Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I've tried reading posts, forgive me if this GB SE question has been answered...

Steve (sgoss66), I can tell you that your F70 will be used much less once you get the Gold Bug or G2, heck, my F5 is now collecting dust and that was my main unit til I got the Gold Bug (Cabela's model with version 3) works like the Pro model.

Well hershey1 and BH_Landstar, you are two people who just said the exact same thing. Very, very interesting.

The reason I said that I'd use a Bug or G2 as a backup, is because I am REALLY concerned about the depth on silver, from the feedback from some who have used them. The places I hunt here have very, very little shallower silver, in my experience, (not unusual, I know), but also generally bad soil -- a double whammy. I have many, many hours pounding the oldest local parks I have (around 1900-ish), mostly with Bounty Hunter machines. I have never found a silver coin, and only a few wheats. I gave up on the BH machines ONLY because they would not go deep enough in my soil. I found alot of clad with them, and really like the machines, but they just wouldn't see deep enough. That's why I switched first from a SharpShooter II to a Time Ranger, and then recently, sprung for the even more sensitive F70. I can air-test a dime to 12" with the F70, and a quarter over 14". Clearly, I won't even approach that depth in my red-clay soil here, but hopefully with some more hours on this unit, I'll find a piece of silver or two, eventually, hiding in the 6-10" depth range. My fear is that if I get the G-2 or Gold Bug, that the silver depth issue that I have heard about with at least SOME of the machines will bite me hard, and I'll be back where I was with the BH machines (in terms of depth). In other words -- with a Gold Bug or G2, I am concerned that while I'd have a killer on shallow coins, and a machine better than anything I've ever used -- in iron trash, and on nickels/gold jewelry/gold nuggets, I fear it would be a machine that is blind to the deeper silver, in my soil type. I know depth is NOT everything, and the fast recovery speed and separation/iron see-though would WAY exceed my BH machines, so I'm not saying they would not be an improvement over the BH units (or even my F70 in some ways). It is strictly a depth-on-silver coins issue that has me concerned. Please understand I'm not trying to exasperate anyone here, just really trying to understand before making any more purchases.

That's why I've been making these excessive posts about the "silver issues" on some of the Gold Bugs. I'm just trying to fully understand. So much conflicting info; some (like you two) telling me my F70 would absolutely collect dust if I get one; others I trust with earlier versions of the GBs saying "cannot air test a quarter beyond 6 inches" and "have never found a quarter deeper than 3 inches in the ground," stuff like that. Heck, even my BH SharpShooter would hit one at 7" in an air test.

BOTTOM LINE --

To spring for one of these machines, I simply need to know that they WILL hit deeper silver, OR if not, that there is a fix from Fisher for my machine to ensure that it will. If I could get testimony from some folks here to tell me that an 7-8" dime and an 8-9" quarter would hit, and ID semi-well, in red clay soil, on the Bug or G2, I'd buy one. Period. I just simply fear taking the step "backwards" to where I was with a BH machine, in terms of deep coins. I would definitely settle for less than "world class" depth, and know that a 19 kHz machine is not designed to nail deep silver. But 8-9" I'd be satisfied with, in my red clay. Some of the earlier Bugs, based on user testimony, simply would NOT even APPROACH this. Do the new and/or upgraded ones do so? That is the question that remains unanswered in my mind, and that keeps me from getting one so far.

Thanks guys,

Steve

If the GBSE or G2 work out to be slouches in the high conductor department, so be it. If deep silver is your forte.. then maybe an Etrac would suit you. Sometimes you just can't squeeze what ya want out of some machines. I do know that the 19kHz platform that First Texas has now is by far the best I've used for low conductors hiding in iron. Since I'm strictly a relic hunter by nature, I really could care less about coins and crusing parks and wading thru all the modern trash. To be honest, when I did coinshoot, I rarely found any coins deeper than 6-7 inches in my area anyways. I do know that the G2 will hit coin size buttons at at least 10 inches, that is the deepest I have found one in a field that had been plowed over time.......MO

If your ground is highly mineralized like it is here in Tennessee. I think you will we impressed with the depth on silver with the Goldbug. I have the 29 version and I find it will hold it's own with my Etrac on deep silver. In fact I have gone behind my Etrac with the Goldbug and dug many silvers I had missed due to masking. The deepest coin I have ever found with the Etrac was a 11" Barber dime --- with the Goldbug a 8" Mercury dime. I hope this helps.

JohnTN said:
If your ground is highly mineralized like it is here in Tennessee. I think you will we impressed with the depth on silver with the Goldbug. I have the 29 version and I find it will hold it's own with my Etrac on deep silver. In fact I have gone behind my Etrac with the Goldbug and dug many silvers I had missed due to masking. The deepest coin I have ever found with the Etrac was a 11" Barber dime --- with the Goldbug a 8" Mercury dime. I hope this helps.

With the 5" DD coil?

Hey JohnTN -- That's some impressive information (8" Merc dime). How did it hit on the VDI? From what I hear, even with my F70 an 8" dime will likely ID as iron (haven't tested one that deep in the ground, yet...) And, very impressive about it going behind an Etrac, and not only "holding its own" in terms of depth, but also finding coins which were partially masked, that the Etracs could NOT find.

I've made up my mind that I am getting a Gold Bug, or G2. The folks with them, seem to swear by them. The units which had the silver issues and were reported to Fisher have apparently been fixed, and these fixed units (and the ones produced with the appropriate calibration) are apparently better on silver than even would be expected from a 19kHz machine. If they can hit an 8" dime, that's PLENTY deep for me. Just a matter of saving the cash, now!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out here. I am ready to purchase, with confidence!

Steve