Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is this modern?

Erndog

Dug this one up recently.
It appears to be .36 caliber and 5/8" long.
Is it CW era, or modern? The only thing that has me wondering is the recessed base. Dug up near Sailors Creek Battlefield. There was a Naval contingent involved, and I know some Naval pistols were .36 caliber.
36 cal (1).jpg36 cal (2).jpg36 cal (3).jpg

Hollow Base bullets are common, often used for muzzleloaders, handgun and rifle.

Can you state actual diameter & weight? Those are the keys.

Look too long for .36 percussion revolvers (would lower powder capacity). Until modern times, I think they all used round balls in the percussion revolvers.

Percussion revolvers commonly used conical bullets as well as round balls. Factory furnished bullet moulds often were 2 cavity; one RB, one Conical. The found bullet above does look later era to me as there is no grease groove. Looks like a .355" for .380/9mm Corto. Hard to know for sure without verifying weight & diameter.

Percussion revolvers commonly used conical bullets as well as round balls. Factory furnished bullet moulds often were 2 cavity; one RB, one Conical. The found bullet above does look later era to me as there is no grease groove. Looks like a .355" for .380/9mm Corto. Hard to know for sure without verifying weight & diameter.

They used conicals, but they were very short conicals, not a long bullet like this one.

Diameter is a little difficult. I am pretty sure it is a 36 caliber. It is slightly out of round and varies from .339" to .365".
It is 5/8" long, actual is .603"
Weight is 7 grams, or 108 grains. I can only measure to within a gram.
I hope this helps.