Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I've been hunting the last few days in the relic pattern and conductive...

jbow

conductive sounds, multi tone, deep on, fast on, high trash, difficult ground. Actually I was using Jasons relic pattern which has a little more disced out but not much.

I hear a LOT of tones but, (and I am sure that this is what people love about the Explorer in AM/ferrous), I am beginning to be able to hunt by just listening to the audio. I am beginning to know what a target is before looking at the screen, at least I have a good idea and look at the screen to verify. I went to an old ball field yesterday evening for about 2 hours and got 2.76 in change this way.. just listening and stopping when I got a good audio signal. I'd have done a good bit better if the mosquitos had not run me off an area. There are old bleachers back about 10' into the woods on the far side of the field. I was hunting the grass at the edge of the field that is in front of the old bleachers and doing well, but the mosquitos were doing better. Farther back, behind the bleachers are some old concrete foundations from some even older grandstand... i'm going to hit around them this winter when the undergrowth in down.

Anyway... I really, really like this machine... and I really like this pattern. I use it in older sites with ferrous sounds/2 tones and when coin hunting as I noted above. It works well in both ferrous 2 tone and conductive multitone according to the site. I use QM 30 for a double check but I don't like hunting in QM.

I use the digital screen, i'm not sure I see the advantage to hunting in the pattern screen. I will switch there to see how the cursor bounces on an iffy high tone. Other that being used to the 'smartfing'. If you use the pattern screen, why do you choose it over the digital screen? I like seeing the large numbers and I am learning them...

I'm still using auto +3 most of the time. High sens in manual, in most sites, at least for me, causes way too much falsing. Then again... i'm beginning to be able to recognize a false. Most don't repeat more than once or twice. As I get better at it I will try using manual more and increase the sens as I feel confident with it.

I like this detector far more than any other I have had.

Julien

and you get bigger numbers... since for me anyway I can not go by tone anymore, and everything on the FE scale jumps around so much you cant really judge where it falls on the screen so you may as well have the big numbers to look at..
They say teh numbers and crosshairs are faster than the explorer, but at least on the explorer they stay put better... I have a heck of a time not getting those off the edge of coil hits when trying to get a reading on an iffy target.. and they make the reading change before I can get my magnifying glass out or take the cover off to read them :)

Do you hunt with the cover on all the time or just if it's raining? I never use it unless it's raining. I do put a Palm screen protector on all my detectors as soon as I get them. I don't like covers though, I can't see through them.

J

Hey Jim, Will you please email me your coin - trash chart??? blublazn@watchtv.net Jbow, I have found alot of coins with deep on, fast off, manual 27-28 in the factory coin mode with multi tone. Pinpoint everything that sounds good!! Once you get it pinpointed center over it be really still for a moment...... Then do a wiggle and watch only the conduct number if it reads good conductivity wise dig dig dig.. Then once I get the good target out it will most times null do to a rejected target near by so that has been throwing the FE number off alot!! Just try it you may be surprised!

I have to agree on some of those comments!! As a tone hunter, I can no longer tell the difference between, Clad penny/dime/wheat/silver dime. At least qtr hits slightly higher but the other high condictive coins sound the same to me.

The screen with cover on is horrible!!

I still need more time with the E-Trac. It is quick and coins sound good but still have not dug any of the 13" coins and still trying to get deeper than 8" on a coin. I know they are there as I continue to find them with the SE in the parks that I am testing the E-Trac.

I know--It's not an Explorer!

I am beginning to tweak a few things to make it more of a tone machine--like using the gain at 15-16. This allows me to cherry pick for deep targets regardless of tone. This lends itself to my style of park hunitng and I have dug a few wheats in the 7-8" range without looking at the screen. Like I said it will take time, but still feel that Minelab could have made a great machine even better with a few more "refinements"

just my take

Ron

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,820520,820520#msg-820520

Julien

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00062GJ8E/ref=dp_olp_2

They are also anti-glare, scroll down the page for come cheaper prices...

Julien

Look down in this thread at the Palm screen covers, they works well.

Julien