Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It look as if Whites did it again!!!

Where does it all end, will the next generation be pushing $2000? Got ahave it got a have it gota have it gimmeee gimmeee MMMMMM!
Nice!

I think it will not take that long to break the $2,000 mark. I finally realized last week that I am getting really old when I needed an energy boost after a long day of work. I paid $1.50 for a candy bar that once cost me a nickel.

I can remember buying a New V.W. for $1,500.00 :clapping: I can also remember candy bars @ 3 for a Dime(Silver)and go to a double feature for Forty nine cents. If I said to my wife I want a new detector, I need $1,500.00 I'll be looking for a place to stay and a lawyer:punch: I guess I am really getting old too:cry:!

Yeah the future sucks don't it. :rofl: I remember when my mom would give me a quarter and it would pay my way into the movies and buy me a box of popcorn, a candy bar, and a coke. Now as you say it won't even buy a candy bar. Detectors are getting too expensive. In the fifties you could buy a new car for what a detector costs today. :)

Bill

The hefty detector cost are to pay for the bonuses that the CEO'S get:laugh:

From another forum, but I'm pretty sure the author would be OK with my posting it - a lot of what you are seeing in these prices is just the effect of inflation. Since 1915 or thereabouts, prices have doubled every 15 - 20 years. Here's a countdown on your new detector price:

I was curious what a $1500 detector would have cost in the past, adjusted for inflation. Using an online inflation calculator, here's what I found:

2009: $1500
1999: $1177
1989: $876
1979: $513
1969: $259
1959: $205

If you go back through old product catalogs, I think you'll find that these prices are, indeed, about where top-end detectors were selling. So a $1500 detector in 2009 is not out-of-line, especially compared to the BFO technology you got in 1969.

After seeing those numbers... I really appreciate my dad stretching to buy me a Garrett Deepseeker (@ 279.95!!!) in '73. (Going to do something nice for him today.)

That silver quarter will get you into the movie. The way the government is printing money, that silver quarter will be worth a heck of a lot more pretty soon.

Find enough of them and those silver quarters will buy that Vision and then some.

this is electronics we're talking about, which generally have become MORE affordable with time. I could spend the exact same amount of money on a computer that I did in 1993 and get a much better machine (same money, NOT adjusted for inflation). We're basically talking the same kind of tech here.

So, why does it work for computers but not metal detectors? Scale due to volumes sold allowing cheaper prices (ignoring inflation) ?

You will not find many people using the computer they bought in 1986 for around $2000 or $3000 even thinking of using it! They are all outdated and "disposable". BUT many a WHITES detector from the 80's are still being used! (By newbies like me!)

What hobby is not expensive? I have more than that tied up in my fishing gear not including my boat and even more tied up in my hunting gear with big game and small game guns and the amount I spend every year on hunting trips. And for you guys that are afraid of what your wife will say...........Wusssssssssssy! The price of enjoyment? Priceless.

Yeah willie, if you find out what happened let me know too, will ya. Found a "27 Buffalo nickel in my change the other day. Worth about 49 times more now than it was new. HH floridason