Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just cant decide what detector to purchase...

Im really having trouble discriminating between hype and the real deal with online investigation. I have looked into the GPX 5000 but it seems it's just not enough bang for the buck plus there's not much discrimination for trashy areas. It seems like a great detector for gold prospecting but I dont have much gold prospecting localities near my home (closest area is 1.5 hours away). After realizing that the GPX 5000 didnt have much discrimination, I kinda looked away from it and more or less started looking for other detectors that had a depth advantage for coins and relics. I looked into the Spectra detectors, XP Deus, and the Garrett GTI 2500. So far it seems that the XP Deus has the best overall rating in my mind. I want something with significant depth advantage but one that is able to discriminate trash items out such as nails and pull tabs. Im really just trying to weigh my options here and I hope someone can chime in and point out another detector that would also be to my liking. I would like something that also contains a gold prospecting mode but it seems that the all-in-one VLF detectors are mainly average in all settings. The PI detectors that i've read about seem to have great depth but one needs to dig about everything...

Thanks!

Keeping in mind "There is [size=x-large]NO[/size] perfect detector." T2 has done well in Gold fields, Relics and most certainly coins.

" I would like something that also contains a gold prospecting mode but it seems that the all-in-one VLF detectors are mainly average in all settings. The PI detectors that i've read about seem to have great depth but one needs to dig about everything."

Yup, you about summed it up! Cruise these forums for awhile and you will see that you can get as many opinions and model advocates as you care to collect and be no closer to a decision. The truth is in capable hands all the top-of-the-line detectors perform and the variations you see are more about differences in operator expertise and ground mineralization than anything else. A hotshot in Oregon will swear by one machine. Somebody else in Georgia will say no way, this one works better. And on and on and on.

I have not used anything for coin detecting that gets substantially more depth than the Compass Gold Scanner Pro I had back around 1990. Since then we have seen improvements in ergonomics, target discrimination, and target separation, but nothing really earth shattering.

The honest truth is at some point you just have to dive in an get a good name brand detector and go for it. They all work well enough if you apply yourself. If you can get into a multiline dealer and put a lot of detectors physically in your hands it can help. I truly believe a lot of it these days is what just clicks for you in looks, feel, sounds, etc.

Gold Geologist,i've tried a lot of todays top machines and the best advice I can give is what Steve has just said.Most of todays top end machines are pretty similar performance wise....the most important thing is to put in some time and learn your chosen machine to get the best out of it.You can always adapt your chosen detector to suit your needs simply by choosing the best coil for your hunting conditions as long as the detector you choose is supported by a good selection of coil options.For example,i purchased a Whites MXT which came with a large 12" coil that was useless on my fields and this made the detector poor performance wise.However,just changing the coil to suit my particular fields made this detector one of the best i've owned for the particular targets I was searching for........this applies to most makes and models.My main detector is now a Minelab Sovereign Gt because I have moved close to the coast and the Gt is one of the best beach machines around....it also performs well inland so it has become my favoured choice as a best all rounder.
So,as was said earlier,most top end machines are a good starting point and all will find targets pretty much on equal terms.Correct coil choice can then make the detector perform even better in a given situation and enable you to get the most out of a machines performance.
Also,like Elton said....there is no such thing as a perfect detector that will do everything with 100% efficiency and that is why many of us own more than one machine to cover our different hunting needs
I wish you all the best with whatever machine you choose.....just get out there and enjoy it,neil.

Thanks for the helpful comments! I guess you guys have been in my shoes many many times... I have owned an MXT Pro and loved the machine but I didnt feel that it was detecting as deep as I would have liked. I found a couple wheat pennies but nothing deep. Im really interested in getting a XP Deus because i've heard a lot of great things about it. The depth seems to be better that the MXT Pro and it does well in high mineralized ground. I guess that will be my detector of choice. Thanks for helping me decide!

Sir if you have the money for a GPX 5000 you should buy two detectors maybe three, maybe in diffrent khz as well , dont get all your eggs in one basket,

That's very true. I've been looking at various detectors and watching Youtube videos of various tests. I thought I was going to go for the XP Deus but my mind was changed by a Youtube video. Im more into coins, jewelry, and relics. I would be most into gold prospecting but unfortunately I dont live very near an area that produces gold. Im looking into detectors that can find coins and jewelry at depth with discrimination. So far, it seems that the Blisstool LTC64X v3 is winning that one. I dont like the style of it but its something to get used to when the depth is taken into account. Im still looking and very open for ideas.

Thanks again!

you've all ready made up your mind
get the XP

I think you should look into the White's MXT or better yet, the V3i.

Yep, had an MXT Pro and liked it but I just dont know about the depth on em. I sold it because I bought it for gold prospecting but I had a heck of a time finding anything with it due to the really bad mineralization of the soil. I had it dialed in just right and I could detect a nickle at about 5 inches. It just didnt seem to track the soil probably because there was such a rapid change between very high concentrations of black sand (a pan of dirt would reveal nearly 1/3 black sand). I think I mainly got discouraged because I wasnt finding anything. I needed the money when I sold it, and I really regretted selling it... Im really wanting depth and I didnt have the MXT Pro's coin/jewelry setting completely figured out. I've heard of people hunting in prospecting mode and then changing over to coin/jewelry or relic mode. Does Prospecting mode get more depth or something? Could you elaborate on how much depth I could get in moderate-low mineralized soil?

Thanks!

What is getting you is the black sand. 1/3 black sand per pan! Sorry, you honestly are expecting too much. The more magnetite, the less depth, plain and simple, and any VLF is going o suffer in those conditions. One of the best VLF machines I have used in magnetite is the GMT but it is still going to suffer and is not a coin detector. Either accept there is going to be no magic VLF for your situation (DEUS is not a bad choice) and live with abbreviated depth or just get a PI and resign yourself to digging junk.

It really is not that bad. I am a dig it all kind of guy myself. Most people do not have the patience for it thankfully. Which is why I will always have plenty of targets to dig.

Okay, that makes sense. I was told that the MXT Pro would hum right along in that soil. I didnt explain to him that there was that much black sand there though. The man was very experienced with the MXT Pro because he has found over 20 oz of gold. I cant recall his name right off hand but im sure you know him. I just watched some more youtube videos and focused most of my attention on the MXT Pro and I do like the depth it is getting. The one thing I really liked about it was the many different settings. It may take some more time to really dial this detector in to my soil conditions but I think it would do just fine once I get the right coil, and settings. Just gotta play around with it.

People will do strange things but I would not use prospecting mode for coin hunting except in extreme ground conditions. In prospecting mode, you lose the discrimination mode but gain adjustable SAT for fast tracking ground inconsistencies. I can't imagine prospecting mode giving you more depth but there might be other advantages such as better target ID info. I have heard of some users switching from one mode to another to double check a target.

There is no way I could elaborate on how much depth you could get in moderate-low mineralized soil. There are just too many unknown factors including mineral composition and concentration, how the detector is set, coil used, anticipated targets, user skills and knowledge, swing speed and many other factors.

It sounds like you might be new to metal detecting and my advice is to get another MXT or MXT Pro and spend as much time as you can hunting and learning not only the detector but the art of metal detecting. Good luck in whatever you deside to get and most important, get out and have fun.

I myself have numerous different machines like most hobbiest. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses. I also looked at the Blisstool, but these new DeepTech machines are looking pretty interesting....specifically the DeepTech Vista Gold.

GG - I am relatively new to the hobby, so I can't offer a lot of different brand experience. But have you looked at some of the Tesoro machines? They are competitively priced, and have several models available to fit various needs. The Vaquero and Tejon come to mind as being deep machines. My Tejon found a screw cap at fourteen inches and has found pennies consistently at eight inches. Plus it seems to be a nickel hog. But if you want a machine that is a deep machine you will have to prepare yourself to dig some junk.

I might add that the Tesoro guarantee and service is the best in the business.

Just my two cent's worth.

m.....

Get a CTX 3030 and a gold bug 2. Bam... Done.

Please remember that most everyone you talk with have their favorite machine or brand. Therefore they are sort of biased.

If you are looking at the GPX 5000, that tells me you can probably afford any machine you want to purchase.

I have been a Whites MXT guy, great machine. Service if needed is excellent. Still use it as a back up machine. Good on coins, relics and you can
Prospect a little with it if you get the 4x6 shooter coil.

I have been a Garrett AT Pro guy. It is water proof, a beast on coin shooting, is a quarter magnet, has excellent recovery time,
Light weight and fun to use. Service is excellent if needed. Currently this machine I probably use a couple of times a week. Love it. It can do it all. This
Is the best machine on the market bar none for less than $1000.

I have been a Minelab CTX guy. Probably the most technologically advanced machine on the market today. Learning curve is a little more difficult
Than a standard VLF machine. I would consider it to be the Cadillac of all of the detectors available regardless of price. It is a great coin, relic and
Beach machine. It's water proof, has great recovery time, is a deep seeker and has a built in GPS system. I have not had to use Minelabs service as of this date.
If I had to and they didn't perform as good as Whites and Garrett, everyone in the world hear about it. This machine is expensive, probably twice as much as
Other machines that could be Said to be as capable as it is, but I seriously doubt that is true.

I have given you the run down on machines that I have loads of experience with. At the end of the day you need to make your decision based on your research. Most of all let me say that any detector from a Harbor freight $39 machine to the CTX will find metal in the ground. The equalizing factor, or what separates the sheep from the goats is the knowledge of the machine in the brain of the hand that is operating the tool. The detector is just a tool. An extension of of our desire to find what ever treasure we are seeking. We have to decipher what it tells us. That is the secret of it all.

Thanks for looking and the best of luck with what ever you choose. IT IS A GREAT HOBBY.

Tough decision and many choices. When reading replies to your question, if you pay attention you can see which ones are brand loyal and or biased. The only way anyone can tell you which detector to buy with accurate knowledge is # 1, to know what type of hunting you are going to do and to know your soil conditions, and the biggest, #2, is to ask someone who has owned every detector made and they know how to use them. Your best bet is to search the net and forums, talk directly with the manufacturers, know your soil conditions and what type of hunting you will be doing, study the machines as you already have, then when you think that you have found the one that fits your needs find an experienced user of that specific detector and speak with them about it. There are many great detectors out there and I personally don

Thanks for all the very helpful comments and suggestions! I will look over these when I have the time. I will be busy for the next couple weeks or so but I will be researching during my spare time!

Once again thank you all! If you have any further info, please let me know!