Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the equinox update worth it??

bigtim1973

I am not sure what version my 600 is but my 600 has the ability to adjust the back light....3 different settings. However I am not sure what else it lacks other than the 4khz freq.

I do not see much of a benefit to get 4khz when I already have 5khz at my choosing any time I want. Plus the 4khz is not running in multi mode anyways.

I talked to minelab today about that in itself.

So are there any other benefits to the newest update that would be good??

I am land locked so anything for salt water is of no use to me currently.

All thoughts and input are welcome!!

I am enjoying the 4 khz. I always run in multi and if I get a questionable signal,I push the keypad once to go to 4 khz.I think this has helped me get a few coins I may have missed due to a nail or other trash being near the coin. I have never tried 5 khz...As they say....Your results may vary. Good luck and HH!

If it took longer than the 30 seconds it takes, it’s probably not worth it :laugh:

if you don’t like it, spend a whole 30 seconds again and roll back

It is difficult to determine the benefit. Has the update done anything? Has it made the machine anymore stable?
The fact that it is the lowest freq./kHz it should help in silver.
VDI (Visual Discrimination Indication numbers) should be the most benefit determining if it helps?
White’s has chosen to normalize them all to a standard VDI scale. Therefore, a US nickel detected with a 6kHz detector will have the same VDI as with a 15kHz detector.
My White's Spectra V3i shows the individual multifrequency simultaneously with the VDI. Likewise, the pinpointing shows a graph indicating the freq./kHz.
With my Equinox 800 you just have to guess what freq./kHz it is.
And, the VDI certainly is of no help. The only way to confirm would be to go over the target in 4 kHz, and then check the target in single 5 kHz.
The VDI should be the same, or almost the same. Changing only one kHz the VDI should be the same. The metal target does not change! Most at the inception complained about the machine being 'chatty'.
Perhaps, they were not used to using a multifrequency; thus, it was responding to other targets in multifrequency?
In my opinion I will leave the update on my machine. After awhile I will make an informed decision.

Maybe I should have stayed should I update or not?

But so far it looks like a 50/50 thing being the new update had actually made things any better or drastically better.

I am happy with it so far and will probably hold back on updating it for now.

Hi, I just bought a Nox 600. Should I update with the 2.0 or 3.0 or none. I love the machine, only used it once in a park. I'm heading to the beach for two days. I figured if they were good I'd download them when I get back. Thanks.

The counter question is why wouldn't you? It's a quick update. I personally like my electronic devices to have the latest firmware that the manufacturer puts out.

I am still undecided, so I have V 1.5(original) on one Nox, and Ver 3.1 on my second Nox. iMO, there's a loss in stability with versions past the original, but I've not detected a lot recently with the summer and virus restrictions so my sample rate is low. My last outing a few days ago with the one running Ver3.1, was jumpy signals. I quit early and plan to take the other machine to test that same area again.

I have had pretty good luck with the new version. Especially if there was a nail near the target. I would switch to 4 khz and recover the coin. It has helped on a couple of silver dimes that I may have otherwise missed.

I just did the update. Don't know if I'll use it just yet, but it's good to have, in my opinion, an extra "tool" for questionable targets. I always run across these and sometimes will let them go, and off to the next signal. Maybe it'll help, maybe not. Good luck hunting and keep us posted on the results of the update.

It definitely stabilizes the Knox which means you can run in higher sensitivity increasing your depth and target ID. I have definitely noticed an improvement
I have noticed that also I almost always have my sensitivity at 25 maxed out no problems.
Mark

I noticed my 800 seems more stable also and good targets seem to stand out better. I don't use the 4kHz much except as a checker on iffy targets. If you update, make sure you FP (factory restore) your Nox before updating. If you have a User Profile stored, write down the settings because doing a Factory Restore, will erase the User Profile. After you FP and update, you can re-enter your User Profile. I haven't had a problem since updating and the machine to runs smoother now.

I agree with @CPT_GhostLight, runs smoother, more stable near EMI for me. And again to my ears, the tones on a coin shaped object that is really a coin sound better, not as thin sounding. YMMV

Howdy all... I realize this thread is a few months old... but, now that some time has gone by, and further info on updates? More stable? Etc...

I just acquired my NOX 800... and used it the first time today... noticed I do not have the 4kHz ... so am "assuming" I'm not running the latest software and am wondering if I should run
the update? Have no idea what version I am running.... but enjoyed the maiden voyage with it today, lol. So all that to say... do I update?

I did visit Minelab site.... and did see under Downloads... where you can download Version 2 and another for Version 3. A assuming that if I wanted I could go
straight to 3, regardless of what version mine has - mine is brand new, but again, I know it does not show the 4kHz... so I must not be running latest.

Anyways, thoughts and suggestions etc, appreciated - seems like a nice ,machine though even though I am brand new to it still, Lol.

Whenever you update you get all previous updates.
Some will complain they don’t like it then some will say they love it.
when you operate the detector 600/800 in normal mode it will not be affected with updates. Minelab made all updates go to updates. You Have to go to F2 to use F2. You have to go to 4khz to use it. 4khz is not used in mult.
Doug

Last edited:
FWIW, I still go back to the original factory version 1.5. The first upgrade addressed the issue of missing half dollar coins perfectly on edge. Ver1.75 made a difference on that coin, but in my testing, accurate pinpoint on most any other non-surface coin targets, went to heck in a hand basket. All version kept the skew. The 4kHz addition is quieter and more friendly than the built-in 5kHz, but the price is altered tone IDs running 4K. I've found nothing about 4K that helps me, so I keep going back to the software the original engineers shipped in the beginning. Both my 600 and 800 has 1.5 versions. In the end though, "Whatever blows your dress up" as the saying goes." ;-)

5900 . I’m guessing here.
I think the reason I think the pin pointer & TID maybe caused because they made the processor more sensitive and the processor has to handle more so it may be a trade off of finding more or missing more.
I’d take being more sensitive. That is probably why it finds more than the other main brand A....
4khz. I use normal pattern and set my profile to same but set the profile in the 4 khz.
if I get a week high signal with no TID and if I get a TID when I go to profile with the 4khz or a good signal I dig.
Thats just my way.
Doug