numbers tell you.
I have dug many gold rings and those numbers told me that target was trash about 95% of the time.

Sure glad I didn't believe it!

You are so right. I have found gold and my only platinum ring by ignoring the VDI numbers. They do however serve a purpose by giving you some frame work with which to work. The tesoros are single tone machines where as my E-trac & Deus have multiple tones.

The Compadre is great cause most of the time if you swing super-fast over (Tesoro shake), trash targets that are in the gold range like foil and tabs, will break-up. It's pretty accurate unless its a tight ball of foil or similar. There is so much more to the Compadre than the one knob and tone suggests!

atomicscott said:
The Compadre is great cause most of the time if you swing super-fast over (Tesoro shake), trash targets that are in the gold range like foil and tabs, will break-up. It's pretty accurate unless its a tight ball of foil or similar. There is so much more to the Compadre than the one knob and tone suggests!

The Compadre is the Clark Kent of the detecting world.