Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just my 2 cents

copper kidd

Today I was out relic hunting and found this 1864 2 cent piece , a (not sure) suspender buckle that is marked PAT 1872 , a 1950 D wheatie and some small iron pieces. I would like to thank Calabash digger for wishing me luck , because I found the 2 cent piece about 5 minutes into the hunt. It is still dirty but I'm soaking it in water and very gently tooth picking it. It appears to be in very good condition. Any ideas for loosening this caked on crud? Olive oil maybe or just plain old water , or whatever ?
The assumed suspender buckle seems to be stamped out of copper and it is real thin. It is 1 5/8" wide and 1 3/4" high.
I will post better pics of the 2 cent when I get it cleaned up.
Scratch off a bucket lister :thumbup:
If this isn't a suspender buckle , does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Nice find, those don't pop up to often and when they do, usually not in the best condition depending on the part of the country one is in. Olive oil is a slow process, but eventually does help in loosening the crud. Good shot! HH jim tn

I done some research on the I-Net and that is a suspender clip. I'm still looking to find more info on it though. Thanks for your comments.

Nice score...im waiting to get into the 2center club but alas they elude me... i have found a pair of shield nickles and they didnt clean up that great.. their are many varieties of those of suspender clips..i have one with an american flag on it and another with what looks like the man in moon ..they are cool...

man your killing it ! great finds ive never found a 2 cent piece .

Nice 2 cent, detail looks good , olive oil slow like jimtn said, but safe. Was reading that they clean coins to be graded by steam, never looked into it to see how it is done. GH---------------after1--------------------

Nice two center. They don't turn up every day.

calabash digger said:
have you been digging them deep faint signals?
yes but the 2 cent was about 6" down. The last deep signal I dug was a 90 on my ATP and it turned out to be an aluminum screw on cup from like a thermos , that was at 14" approx.

After-1- That's funny because I thought about steaming it, but I decided on just soaking it in olive oil , which is slowly working. I'll post pics when I get it cleaned up nice.
Thanks all for your comments , I'll probably hit the 2 cent spot again this weekend.

P.S. was having trouble getting on the server lately, I wanted to answer your questions earlier.

copper kidd said:
calabash digger said:
have you been digging them deep faint signals?
yes but the 2 cent was about 6" down. The last deep signal I dug was a 90 on my ATP and it turned out to be an aluminum screw on cup from like a thermos , that was at 14" approx.

After-1- That's funny because I thought about steaming it, but I decided on just soaking it in olive oil , which is slowly working. I'll post pics when I get it cleaned up nice.
Thanks all for your comments , I'll probably hit the 2 cent spot again this weekend.

P.S. was having trouble getting on the server lately, I wanted to answer your questions earlier.
just remeber its the ones that have no vdi and they are very faint in the headphones thats the ones! Id beat that place to death where you found the coin.

Howdy copper kidd--

Congratulations on your 2 cent piece! I can't tell from your picture which one you have. There are 2 varieties of the 1864 2 Cent Piece: Small Motto and Large Motto. The Small Motto is the rarer of the two. The easiest way to positively identify the Small Motto is by the longer leaf stem below "We" in the motto. Google 1864 Large Motto and 1864 Small Motto and you can easily ID which you have. Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Cool Finds!!! I have a Buckle almost like that, that I actually found in my own yard, I'll have to post a picture of it. It has a patent date of 1870's also. I haven't joined the 2 cent club . . . . . yet!!!

I've cleaned up the 2 cent a little better, its the large motto. Still soaking it and cleaning, will post a pic when cleaned up better.

Timwied , I have another clip or buckle like that one but it is just smooth with nothing on it. Added to my collection.

Congrats on the 2 Cent - a rare find indeed !

[attachment 330265 1871BuckleReduced.jpg] Here is my Buckle Copper Kidd. Patent Date March 1871.

That's a nice buckle, you got the manufacturer on it too. That's what I was wondering about mine was who made it.
Sweet find.

Pics after some clean up done. After soaking in olive oil and light tooth brushing.
Still a lot of dirt on it.

I have learned so much about history since I've started Dirt Fishing! I think it should be a college class!

cleaned up good. I hated history in school but now I love it go figure.