Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is this even a salvageable item?

Ronstar

One of our Mounted Posse (Horse Posse) ladies in Search and Rescue has been following my conversations on metal detecting and has been telling me about her adventures. Seems as a little girl she used to go with her father into the Nevada desert and she actually found some nuggets using his detector. Her Dad has since passed on she had the detector in storage since moving up to Idaho.

This week she finally crawled into the storage bin and dug it out and brought it out to me last night. She handed me this “thing” about 24-30” long and asked if I could see if it still works. The little detector has 6-7” coil on a twist lock adjustable shaft. The control box is marked “Micronta 4001” and the controls are simply “discriminator” and “volume” and a “meter/batt tester” switch. The headphone plug looked corroded. I turned it over and see it has the RadioShack logo on the back and a battery box cover on the bottom. I opened the cover and the AA batteries were still in it! Plus a sea of bluish colored corrosion, so bad that I am unable to pry the batteries out without using force (I just left it alone for now).

The question here is whether this little gem is recoverable. I’m afraid the corrosion has dealt it a death sentence but thought maybe someone here may have some experience in how to at least try????? (And no Elmy I have not tried the secret sauce, yet….😂)

Attachments

• 40D1CAAE-D74E-4EF0-BCCC-ACE04ECE85BD.jpeg
    40D1CAAE-D74E-4EF0-BCCC-ACE04ECE85BD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 119
  • 7D34EF0C-8FBB-43E7-8EBE-417809D689C9.jpeg
    7D34EF0C-8FBB-43E7-8EBE-417809D689C9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 105
  • 59B33684-299A-4F1A-9277-7BF9E7D8753A.jpeg
    59B33684-299A-4F1A-9277-7BF9E7D8753A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
It is probably salvageable for nostalgia sake. Remove the batteries & dry brush all the corrosion off that you can. Use a toothpick to get what can be loosened. Baking Soda paste will neutralize & clean what is left. Follow up with Electric contact cleaner in any hard to reach places.
It sounds like she is a good candidate to introduce to the hobby. Santa needs to bring her a Simplex.

I think sentimental to her. If I can get it cleaned up and its turns on then mission accomplished. Will start on it Monday.
Thanks for the tips.

I would try to fix it, even if it costs very cheap. It would be like a challenge. In addition to being able to return it to its owner.

I remember seeing them advertised in comic books when I was a kid. It looks pretty similar to the little cheap detector sold at Harbor Freight these days .

Well I got it as cleaned out as possible, inserted 6 new AA batteries and nothing. RIP (well she did say it was in a non climatized storage for 20 years…….)