Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is this thing worth drooling over?

rwsnc

It looks like it's got great potential. Is it worth drooling over? I suspect so (but hope not).

http://www.minelab.com/consumer/page.php?section=272&pId=26&pNm=Safari&x=y

I'd agree with Goes4ever. Thoughts of having an E-Trac has been dancing around in my mind since it hit the streets. :stars:
The Safari offers a single TID conductivity of the target. Very similar to the Quattro. It is my understanding, however, that the Safari (and E-Trac) have a much faster processor than the Quattro, plus the new FBS coil. Both of those are welcome additions to the FBS detectors. The Explorer and the E-Trac offer both ferrous and conductive TID, simultaneously. That combination has been (and will continue to be) tough for any other make and model to compete with.
I've owned the Quattro and several Explorers. They are good detectors. And with the Explorers, I appreciate knowing the "complete" metallic makeup of the target. But the ergonomics just don't work out for me. That is one of the big reasons I'm considering an E-Trac. I've been told that the angle of the grip makes a lot of difference in how it "feels". It is also a matter of economics....... keeping in mind that you have to put your coil over the target to hear it, how many more "goodies" will it take to justify the additional cost? That question must be answered on an individual basis. JMHO HH Randy

Well that's great timing on Minelab's part. It's getting close to Christmas AND I've already bought all but one or two coils for my X70.

The 70 still rules my type of turf over the E-Trac and Safari.....................could you imagine everytime you were heading out the door and your wife asks you where you are going? "Oh on a safari my dear". The X-Terra's are getting on these days but are still in a class all of there own. The sensitivity factor on gold alone in prospect mode still holds a royal flush for me but if you were a coin and relic hunter only then and maybe then you might consider an explorer type machine. As far as versatility goes until minelab brings out an updated version of the 70 that can use any coil from any supplier Im not intrested.
Cheers!

Everyone else and Randy, yes the BBS and FBS units are ace machines and the best on the market BUT as I have heard I don't know how many times before from different people and twice from you. Musky over Sov. in coverage and you heard from an expert on the Explorer that doing a living room size plot of land in something like hour(s) then a person is doing it too fast. The painfully slow ground coverage of these machines to attain their maximim potential and maximum depth. This would defeat the whole purpose of using a large 12x15 or 15x18 SEF coil to cover large amount of ground in a day. In other words the best single frequency VLF machines will hunt about 3 times faster and cover about 3 times more ground than the BBS and FBS machines at the about same depth in grounds like black dirt, plowed fields, very low mineralization, turf-sod and grass. Beachcomber once told me once the BBS or FBS units don't do well in plowed fields.

BUT on the other hand on wet salt sand, mild to medium mineralization, and in high trash areas also for the best IDing in the world are where BBS and FBS machines truely shine and are far superior over single frequency VLF machines, and they are the best machines in the world for these type of conditions and that is why I would like to own an E-Trac to compliment my X-Terra 70.

Even though I have not had it long, I love my X-Terra 70, but it cannot tell the difference between different types of Canadian pennies and silver dimes. The reason is so I can knock out the annoying new pennies and at the same time still dig old pennies and silver dimes. This is what I want and I think an E-Trac can do this as it is has a more surgical precise discrimination.

Hum.... I think I'll just stay with my XT70 for a while and wipe the drool off my chin.

I had the chance to check one out at my friends shop. Looks to me to have potential. From what I saw in looking it over for just a few minutes, it lacks a couple of features that I would want like manual GB and tracking on/off. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this... If it is what it's supposed to be, should go deep like the explorers but a lot easier to turn on and go.

It's not for me! Being physically challenged, I already dig deep enough with my X-Terra 50, can hold it for long periods of time, and incredibly easy to operate. If circumstances were different, I'd be wiping the slobber of my chin.

:detecting::minelab:rules

I have both, the Xtera 70 and the Etrac. The Xtera feels like half the weight. The Etrac sure gives an accurate reading of the target, especially if you run opposing 90 degree sweeps. The Etrac does run a lot slower but then again, its ID limits your amount of digging. I drool over both of them. I carry both in the field. I do use the Etrac for most coin work now but just had some help regarding gold prospecting and might be running the Xterra pretty hard in the gold fields. I have to admit, I sure wouldnt want to choose between having one or the other. Both great machines.

based on what I've personally witnessed from my having owned the Quattro and several Explorers, I'll keep using the X-Terra. Lighter weight, faster sweep, quicker response and (with the X-70 Prospecting mode) a more versatile detector for the type of hunting I do. And frankly, I don't think I'd benefit from a larger coil. I firmly believe, at least in this neck of the woods, there are more old coins still hiding out there due to target masking then due to extreme depth. Now, if I could just get Minelab to make a 6-inch DD at 3 kHz! HH Randy

rwsnc said:
It looks like it's got great potential. Is it worth drooling over? I suspect so (but hope not).

It's a good (and newly announced) detector aimed at coin & treasure hunters... but there's no need to sell your X-Terra 70 and buy one: This is not a replacement for the X-Series and the X-Terra 70 still holds its own as the best multi-purpose VLF detector out there.

But feel free to drool anyway!

Good stuff everyone here area some depth reports on the E-Trac. It's depth is not the be all and end all as you can see. A single frequency X-Terra 70, Musketeer Advantage, and F75 should match this depth or maybe beat it in grounds like black dirt, plowed fields, very low mineralization, turf-sod and grass with about 3 times more ground coverage. So in these types of grounds, with lower non-ferrous trash in larger farmers fields and homesteads for coins, jewlery, and relics(and of course for prospecting) I am NOT using any FBS or BBS machine. But on wet salt sand, mild to medium mineralization, and in high non-ferrous trash areas for the best IDing to do the least amount of digging non-ferrous trash I WOULD use an E-Trac:

EddieB, "I myself use the x1 probe on my etrac...As for the 19 ins air testing on a penny, my machine gets around 10ins."

ZincolnDigr, "I have both an Etrac and an SE. No way am I getting 19" on a coin air testing. The SE and Etrac get similar results air testing. Around 10" on a penny as well."

JohnTN, "Today I dug 10 silver coins and 4 wheats in under 3 hours with the E-trac. In a spot I have been over no less than 50 times with many other machines. We have had rain the past two nights and the ground is very moist. I imagine that probably had alot to do with it. Every coin was 7"-10" and most had rusty nails in the same hole. The most I have ever dug was 8 in one day and that was a couple years ago.......I was using the SEF 15x12 for about 2 hours and found 3 mercs. Then changed to the stock Pro Coil and dug the rest in about an hour in the same spot I had already been over with the SEF hmmmm."

The SEF 15x12 found 3 of the coins then the 11" Pro Coil found 7 more that the SEF missed in about 1/2 the time in the same spot gone over again a second time.

A CoilTek 15" WOT should be tried on the E-Trac and compared to the SEF. That is the coil I am going to buy for my Musky to use on those black dirts plowed farmers fields--homesteads. "I" do think it is better than the SEF coils.

I did read a report by Andy Sabisch that the 15" WOT does not have reduced sensitivity to coins because of its big size. It does not lose any sensitivity to smaller targets with the increased depth. Coins depths reaching 2 feet in wet salt sand as well in the report as well. Ideal for searching wide open areas also. It was in an older issue of Lost Treasure and on DOC's website.

Another opinion about the slowness of the Explorer SE (FBS):
(And why I would never use a FBS and BBS machine on low non-ferrous trash black dirt plowed famers fields--homesteads if I want to cover as much ground as possible in a day. Get a very quick single frequency VLF with a big DD coil for this and that is why I bought a Musky and getting a 15" DD WOT for it. Yes I could have got an MXT with a large SEF or a F75 with a large SEF as well but I think the Musky is the best choice for me on a straight shaft and I am getting a bungee cord set up for it on a shaft bow knuckle. My X-Terra 70 is great but only a 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz for it which will do the job as well.)

DFX-Gregg wrote, "Hi David, the ones you mentioned are all good detectors. The Se has the depth advantage over the dfx. But the dfx responds much quicker and seems to normally find more coins than my se. The dfx also has the edge on jewelry, I was finding a lot more jewelry with the dfx. I am putting in between 9-14 a week on the Se. I immediately switched to a Minelab 8 " coithat I purchased. I knew I would be swinging long hard hours to learn it. Drepth wise the Xlt and dfx are the same...the dfx has the edge with its multi frequency on the beach over the xlt for salt cancellation. But if you are not using the coin machine on the beach the xlt or mxt would cover it.

I am still not sure I could justify the difference in price of the dfx and Se. But the Se seems of higher quality parts and is easier to make adjustments to. I think it boils down to what you want more...your recoveries between 0-7 inches and very easy pinpointing...than the dfx. If depth is what you are after...go with the Se. The main thing with the Se is it operates very very slowly...sometimes seems like a signal behind! You must hunt extremely slowly with the Se, but gain the depth advantage in doing so. Remember Whites warranties are transferable, Minelab's are not. Usually either are very easy to pick up at quite a discount used. Especially at the @#$%&, or treasure depot forums. Good luck with your choice, I am glad I have both, allows for a nice change of pace."

n/t

Having been over the years a guy who tends to buy the latest and greatest, I've realized that the newest detector out there has very little improved performance over the one you got last year. Getting a new detector is fun, but not a marked improvement over what you already probably have. In fact, you'll probably suffer in performance because you don't know how to get the most out of the new one. I am pretty good with the 70 and the T-2, and it will be a while before I buy another detector. When a new Xterra type detector comes out and gets another 6 inches on a dime, I'll get one. Do you really think that the Etrac just blows away the Explorer? I would doubt it.

That is why as I was telling you before that the snail low FBS and BBS machines are not a good choice in black dirt plowed fields and almost non-mineralized grass turf with low non-ferrous trash and I much prefer a fast (S.F.) VLF with a bigger coil to search about 3 times faster. But they have their place and FBS and BBS machines are better than (S.F.) VLF's for more minerals, wet saltwater sand, and in high non-ferrous trash for the best ID'ers(FBS) with a strong discrimination.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,845328
Andy Sabisch (long time metal detector writer and tester.)
November 09, 2008

Minelab FBS detectors are terrible when air tested and not much better on a freshly buried target.
When we have done side-by-side testing with FBS-detectors (Explorer, Quattro, Safari, E-Trac) and other brands, the only real test is on a long-time buried target which we mark with a poker chip or golf tee and compare all the detectors to before disturbing ANY of the soil.

...but I have found that testing on long-time buried signals is the only true way to see how an FBS detector compares against another detector, especially a VLF unit where air or freshly buried target testing can often look better than "real world" targets

Andy

Another one for you from Jackpine Savage. Showing again that BBS and FBS is not superior in all conditions being slower and no deeper in grass turf black dirt.:
The WOT and 12.5" Excelerator are both very deep especially on larger targets like tokens and quarters. The first time I used the 12.5"(on the Musketeer Advantage) I was at a hunted out park where the good targets and the iron are both very deep. The big coil reached down into that zone amazing my buddy and I with its depth. He ordered an (Musketeer)Advantage for himelf the next week. BTW he was a long time Sovereign user. We had hunted that park with Sov's, CZ's the Coinstrike and others with the bigger coils.