Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I've tried reading posts, forgive me if this GB SE question has been answered...

sgoss66

Folks, I am CONFUSED, trying to understand the different versions during the new Gold Bug series progression, and the "silver" issue that existed with at least some of these Gold Bug/Gold Bug SE units.

Here's what I THINK I understand...

1. Version 1 Cabelas units (called "Gold Bug") had the gold problem. Newer Cabelas units may have version 2 or version 3 software.

2. SOME (ALL?) version 2.9 units NOT sold through Cabelas (called "Gold Bug SE") had the silver issue, but Fisher recalled them, and also allowed owners of these units to get upgrades which fixed the issue.

3. Version 3 units (called "Gold Bug Pro"), do NOT have the silver issue, they do well on both low and high conductors.

Please correct me if anything I just wrote is wrong.

[size=small]Now, my questions are:[/size]

[size=large]1. Did ALL of the original, version 2.9 Gold Bug SE units have the silver problem, and ALL required Fisher factory fixes?

2. When a person who owned a GB SE 2.9 version sent it in for a fix, did it still come back to them as a "fixed" version 2.9, or was the "fixed" unit then installed with version 3.0 software?

3. I occasionally see "new, in box" Gold Bug SE units still for sale, on FeeBay and the like. Since these are out of production, I assume at least SOME of these never were sent back in for the "silver fix," and thus might still NEED the "silver fix." Will Fisher still do a silver fix, even on a unit not under warranty, or is/was this a "warranty only" fix?[/size]

Thanks so much. I am thinking hard about adding a GB that would serve as both a second/backup coin unit, and also as a primary unit for me for occasional gold prospecting trips. So, since it only would see low usage, I really would like to avoid buying "new," and look for a bargain price on one somewhere. But, at the same time, I dont want to get a "bargain," only to find out that it needs the "silver fix" and that I can't get it done now -- thus leaving me stuck with a unit that would NOT be able to function as a backup coin-shooting unit (and thus get used only once every year or two in a gold prospecting application.)

Thanks so much in advance; I have read a jillion GB threads on many forums, and this is STILL not clear to me!

Steve

Don't forget about Gold Bug Pro version 4.

I think it was Keith S who posted the silver issue and was very pleased with his when it came back, and then it was a 2.9 version.

Later he tried a G2 with 3.0 software and liked that one even better i think.

I have a 2.9 version myself and like it very much, however I do believe that the 3.0 version is further adjusted and even better. But that seem to be very very little and maybe not even visible to most users.

And whats the 4.0 version now, an early Aprils fool..

The 4.0 version is "legit".----My dealer sent an earlier GBSE in and it came back a 4.-----Don't ask me what the (changes) are though cause "I dunno"--my dealer didn''t know either.----Have to call up FT to find out I guess.

I posted the following in another GB thread in this forum; wanted to re-post here. This is my understanding at this point, which may be incorrect. If so, I'd love to hear what needs to be corrected so that I can properly understand...

[size=large]"Cabelas" Gold Bug[/size]

Version 1 -- "silver issues." No manual ground balance?

Version 2 -- no "silver issues." Manual ground balance?

Version 3 -- no "silver issues" (these units are much like, or identical to, the Gold Bug "Pro" version 3 and 4??) Manual ground balance?

[size=large]Gold Bug "SE"[/size]

Version 2.9 -- "silver issues" (older "version" than the Cabelas "Gold Bug" version 2.0??) Manual ground balance.

***Note -- at least SOME have been "fixed" by Fisher, with version 3 (and even version 4??) software installed? (Some other units "fixed," but still with 2.9 version software??)***

[size=large]Gold Bug "Pro"[/size]

Version 3.0 -- no "silver issues." Manual ground balance.

Version 4.0 -- no "silver issues." Manual ground balance.

Can anyone verify or correct any of what I've just posted, which is currently the way I understand things?

Thanks!!

Steve

is that the version 3 has the same or similar audio as the Tek G2 which is a modified vco/beep rather than the pure VCO audio found on the 2.9 version.

Tom

What it all boils down to is, just go to a nearest Tek/ Fisher dealer and have him order you a new one. I'm sure the latest version, fresh from the factory, will perform just as well as any of the older version. I have faith in FT that every update that they could make on them, is gonna be just as good, if not better than the last one. I have both the Gold Bug & G2 in my arsenal, and that's where they are gonna stay........MO

You would think that you could email Fisher and ask them what the differences are between all the different versions of Teknetics G2s and Fisher Gold Bugs and put all this to rest.

NOPE. I felt like I got the runaround when I called and asked what the differences are. I was told to email my question and they would get back with me.

Steve-----Yes, that was fairly recently--and yes, that was Richard.---The 4.0 version was stated in his ad.---It would make a great buy for someone (he may have already sold it by now though).-------Del

Tabman-----I don't think there was different versions in the G2 (just the current version).------I'm not CERTAIN about this but the first G2's MAY have come on (turned on) as "Gold Bug"----the ones now come on as "G2".----I guess you COULD call that an version "upgrade" if that's the case.----Does anybody know about this?----I never had one of the earliest production G2's.---------Del

D&P-OR said:
Tabman-----I don't think there was different versions in the G2 (just the current version).------I'm not CERTAIN about this but the first G2's MAY have come on (turned on) as "Gold Bug"----the ones now come on as "G2".----I guess you COULD call that an version "upgrade" if that's the case.----Does anybody know about this?----I never had one of the earliest production G2's.---------Del

We don't know anything for certain, because we are getting the runaround for some reason.

D&P-OR said:
Steve-----Yes, that was fairly recently--and yes, that was Richard.---The 4.0 version was stated in his ad.---It would make a great buy for someone (he may have already sold it by now though).-------Del

:super:

Richard at Backwoods Detectors is a great person to do business with.

'Gold Bug.'

I know the prototype I got did that, and I have a couple of dealer friends who ordered them in right when release was announced and they also got the 'Gold Bug' scroll. They sent them in and had that reprogrammed. I think they caught it pretty quick and dealers could correct the issue.

Monte

Monte-----Is that the only change made on the G2 since the first production models came out? (just the change in the "read out" from gold bug to G2)------Was there any other "upgrade" made on the G2?------Thanks, Del

a mystery to me as it is to everyone else.

I have had a LOT of PM's and e-mails in the last 4 months asking about all the version differences and the Gold Bug (original), Gold Bug (current), Gold Bug SE, Gold Bug Pro and G2 differences. All with regard to VCO audio or not, hitting well on silver coins, etc.

I plan on getting all of those answers taken care of, soon, because I want to/need to know myself. Plus I need to send my Gold Bug scrolling G2 in to get the upgrade on the read-out. Doing seminars or monthly detector group meetings, or talking with dealers they wonder "What's Up?", so I'll get that fix. And, I trust, the answers to all these questions. Then I can help answer some questions for others.

What I can tell you is that I know several people who acquired an earlier Gold Bug model, not sure which version, and most have only positive things to say about them. A dealer friend has, the last time I looked, two or three Gold Bug SE's in his inventory. The SE is simply a sticker on the box they were shipped in. On Friday I might stop by and see is I can note any real performance differences. the one I checked worked OK back in October or early November, but I'll check the other boxed units.

One thing I do know is that the G2 prototype I have has been performing quite well.

Monte

We know David J. reads some or most of these posts. David, would you please step in and clear this thing up for us.....Jack

Guys --

I need to answer several posts.

morelic55 -- yes, I COULD go buy a brand new one. Problem for me is, I want to get a used one -- it would only be a backup coin/jewlerly machine for me (primary machine an F70) 99.9% of the time. I will use it that other .1% of the time on an occasional gold prospecting trip with a friend of mine who has several CO gold claims. Otherwise, the thing may gather alot of dust. For me, spending $650 on a brand new unit, to collect dust much of the time, is too much. There are deals on used SEs to be had, but I need to understand this so I know what I'm getting.

D&P-OR and tabman -- YES, Richard at Backwoods Detector Sales is GREAT to deal with. He is who I bought my F70 from. And yes, he DID sell that Gold Bug SE with the 4.0 upgrade. I was interested, but it sold quickly.

Monte -- when you find those answers about all the Gold Bug machines, I would LOVE to hear them. There IS problem with some (at least) of the early units. I know of folks who could only air-test a quarter to 6". I know of another person who has told me he hasn't found a quarter deeper than 3" (but hits gold and nickels MUCH better). Many MANY stories of bad air-testing on silver (or clad) coins. This was only, though, I think, on the Cabelas version 1 units, and at least SOME 2.9 units. I know for a fact (from a call to First Texas) that there WERE silver issues (couldn't see silver very deep at all) but they have been fixed, according to this person. His advice was "buy a Pro, it will see the silver." Again, yes, I CAN buy a new Pro, but what about those of us who already own a Fisher unit, and want a backup detector or occasional "gold" machine, and want to buy used? How do we know what we are getting?

I am very frustrated that First Texas will NOT clear this up for consumers. They, of course, want us all to buy the Pros, with the $649 price tag -- which I can understand. But, there are still dealers with 2.9 stock, selling at $499, and used units have sold as low as $400 or so. I feel they owe it to us to give us the scoop -- since they mistakenly put out units with a problem with silver. Hey, if I buy a 1.0 version, and the VCO is different, or it does not have manual ground balance, FINE. Those things are tweaks and changes which happened along the production process; each "new version" of a product has certain changes and upgrades. But, these "bells and whistles" of a unit are something you can see, from version to version. If you want a unit with manual balance, and the earlier units don't, that's something easy to watch for. But if there was a PERFORMANCE problem, on silver (and given that these machines are marketed as "multi-purpose machines), then that is NOT something you, as a consumer, have any way of knowing. To me, it should be something where they make an announcement that says ANYONE with a 1.0 version or 2.9 version of the machine, and can't air-test a quarter beyond "X" inches, then send it in for a free upgrade. THEN you have taken care of the situation, THEN those of us buying used can purchase with confidence, and overall First Texas/Fisher does themselves a favor, in terms of reputation. It's like this...if I want to buy a new sports car, and the 2009 model does not have power windows, but the 2010 version does, and I want power windows, I need to buy the one with power windows. I can't buy the '09 and then gripe about the lack of power windows, and expect the dealer to install them for me. But, on the other hand, if I want to buy a new sports car, and the 2009 and 2010 models both say 400 HP, and I buy a 2009 -- and unbeknownst to me, the 2009s have an engine computer problem that only lets them acquire 250 HP, then how would I, as a consumer, be "responsible" for this? The car manufacturer IMO owes it to each purchaser of the 2009 model car -- whether they bought it new, bought it used, or had it given to them by their buddy, to do a free fix on the computer to get that car up to the 400 HP it was supposed to have.

Monte, please, when you get the answers, I'd love to hear them. I DO want a Gold Bug, I DO want to have it perform well on gold AND silver, and I KNOW there are SOME versions of the unit where owners have testified that they will do just that -- good on both gold AND silver. I have heard RAVE reviews on the machines that are working according to the way Fisher designed them to work. I just want to know that if I buy, I can be sure I will get one of these machines that do both gold and silver well, as was intended by Fisher (that "multi-purpose" thing again). And, finally, if I get one and it does NOT air-test properly on silver or clad, I like to think Fisher would repair it at their cost -- it WAS their mistake. They could stand up here, boost their reputation, and really give customers the confidence to deal with them in the future. Or, they could keep quiet and lose customers, and take a reputation hit, as those of us on these online forums learn of the issues. It's frustrating, even for a person who has never owned ANYTHING but a First Texas machine, and stands by them loyally.

Steve

sgoss66: I do not know you but I know if you get your hands on a G-2 which machine will wind up in the closet. Good luck with your choice and HH.:goodnight: