Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It took over 9 years...finally key date silver!

marcomo

I've got well over 3,000 wheaties I've never checked the dates on, so I can't say for sure this is my first key date coin. But copper and nickel coins lose almost all value when they make a home in the ground, so this is definitely my first key date coin of any consequence.

It hit consistently in the low 90's with nary an 80's bounce on my AT Pro with the 5X8 coil, so I had my hopes up for silver before I dug.

When I pulled it out of the ground, it was covered in a clump of dirt on both sides and I could only see the edge, so I didn't even realize what I had until I got home and cleaned it. I knew it was silver, I figured it was probably a Washington quarter.

This is my sixth SLQ but only my third with a visible date. Funny thing is, I know where the mintmark is on the SLQ, but I don't find them often and the strike is so weak I didn't even notice the "s" until I was going to put it in a 2X2 a couple days ago and I took a good look at it with a magnifier.

I have all my silver coins in 2X2s along with documentation of where and when I found them. I'll admit that's kind of anal/dorky. But this is one find that definitely merits it.

One day I hope to find one of those 16-D mercs like my friend Del and several others on this forum have.

Sweet find marcomo!! Congrats on the beautiful SLQ :beers:

Beautiful find!:surprised:

Beautiful early SL, congrats! It's a thrill to find a nice one like that .
HH - Bruce