Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the Explorer series dead?

Ted S

I always watch this forum to see if anyone is still using the Explorer or one of its variants. My question is...Who is using the Detech 12x10 SEF coil and what are your results over the Pro coil? I have an Explorer SE with the Pro coil that I like to use from time to time and the Equinox 600 that I use a lot due to the light weight. Elmy has been really helpful in the E-trac forum with his tips. Any help from the Explorer guys? Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!! Ted

You know I love my Explorer Ted! I have NOT used the 12x10 but many like it, that’s for sure! I have the 13” Ultimate and do well with it, but don’t use the Explorer enough to warrant buying another coil that’s effectively the same size as the Ultimate. I know for SURE that there are many Explorers still in action, I believe they will be until the next huge breakthrough. I know I will ALWAYS have one around.

I live in England and over here the detech was the coil of choice for most explorer users......almost every explorer you saw had one of these coils attached to it.The main advantage was target seperation,the coil made a significant difference on some of our ancient sites.
As for the explorers relevance.......its a detector that can still keep up with anything in the right hands.

Thanks guys! I just want to experiment with the bigger coil. I want to know if I am missing any coins with the Equinox. I think it's fun to use two different machines.

Ted, I only use my Explorer SE and not being the Pro I have never had a Pro coil. I purchased the 10x12 SEF coil with the SE and ran this combo since 2008. I mainly hunt the same 2 small parks and 1 large fairgrounds for the past 20 years as they continue to produce some nice old silver. In 2017 I decided to order the Detect Ultimate 13 as my finds were falling off. While waiting for the new coil to arrive I slowly and carefully detected 2 high traffic areas in a grid and angle search pattern which produced a nice 1893 Barber dime. The next day received the 13 in the noon mail so changed coils and went back to the park where I found the Barber. Running the same settings I started detecting and in less than 5 min. I got a good signal at 5" and out pops a 1891 seated dime. During the next hour I managed another Barber dime and 2 Mercs all from the same 50' by 50 area. This is a fairly high trash area but the 13 hit them hard and clear. Then I went to my fairgrounds to the same size area I covered same as the park. I had an hour left to hunt and that produced a rosie and a merc. All these coins were between 4" to 6" so depth was not an issue. As you can guess the 13 coil has never come off my detector and the quality and number of finds have increased dramatically in my same old grounds. I realize that all areas are not the same so all I can say is in my area of upstate NY this was a real break thru combo for me. Also my hunting method is to go very slow which the 13 seems to like. The larger the area the slower I go. I credit all my success in detecting to the members of this forum who shared their tips and settings which helped me become a small extension of their talent.

Thanks for the reply RT! This is the info I like to hear! Most of my hunting is done in large open areas and fields. I know Kevin hunts with his Explorer in ball fields like I do and he has some nice video. Great discussion fellas! Thank you!

Reading all this with interest :unsure:
I have the SE Pro since 2015 an used it a lot until the NOX came out.
Also at that time I had a terrible back problem requiring surgery in the winter 2017. Bought a 4" and 8" coil for it at that time.
So in 2017 the newer lighter weight detectors like the NOX were a blessing.
I just don't care much for the NOX at this time.
This Explorer post has peaked my interest again so I watched some old Videos on the Explorers.
Boy I sure do miss those high fluty high tones. :love:
Got me thinking to reactivate the old Pro this spring.
Be sure to let us know how you like that new coil

I have done well with the equinox 600. I can't swing the Explorer SE long periods of time. I do have exclusive permission for a couple of sites that I want to see if I missed anything. I also like the tones that the Explorer gives. If it warms up in a few months,I will report back with my findings! Ted

I have a friend in Spain that runs an SE Pro and a NEL hunter coil. He routinely sends me pictures of coins that “hurt my feelings”🤣. Here is just some of the eye candy he has found, all found with the ‘old, slow’ explorer. The last 2 are gold!

Attachments

• 3041B6DE-78AC-41A9-BD18-58E96D99F725.jpeg
    3041B6DE-78AC-41A9-BD18-58E96D99F725.jpeg
    971.5 KB · Views: 214
  • DD931F73-05B5-435A-9BBD-7AE9A5846124.jpeg
    DD931F73-05B5-435A-9BBD-7AE9A5846124.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 208
  • CBA7F874-D86A-4B48-A0B1-B782EFD2634C.jpeg
    CBA7F874-D86A-4B48-A0B1-B782EFD2634C.jpeg
    742.3 KB · Views: 210
  • E79EDDD7-A5D2-4B41-8ED5-24E0646ACD37.jpeg
    E79EDDD7-A5D2-4B41-8ED5-24E0646ACD37.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 3A6BDC8B-11D5-422F-AF70-772E0243D064.jpeg
    3A6BDC8B-11D5-422F-AF70-772E0243D064.jpeg
    794.4 KB · Views: 207
  • AC2270BB-6AD6-4C86-B30F-56706221FA00.jpeg
    AC2270BB-6AD6-4C86-B30F-56706221FA00.jpeg
    892.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 17963893-EF06-45BA-8B73-59063A5F9817.jpeg
    17963893-EF06-45BA-8B73-59063A5F9817.jpeg
    970.3 KB · Views: 219
Nice coins! Do you know how he sets his machine up? I can't wait till spring!!!
Me too! He runs ferrous tones, fast on, deep on, gain 7, sensitivity as high as possible, and volume max. Not sure about the other settings

"Pretty close to what I run except I don't use fast on and I use conductive most of the time. It is all area dependent."

That's how I run my Explorer SE Pro also.

I remember that you were quite successful with your Explorer. Didn't you also have an Equinox? Ted

I have an SE and have the Detech coil. My Explorer is chest mounted with a 3 cell lipo for power. It will run for days till I need to charge it. I have a Teknetics S rod for it. The thing is extremely lightweight. I am looking for a better chest harness for it. I want to have that done till spring gets here. I used it last year but my current chest mount stretches and I dont like that. The Detech coil is very good. A few years back I hunted alot with a complete SE and dug very deep wheats with it. I won't say how deep because some people would think I am full of it. My ground is very mild.
Smartfind screen, high and to the right. Not alot more to say. Love that Explorer sound!!

Cool! I can't wait to take it out with the SEF...It is warming up her...Hope to go out soon! I would like to know how deep those wheats were...(y)

I have an SE and have the Detech coil. My Explorer is chest mounted with a 3 cell lipo for power. It will run for days till I need to charge it. I have a Teknetics S rod for it. The thing is extremely lightweight. I am looking for a better chest harness for it. I want to have that done till spring gets here. I used it last year but my current chest mount stretches and I dont like that. The Detech coil is very good. A few years back I hunted alot with a complete SE and dug very deep wheats with it. I won't say how deep because some people would think I am full of it. My ground is very mild.
Smartfind screen, high and to the right. Not alot more to say. Love that Explorer sound!!
Let me know if you find a better chest harness Jeff, I’m finding that I don’t care for the GoPro one I set mine up with. Just too “boing-y”.🤣 I have racked my tiny brain and all I come up with is...another trip to the fridge.😀

Jeff, just wondering how you got the coil attached to the control box on the chest mount. The only good way i know of is the coiltek coil cable extender. I called all the dealers I could think of and none of them have it. If you know of any other way please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you find a better chest harness Jeff, I’m finding that I don’t care for the GoPro one I set mine up with. Just too “boing-y”.🤣 I have racked my tiny brain and all I come up with is...another trip to the fridge.😀
Same problem here, a GoPro chest mount is no good.
I know I could modify some of the saftey harnesses used for hunting out of portable tree stands.
I just need to do it.