Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is this what I think it is?

Jack Beam

Hey all! I was goin thru some items to be disposed of , and I came across this item! First of all I really don't live in an area of much CW action, some but not much at all. But, I have found 3 civil war era items in the surrounding area over the past few years. I saw this piece, and to me, it looked liked a part of an exploded Grenade! I looked at some images on line and I did see some similar pics of this! I figured this was the place to post this, if not feel free to delete this post. I just was not sure! I figured CCH or Larry or whomever could figure this out . Thanks for takin the time to look! HH J.B.

It looks like it could have come from the top of a flagpole or fence. (pinnacle) :shrug:

I agree with Larry looks like top of a flag pole to me or possibly a old door knob.

I believe it's brass. Kinda heavy. You would think if it was, a grenade, there wouldn't be anything left of it. Kinda far fetched notion, I guess! lol Probably is a doorknob! Thanks for helping anyways!

Definitely not a CW grenade or modern grenade. Was there an old homesite nearby? CCH

don't think it is a doorknob either, I am looking for a picture to try to help narrow it down but some of the harnes hames had brass tops like that and the other thing I was thinking especially since it seems a heavy brass is a "don't know what it is called " but it would go over the end of a Bulls horn the hole is to screw it to the horn, so people would not get stuck by the horn.

I will try to find a picture of the items I am talking about

Thinking that is resembles a crotal bell in some ways but probably an item known as an "ox knob" which goes on the end of the horn of an oxen or bull. I've found a couple of them over the last few years. Keep on digging that area. CCH

It is a knob off ahorse hame. Picture on the left.http://www.schaafleatherwork.com/pages/horse/hames.html

Good eye Travis.

Definately good eye! Thanks for the info fellas! This area is pretty old and has produced some old coins! I'll definately keep lookin! Thanks again !

The mystery is solved. Good job. CCH