Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just my 2 cents

That has some Great Detail on it, copper kidd! Keep at it in the olive oil, just don't get too aggressive with the toothbrush, I've put some scratches on some with them. Patience, patience, it will pay off. After olive oil and brushing, try soaking in Dawn dish soap and water to get the oil off, makes it look better. I kinda get impatient and use a graphite pencil, just barely touching it, then washing it off and back in the olive oil. Good Luck!

Thanks timwied , I still have it soaking and lightly brushing. That dirt seems hard as granite.

Soaking it in Olive Oil will darken the coin. Sometimes to the point you can no longer read the date. I use Mineral Oil to clean the crud off my old coins. It takes a long time to do but it will not turn your coins a darker shade of black. Get it out of the Olive Oil and put it in Mineral Oil and just wait and wait and wait and wait and wait . . . . . . .

Soaking it in Olive Oil will darken the coin. Sometimes to the point you can no longer read the date. I use Mineral Oil to clean the crud off my old coins. It takes a long time to do but it will not turn your coins a darker shade of black. Get it out of the Olive Oil and put it in Mineral Oil and just wait and wait and wait and wait and wait . . . . . . .

Hey copper kidd, I was just looking up your coin, I copied this quote:
In addition to the values shown above, there are a few special twists with this neat coin. If you have a coin dated 1864, 1869, or 1873, seek out a knowledgeable collector or a coin dealer for an in-person appraisal. You might, for instance, have an 1864 'small motto' coin worth $400 when in average circulated condition. Such nuances are beyond the reach of a general-purpose resource such as CoinQuest.
This is the website: http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=864
And that's my "two cents worth".

Thanks Tim. From what I read in the 2016 official red book, it is a large motto. The crud on it is coming off nicely now after a month of soaking in olive oil, there is very nice detail on both sides with the exception of the word "we" in the motto which is worn down. There is a black coating on it yet which I'm trying to keep on it, or do you think it would be better to return it to it's copper look?
This coin was found on a small farm that was established in the late 1800's and was torn down in the 1970's. I have found Wheaties from the 20's in the same area, around the same depth as the 2 cent, that came out looking very good with no black crust , so I'm thinking the 2 cent was dropped in the late 1800's. I also found a copper 1909 store token that is in nice shape, maybe 50ft from where I dug the 2 cent.
I hunted the site yesterday for only 15 minutes when I came up on a newborn fawn, I wished I had a camera but I didn't, so I left the area as to not disturb the fawn. I will go back there today again to hunt some more.
I checked out the website you put on and I book marked it .Looks like a good site.
Thanks again

I would think you don't want it to return to the copper color, if you get it that far you've removed the patina. Not good. Maybe the black will lessen and start turning green like the Indian heads, haven't looked are they about the same composition? I've ruined a few Indian heads trying to get them too clean and removed the patina, they look bad without it. I'm following you, I want to see your final result!!! Good Luck

Tim , yes they are the same composition as Indian heads. .950 copper 0.050 tin and zinc.

copper kidd, go to the Metal Detecting Forum and search for "Cleaning Indian Heads" I have a post there with my pictures,

Yes Tim , I have read your posts on cleaning the Indian heads and found it very informative. In fact I follow that topic. Progress on the 2 cent is coming along slowly but I haven't put the pencil to it yet , just lightly brushing then cleaning with soap and resoaking in the oil. Your 1914 D is coming along nicely. :)