Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just kinda disappointed

ronthebomb

I cant say I have allot of detectors under my belt, so I need to give you some history about me and the detectors I have used and this might help you see where I'm coming from.
My first detector was out of a JC Penny's catalog back around 1975 I was about 8 or 9 years old. I was very interested in coin collecting and was very interested in old coins alone. Behind whier I lived was a school that was built around 1943 and over the years I watched plenty of old men pluck out, what was treasures too me out of the ground. ( Now I'm the old man or feel like it.) So for my birthday, that's what I wanted was a metal detector. I cant remember what it cost but I think it was around 40 bucks. After several month waiting, then getting a bad one, sending back for couple months I Finlay got my detector. Every day I would run home and ask my Mom if it came. Than one day I asked and she said yes and is was under my bed hidden from brother ( The one who found out the first one was defective) I wish I could remember the name but I cant. The detector had a off and on switch and that was all the adjusting their was because if it was good, a beep would sound and a little green light would turn on, and of course if it was bad a red light would glow. Being young and very optimistic and having full confidence in those brilliant people who made this revolutionary electronically mastermind mar vile. I dug some red just to try it out, but I dug all the green light beeps. I kid you not I dug about a small pick-up trucks load of pull-tabs. I just really thought the next one was going to be good. So for a good year and half of hunting I did find coins most new one wheat penny that I bet was lost way after 1959 but no silver. And def no gold or nickels because they were in the red. What a shame.
So my next detector was the whites 5000d ( I'm not sure about the ( d) it just sounds right.) My parents bought this for me for my birthday during a visit to see my grandpa. I tried it out in my old school that I had previous map ed out with my old detect er and on the first day found 9 silver Washington's, 1 walking half, 3 mecurydimes, hand fully wheets. I will never forget that day and don't think it well ever happen again. I got the 5000d I think in the summer of 1977 I tried decreasing the discriminant to find nickels and gold but was turned a way by the foil and pull tabs I only found 2 or 3 nickels.
So (are you still with me) my next detector was the big bud pro by bounty hunter. I purchased sometime in the 80s. It did find some old silver like barb dimes and Mercury dimes in old wooded area es and Indian head Penny's that never seen the 5000d. But I never found silver or whee ts with the bounty hunter in the same place hunted by the 5000d. But I couldn't find gold ring or nickel with out finding the majority of foil or pull tab with the bounty hunter.
So 34 years later I purchase a whites V-3 and really cant tell the diff between gold and foil or pull tab from nickel. Just kinda sad to spend so much money for all those bells and whistles to navigate threw all that junk to something you cant tell the diff between a big gold ring or a compact piece of foil.
You know their was a time maybe before pull tabs that the first detector's had their run or the one with the first discrimination had the first picking with out all that trash. If maybe I would have waited a few more years. I could have found what I was searching for for half price.

Nothing is 100 percent in life but if you practice a bit....I think the v3(i) comes real close.

A metal detector than can differentiate gold rings from aluminum pull tabs has not been made yet.....even after all these years...... but the V3 has the tools to help separate a lot of trash from the good stuff. Learn the V3 and it will reward you well.

Sorry, but this post sounds like someone that just hasn't taken the time to learn their detector. You can have a lot of experience on past older units, but this one is state of the art, and requires a bit of a learning curve.

Read your owners manual, set up a test garden, try it out on that first. This should have been your first step. Head out to the hunting grounds, and start swinging. No amount of reading, testing can equal actual field experience.

Good luck, it's a super detector.

Rissa

If maybe I would have waited a few more years. I could have found what I was searching for for half price And then you would have missed a few more years of a great hobby. As Larry said the detector you want hasn't been made. I knew what the V3 could do before I bought it so I wasn't disappointed.[attachment 160175 Reading.gif] Rob

I know I'm kinda bit chin about this I believe the place I hunted most. No one will dig silver. 204 school Pinckneyville IL

Wished I lived closer,Ron.I love a challenge.If I looked at the right school you listed,it dates back to the 40's.I dont believe all the silver is ever retrieved from sites that old.Maybe Larry,Rob,Magic,Yazoo or someone closer in the area can take up your challenge.Good luck on your hunts.:thumbup:

Don't give up yet ! you have a heck of a machine there,like everybody says learn the machine,get out there.Read and re read,watch the instructional dvd over and over.Your not going to learn that in one week..I'm finding things new about my detector all the time.Chin up!

Kinda hard to understand how you can have this attitude and expectations after detecting for so long? Afraid working hard to get the money to buy a top machine is the easiest part. The real investment is the time and interest to learn what you have. If you were looking for a machine that could completely tell the difference, some better investigation would have saved you the heartache. You will do well if you actually learn your machine and look at all the trash as an education. Odds only get better. Some of my best hunts have netted 0,nada,,nothing, zip. Sure helped me learn though. (Big difference in enjoying the hunt and having to have only good finds to enjoy it.) It does happen by luck.... but pretty fleeting stuff that is. (So easy to get frustrated so keep your chin up and enjoy the whole process.) Good luck.

I can help with one of your comments: "I purchase a whites V-3 and really cant tell the diff between gold and foil or pull tab from nickel." The gold foil stuff, is just a matter of dig enough tabs, and you'll find the gold, however the Nickel versus Tabs comment, is easy to address. I was out yesterday and picked 7 nickels on a soccer field that I've been over before with a different detector. The V3 shines..on nickels.. it's a veritable nickel magnet. I use Coin Jewelry mode, with a little 5.3 inch coil, set the RX to the max without overloading the coil, then go VERY slowly across the area. Nickels hit hard at a VDI of 19, and occasionaly bounce between
between 17 to 19. The icon will show nickel or pulltab. All metal mode (pinpoint) will show a strong response in the 22.5 frequency. Start digging...when you see that because you're going to fill the bucket with nickels :). Most importantly don't give up..take the time to get out and learn the machine, it really is a GREAT machine.

Where is Pickneyville?I might wanna give that a try if its not to far away.Just looked it up, west of Du Quoin is a little far for me,about 240 miles.Used to go to the flat track races over that way many years ago.Good luck and I am sure some one will be interested.Here is a sure fire way to help with the nickles, assign them a VDI tone of 245 that is from+18-+21 I bet you find more nickles fast, just watch for a high tone with low tones and the nickle #'s .The learning of this detector is not a given with out some work but it is the best of the best when you take the time to figure it out.I started with one of the first Visions ,no manual and no real help just this forum and my hunting buddy Magic.My good side was from using the DF several years and knowing how to use it.Yazoo

The V3 is a wonderful machine, I just didn't think it was going to be so tricky, plus I might suffer slightly from A,D,D. I hunt as often as I can and do read the owners manual and highlight import stuff for a quick reference before hunts. I'm not finding anything to deep all new stuff. Must place I go are trashy and I know I need smaller coil. Today I hunted at Southern Illinois University today for only 2 hours be for the rain came. Hunted with coin and jewelry at recommended gain of 13 with a ground probe around 8 or 9 percent loss at all three frequency ( that's if I'm reading it right). At this point I dig most any thing and found all new coins around 2 or 3 inch's deep with some pull tabs and iron at around 4". I just feel I'm not getting deep because of the ground. I did do a ground balance be for I started my hunt.
If any one in my area find silver at the 204 school please post, I hit it hard for about 4 years with too detectors way back when, I'm pretty sure if you do its a mercury dime about 7" on its edge. The last silver dug was that way.

I'm not a V3 owner (yet), but I have owned many detectors in the past. I think it has been said that it takes at least a hundred hours to learn a machine. This is probably true for a simple one. The V3 appears to be an extremely complicated machine, and I'm thinking it might take years to learn that thing completely. So, maybe you're judging it a bit early?

The V3 is really not that bad to learn. Right out of the box with the factory loaded programs and few hours of getting used to it is all that is needed to start having fun. You are right though that to completely understand the V3 will take a lot of time reading and in the field, but on the other hand very few people have the desire or need to understand everything it does or how. The object of this hobby is to get outdoors, have fun and find some goodies and the V3 is one of the best to do just that.

Ron, I have a difficult time at first with a lot of things too. What helped me was to have printed several manuals and have them lying around. Grabbed them up when I had a free moment while doing other stuff and things just began to click in big chunks. (Thats just the way I have learned things my whole life....brick wall,then rapid clear learning.) For some reason the V has been the easiest machine for me to learn by miles. In large part to having a DFX as my last machine, the interface being so logically laid out, and reading this forum. Once it begins to click, you'll have a fun ride!!!

Several folks here have had the time to get out and run the V3 through their learning curve and (more importantly) gifted in explaining the process, their conclusions and having generous souls to share it.
My job has kept me busy to the extreme Carving out time to detect has been done in little,infrequent, 1 to 3 hour blocks of time. Still...I'm doing well with this box! Not having much time for metal detectors, looks to be a thing of the past for me now. (But...that'll have to be for another post.)

The V3 has features that make it worth its high price.
However, the detector that can tell a gold ring from a pull tab or a nickle just dont exist.
I doubt that it never will unless it is some kind of x-ray machine that lets you see the shape of the object in the ground in 3D.
Metals in the ground are just too similar to be accurately identified by conductivity alone.

Any beach hunter worth his salt can tell you that to get all the gold you got to dig the trash.
Otherwise that pull tab signal you just walked over becomes the next guys 14K find of the year.

Sorry to bust the bubble but technoligy is just not there yet.

Willee

hunt some older sites than a 40s school.Hunt some 100 year old and older sites and your odds of finding deep silver will go way up with any top end machine.One reason is many more years to build up and another is many more years to get deeper and out of reach of older and less powerfull machines.Many 40s public sites were nearly cleaned out in many places during the 70s and early 80s,Ray.