Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

It's my understanding that any headphones with the following spec will work...

Erik in NJ

On the CTX:

1) STEREO headphones (with a 1/4" stereo jack)

2) MONO headphones (with a 1/4" mono jack)

3) MONO headphones (with a 1/4" stereo jack if the tip, ring, and sleeve are all properly wired and the ring and sleeve are tied together)

It seems that the mono headphones should also work on the Explorer, no?

Can anyone please confirm this?

Thanks!

There still seems to be quite a bit of confusion regarding the headphone issue. Can anyone confirm the assertions in my initial post?

Also are the new Pro Gold CTX compatible headphones true stereo or did they jump the ring and sleeve wires in the phones? Since they are backward compatible with the Explorer/eTrac I assume it's the latter fix.

I would also like to know if the wireless module has the same wiring requirements as the detector. I was using my Gray Ghost phones plugged into the wireless unit, but it didn't dawn on me to check for sound coming out of the speaker too!

Thanks for any input!

Once the CTX has been paired with the WM10 module, whenever you turn the module on, it shuts off the speaker in the CTX. Headphones work fine with the WM10 module, without modification. I have used the SunRay headphones that I used with my XS and E-Trac with no problems. I did make the pigtail that Digger showed how to make in an earlier post, so I would be able to use my non-modified headphones, plugged into the jack in the CTX, if ever needed. When land detecting, I actually prefer not being tethered to the CTX while detecting. Which is a feature that I thought I wouldn't use initially.

Here's the link to the post about the pigtail, if you haven't seen it.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1729960,1729960#msg-1729960

Thanks for the feedback C&R....I thought my Gray Ghosts worked with the wireless module, but I wasn't sure....very strange that the jack on the machine and the jack on the module would be configured differently. So the module must be capable of detecting and switching between stereo and a mono configured stereo plug. That's kind of wacky....

Just funnin' about... This has all been went over a zillion times already so I'm not gonna do anything but aggravate you... My job is done here...

G..

Well I heard "it's been gone over" but dealers and users alike are confused and sick inquiring minds like mine need to know! :bouncy:

Seriously Guv....there is massive confusion on the "headphone question" :help: ..... Even poor Bryce tried to rewire his headphones with the instruction found here and now they're picking up Casey Kasem's top 40!! :cheekkiss: (and now he's finding GOLD!!!) :lmfao:

My GG NDT's work properly with the Wireless Module when the toggle for the GG headphone compensation network is in the down position. Audio is not emitted through the headphones with the toggle in the up position. Similarly, having the toggle in the down position is required for use with my E-TRAC and X-TERRAs.
Headphone Sensing (via the sleeve lead) is not required with the CTX 3030 Wireless Module (only +/- audio) because the detector speaker is disconnected (electronically) when the Module is paired up.

Thanks Digger, but the module itself has it's own speaker and I'm a bit surprised to see different "logic" between the platforms. Any ideas?? I'm assuming the Koss stereo phones do work with the wireless module.

Check the box when you get there to turn on your super power... As far as Bryce touching wiring... I'll call Bryce tomorrow and check on your story... especially if he's now getting Casey's GOLD...

As to your massive confusion I'm not sure there is an app for that... :D

Go check your forum...

G..

The Koss headphones provided with the CTX 3030 will work with the Wireless module.

As to the different "logic" used in the detector opposed to the wireless module....:shrug: My guess would be due to the differences in requirements by each unit. The detector is wired to an internal speaker and the waterproof headphone pins. You can't move headphone pins by inserting a plug. So they made a requirement for a signal lead (sensing) to notify the detector that a set of headphones had been implemented. With Stereo plugs being TRS, it stands to reason that the sleeve lead was used for the signal circuit. So now we move on to the Headphone module....... the headphone module simply continues the wiring arrangement of the waterproof pin assembly, and terminates them on a physical jack. And with the reasoning that we still require a sleeve lead to notify the detector that headphones have been implemented, the "mechanical" jack of the headphone module must be TRS as well. This allows the Tip and Ring to carry the audio, and the Sleeve to be used to complete the sensing circuit.

With the implementation of the Wireless module, the speaker in the detector is disconnected electronically as the module is paired up with the CTX. This is software driven as indicated by the ability of the user to select that option in their CTX 3030. So with the internal CTX speaker disabled, the audio response is now provided through the speaker in the wireless module. A stereo plug includes the Tip, Ring and Sleeve. A mono plug only has Tip and Sleeve. But if you examine the location of the Ring section of a Stereo plug, and compare that with the location of the Sleeve on the Mono plug, you'l see that the contact point for each is the same distance from the Tip.
[attachment 241069 300px-Jack_plug.png]

So regardless of whether you are using a stereo plug or a mono plug with the wireless module, the jack will contact the plugs in the same physical locations. Since the wireless module allows for both Stereo and Mono headphone applications, it would suggest to me that the speaker in the wireless module is disconnected by a physical action of the jack assembly, not by a "sensing" circuit as used by the waterproof headphones or the headphone module. If the speaker within the module is deactivated by a physical action within the wireless module jack instead of a sensing lead (as in the CTX itself), I believe that the wireless module could use either a Mono jack with audio on the Tip and Sleeve, or a Stereo jack with the audio provided on the Tip and Ring. At that point, regardless of whether they are stereo or mono, series or parallel, the wiring within the headphones will pass the audio on to the headphone speakers.

[attachment 241070 ctxmonoplugwiring.jpg]
[attachment 241071 ctxstereoheadphonewiring.jpg]

As I said, this is merely a guess on my part. And it was quite late when I made the effort. Not being involved in the design of the audio circuitry on the CTX, visualizing how it might work is all I can offer! HH Randy

Thanks Digger and C&R for helping out once again! You guys are great!

Love the new pistol avatar digger!

Thanks for the post Digger.....I have some comments, but no time at the moment so I will reply when I can. Just wanted to thank you for the lengthy reply.

Regards, Erik

Hello Eriik,
I have a pair of Sunray Golds that I can use with the wireless module on the CTX without any problems at all and if I use the
adapter it will let me use my other headphones and not miss a beat. Gary

Hi Gary, Thanks for the info. My Gray Ghost NDTs also work with the wireless module. For some reason, the wireless module allows a stereo jack with only 2 segments connected unlike the CTX. I've confirmed that any stereo headset will work on the CTX. I suspect any headphones with a mono plug (2 segment--tip & sleeve) will also work (jumpering the sleeve and ring wires are effectively converting a stereo plug wired for mono phones to a mono plug as far as the unit is concerned). The Explorer accepts just the tip and ring being wired (with the sleeve connector being left open), but fact that they bothered to put stereo plugs (with a mode switch) on all these mono phones is baffling to me still--must be some odd historic reason on some obscure machines. Putting a 1/4" stereo jack on a set of phones that won't play in stereo was just the wrong thing to do to begin with and never should have been proliferated. The acceptance of stereo phones on the CTX is a step in the right direction!