Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It took over 9 years...finally key date silver!

marcomo

I've got well over 3,000 wheaties I've never checked the dates on, so I can't say for sure this is my first key date coin. But copper and nickel coins lose almost all value when they make a home in the ground, so this is definitely my first key date coin of any consequence.

It hit consistently in the low 90's with nary an 80's bounce on my AT Pro with the 5X8 coil, so I had my hopes up for silver before I dug.

When I pulled it out of the ground, it was covered in a clump of dirt on both sides and I could only see the edge, so I didn't even realize what I had until I got home and cleaned it. I knew it was silver, I figured it was probably a Washington quarter.

This is my sixth SLQ but only my third with a visible date. Funny thing is, I know where the mintmark is on the SLQ, but I don't find them often and the strike is so weak I didn't even notice the "s" until I was going to put it in a 2X2 a couple days ago and I took a good look at it with a magnifier.

I have all my silver coins in 2X2s along with documentation of where and when I found them. I'll admit that's kind of anal/dorky. But this is one find that definitely merits it.

One day I hope to find one of those 16-D mercs like my friend Del and several others on this forum have.

Marconi, that's a once in a lifetime find right there! Very nice. Those SLO quarters are definitely prone to wear the dates off really fast due to the design. Most of the time you can't even read the date, and also to be able to read the mint mark was a nice bonus.

Congrats, nice find.

I found a few SLQ but not a lot, I also put my silver in 2x2's and here in the last 10 years I have been keeping a pretty good log sheet of when and where.

Ron in WV

Beautiful design indeed. I was lucky enough to find my first one earlier this year with intact date. It might be my last since I'm in Canada but I'll treasure it.

Hey Marcus my friend---congrats on that '19S SLQ--that's a nice looking coin.---My wife & I (together) have found 32 SLQ's (11 of them with readable dates, a couple of them being '17D's)--the rest had worn off dates.-----Never have found a readable date 1919S, you made a great find.-----The Standing Liberty quarter was a short production series & finding ANY SLQ is cool beans!-----It literally took me thousands upon thousands of coin finds to get my '16D Merc and when it finally happened, it was about 5" deep in damp ground.-----That's why they call this great hobby "dirt fishing"---you just never know what you are going to catch.------Seeing your post makes me want to get out & go detecting!:thumbup:------------Del

Marcomo,
Really, Really nice SLQ !! Way to go! ......shoot....putting your finds in those 2x2's
Is not a bad idea....not at all.....I don't. Think....in the years past ,,,I had put all my good
Coins in them and documented ,,,, just like you...
Anyway..... That sure is a gorgeous. One......i like all that detail ....and like some othes
Mentioned. I wish our U.S. Treasury Dept. Would put some good designers and good
art work into our modern day coins too....

They sure don't. Make them like they used to
Congrads!
HH

Thank you guys, and yes it is a great design. It's a matter of personal opinion, but I consider the early 20th century the epitome of coin design - The Buffalo nickel, Mercury dime and the Walking Liberty half. So beautiful compared to what came before and especially compared to the presidential and famous person portrait designs that followed. Also from the early 20th century the stunning $20 St. Gaudens gold.

Thanks also to Ron for letting me know I'm not the only one in this hobby who is a bit anal about record keeping with finds. Future generations may or may not find it interesting, depending on whether my kids sell it for bullion value after I kick the bucket.:rofl:

Del, that's only about 1 out of 3 SLQ's with dates. That's worse than those Buffalos. Now get out there and find some more, young fella!:detecting:

n/t

Beautiful coin and Prettiest design made IMHO. I found a few pre 1925s with date but not many. 1925 and later they recessed the date so more likely to find one of those still dated. For some reason found My best ones First couple Years in Hobby way back when. Haven't found a Nice one in Years. They are sweet for sure.

marcomo said:
I've got well over 3,000 wheaties I've never checked the dates on, so I can't say for sure this is my first key date coin. But copper and nickel coins lose almost all value when they make a home in the ground, so this is definitely my first key date coin of any consequence.

It hit consistently in the low 90's with nary an 80's bounce on my AT Pro with the 5X8 coil, so I had my hopes up for silver before I dug.

When I pulled it out of the ground, it was covered in a clump of dirt on both sides and I could only see the edge, so I didn't even realize what I had until I got home and cleaned it. I knew it was silver, I figured it was probably a Washington quarter.

This is my sixth SLQ but only my third with a visible date. Funny thing is, I know where the mintmark is on the SLQ, but I don't find them often and the strike is so weak I didn't even notice the "s" until I was going to put it in a 2X2 a couple days ago and I took a good look at it with a magnifier.

I have all my silver coins in 2X2s along with documentation of where and when I found them. I'll admit that's kind of anal/dorky. But this is one find that definitely merits it.

One day I hope to find one of those 16-D mercs like my friend Del and several others on this forum have.

I wonder why on these Quarters in the word TRUST they used a V instead of a U? "IN GOD WE TRVST"
Very Nice Find Indeed!

Mark

That's a good question, Mark. and there is a reason for it.

In Latin the letter v is the equivalent of u in English.

In the early 20th century there was a design trend that was influenced by the old Roman Empire. And Romans spoke Latin. I guess you could say it was the designer taking artistic license. The Peace Dollar which was introduced five years after the SLQ also used the v in trust.

I don't think anybody complained about it...unlike the exposed breast of the early SLQs.