Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Joey and Platypus coils

NH Bob

I am interested in any info you can give me on the 6x10 Joey coil and the 8.5x11.5 or 8x12 Platypus coils. What I have researched is they go as deep if not deeper than other coils of the same size. Sensitivity and separation is also excellent.
I want to hear from anyone that has used one or has hunted with someone that has one. I'm looking for hands on input.
Reason, the stock coil is an awesome coil BUT, it sucks in stubble and woods.

I have a Platypus, but I feel the PRO and the SEF coil technology is better at target separation in trash.

What about depth and sensitivity for in the field. I guess I'm looking for a good all around coil. Good coverage, depth, light and doesn't easily snag like the Pro coil.

If all you're after is to keep from getting your stock coil snagged in the stubble, why don't you just spend $8 on an 11-inch round Tesoro coil cover? It ain't super tight. But mine hasn't fallen off yet.
JMHO HH Randy

That would be great Digger, but if you ever hunted corn fields, woods and overgrown cellar holes an Elliptical coil would be the thing to have. I've waited for Minelab to come out with one for the Explorer line and they never have. Guess there's not enough interest. If you hunted with an elliptical coil under all conditions you'd understand. Slimmer is better.

I have the Joey coil, and I love it. It is my first choice when working scraped lots, though I switch to the X5 if it is too trashy. It goes deep, but I don't think it is quite as deep as the stock coil on my ExII or my E-Trac. Still, I really like how it separates, and it gets appreciable depth. I use it a lot.

As I recall, there was something that seemed amiss on the Platypus coil, but can't remember what it was.......probably CRS!

I would recommend having one. It does work well in brush or stubble.

HH

Dennis

I agree with you Bob.On some of the sites that we have hunted together,an eliptical coil would have definately been more appropriate.

I understand exactly what you mean Bob. Less footprint = less masking. I was merely responding to your concern about the stock coil snagging. And the Tesoro coil cover does that for the stock E-TRAC coil. Like I said, for ellipticals, I have the Joey and the 6 X 8 Butterfly (as well as a few round coils). When I hunt in corn stubble, bean stubble and around the weeds at old homesteads, I use smooth bottom coils. My choice for an elliptical is the Joey. And I use the 6-inch Excelerator for extreme situations. HH Randy

Randy, I read the Joey is not water proof. How not water proof is it. In other words, doese a little water or wet grass bother it?

FWIW, I have used my Joey in wet grass, mud,and "over" puddled water. I too remember that it is touted as not being waterproof. The only problem I have had with it, was the seam tape which more or less disintegrated over time. That tape holds on a VERY tight fitting cover, which I removed, and there is coil cover beneath it. I replaced the tape with some purty yellow electricians tape.

I suspect the entry hole for the cable would be where the leak would occur. I have not done anything to that area, and have not had one issue of wet interference with it, and as stated, I use it a lot. YOu might give consideration to putting a dab of silicone caulk to seal the cable area.....just ta thought.

Get ya sum of dat coil, you will like it. It will race around stubble.......

HH

Dennis

I agree with kuletule, the tape holding the cover uncurls easily. Having experienced that with my Sovereign a few years back, I put electricians tape over it when I bought this one. I've not submerged mine for extended periods of time, but I use it in wet grass, weeds and an occassional puddle. Never had a problem with it. If I were going to soak it, I'd probably put a dab of silicon or some sort of sealant around where the cable enters the coil. JMHO HH Randy