Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just ordered an Omega!

KennyD

Hello TEKkies!
I just ordered a new Omega and would love to hear from anyone with experience with it.
I also have an NEL Sharpshooter coil to slap on it when it arrives.

Any tips you Omega owners have is most appreciated!

The NEL Sharpshooter coil is the best coil for the Omega.

tabman

How do you have the coil before the machine? Just received my omega today... really like the pinpointing quite the learning curve from my bounty hunter iv

I had the coil for my Fisher F5. ... which I traded in for the Omega. Coil works with either machine.

The 5x10 DD coil is quite special on the Omega. Light weight, deep and excellent separation. Enjoy the Omega, it's a fun, but serious detector. HH jim tn

you've ordered my favorite model of all the FTP offerings. :thumbup:

As with any detector, keep in mind a few suggestions here.:

1.. Remember there is no such thing as a 'perfect'; detector or a 'perfect' search coil.

2.. Even an experienced detector user needs to put in some time with any new model to learn their strengths and weaknesses. They ALL have weaknesses and we need to understand them.

3.. Put all bias aside until you learn what the manufacturer provides.

That said, and knowing you've had the F5 and already own a Sharpshooter search coil, my strong suggestion is to put in a good number of hours with the Omega. Be patient. Don't let any EMI annoy you, if you have it, just learn the Omega and how to get the most out of it. I also suggest using the Teknetics search coils while learning it. You might like the Sharpshooter coil, and I have used them, but I am perfectly fine with two coils for the Omega for my hunting needs with it. Especially the 5" DD for brushier and trashier places.

As for 'tips' I can tell you that I like to use the 4-Tone ID when I am going after "flash money" in tot lots and similar places after modern change, but for all other hunting and most of the serious searches I do with an Omega, I prefer the 2-Tone audio by far.

I never use more Discrimination than just enough to reject iron nails, and that's about 16/17 on the Disc. settings but check your detector to know its needs.

I set the Sensitivity as high as I can tolerate, and right at the "ragged edge" if there is EMI.

Keep in mind these are 2-filter type detectors and need a slow motion sweep. Although a fast sweep in an air test looks impressive, or over woodchips or mellow ground, if you're hunting in higher mineralization, pea gravel or any rocky type environment, don't get carried away with the sweep speed.

The Omega is a great detector choice and I liked it better than the Fisher F5 for balance, feel and pleasure.

Monte

Thanks guys for your replies... And thanks Monte for your experienced advice! Most appreciated.
I hope I can get the Omega out for a hunt or 2 before the Snow flies here in Michigan.

9veater said:
You try it out yet? Which coil did yours come with the11" dd or 10"
Just arrived today. Came with the 10" elliptical coil. Bench test worked well. Can't wait to see how it works in the parks around here.

Took me a few large dig holes to figure out the pp. Always had round coils... once I figured it out man I love it! Depth is spot on also, keep hearing nickels are 56-57 I have yet to find a nickel with that ID lol. Just received my trx today so my hunts should be much more efficient from my harbor freight pp. As Monte said disregard your opinions/ bias and I g/b in AT mode read its more effective.
1 thing I don't understand is sometimes the screen lags or displays an ID for a few seconds would like to know why.

It is really important for you to try the Teknetics round 8 inch coil. Superb performance and depth...easily the same depth as the 10 inch concentric eliptical in most conditions ........but far superior audio and ability to " audibly sort out targets" !! Also it feels almost weightless..........if you go for long hunts ..this is your coil. When I first started pushing this coil my friends thought i was nuts. But now quite a few of them have switched over, if not for constant use .......to intermittent use. One fellow who has had the Omega for three years..........and hunted exclusively with the 10" Eliptical and 11" Eliptical coils.............has dumped them altogether. Not that they are bad coils but rather that his gold ring finds improved 300%..... Using the "Eight" as he calls it... he located 22 gold rings in 2014!!! The "Eight" has helped him to find all that gold..yet leave his arm on his shoulder where it belongs. Where ever you go what ever coil you use, enjoy your Omega...............and have a great Christmas and New Year!!!!

I like the stock 10" elliptical Concentric coil. I like the round 8" Concentric coil better! :thumbup: I decided to keep the 10" elliptical coil around, but I mounted it on a 'loaner' Delta, swapping the Delta's 8" to the Omega. That way if I want to use it I have it, but I use the Delta as a 'loaner unit' to help get permission to hunt private property and invite the owner to join in the fun. I know how to pinpoint well with it and can demonstrate it's abilities, but I just let the user enjoy it and take a little more time learning to PP and recover a target in THEIR property, because not only will I find more in the same hunting time, they just might leave a few more uglies in their own ground from extra recovery effort using that elliptical coil combined with being new to the hobby.

I like the 8"/5" 'team' of search coils for my Omega for all the sites I usually hunt. The 5" DD I need to have for a smaller-than-stock search coil because [size=small](sadly)[/size] FTP doesn't make a smaller-size Concentric coil for the Greek series and compatible models. I found stuff with the stock 5½x9¾ Concentric coil, but in an equal amount of time spent search the same number of urban coin producing sites, the round 8" Concentric provided me with a higher coin-count while making faster, more accurate recoveries. My gold and silver jewelry recoveries also had a bit of an increase, too.

Monte

So you run an 8" round on your omega too? I have heard it many times as a coin magnet

So glad someone will back me on my Tek 8" coil opinions. Thanks Monte ..... I now feel like i'm not the lone wolf!!!

Ivan said:
So glad someone will back me on my Tek 8" coil opinions. Thanks Monte ..... I now feel like i'm not the lone wolf!!!
Ivan, you are not alone on that search coil decision. Don't get me wrong about the stock elliptical Concentric coil as I do like it and would use it regularly .. IF there wasn't a round 8" Concentric.

For fun, as I mentioned on the Tesoro Forum, come February, before we get into decent huntable weather and ground conditions for the ghost towns and other old places I like to hunt [size=small](with smaller-than-stock search coils as the rule)[/size], I am going to work three detectors, possibly four, and devote an equal amount of time with each model at the same sites, be them grassy lawns or sports fields, or sandy river beaches, and use ONLY their factory 8" search coils.

I'm going to keep track of the actual hunting time spent with each model; log the number of trash targets and 'keepers' I find with each model; keep notes on any problems I have with each model as well as battery run-time [size=small](they all use a 9V battery)[/size]; and in the end figure out the total number of coins found, with a list of coin denominations, then figure out a "per-coin value" that I like to keep track of on flash money recoveries. I'll also note any good jewelry or other keepers found with each. I just figured it would be fun to do for some detector comparison, plus it will be interesting results because most average hobbyists [size=small](newbies, beginners, and only occasional hunters)[/size] often use ONLY the standard size search coils.

So, February will be the month I will use only three detectors, the new Omega w/8" Concentric coil and the other two in my arsenal, and I plan to make it a fun time each and every day I get out.

Then comes March and that usually means a good 'spring thaw' and conditions at most of my favorite sites improves and it will be back to hunting with smaller-than-stock coils 98% of the time.

Monte

PS: I now know of four others who have made the switch to the 8" Concentric on their Omega's.

Fantastic...... a great performing coil at a really reasonable cost................really like the Omega . I'm not sorry I sold off all my Tesoros. My wife is just thrilled with her Delta 4000 she is makimg incredible finds with it...much more productive than her Silver U Max. I was very concerned about my move to Teknetics..............you were the reason why I switched.....glad I listened to you. Thanks. PS:(Also the whole Cazador B.S. was too much for me to handle).

Ivan said:
Fantastic...... a great performing coil at a really reasonable cost................really like the Omega.
Ivan, while I like a few Teknetics model, I am especially fond of the Omega. It has been, and currently is, my favorite Teknetics model. I have had two of the T2's and the Omega's have been more consistent on TID and VDI read-out at mid-depth to deeper targets, and not as unstable as the T2's. That said, I am going to get a new T2 Ltd. w/upgraded circuitry and give it a serious opportunity to prove its performance and become a 'regular' in my detector carry battery. It won't nudge the Omega out, however, because the Omega uses those friendly and efficient Concentric coils, to include the 'affordable' 8".

Ivan said:
I'm not sorry I sold off all my Tesoros. My wife is just thrilled with her Delta 4000 she is makimg incredible finds with it...much more productive than her Silver U Max.
I have felt similar, at times in the past, when I parted with some models, especially when 'brand changing,' but I gave up on "brand loyalty" many decades ago.

Ivan said:
I was very concerned about my move to Teknetics..............you were the reason why I switched.....glad I listened to you. Thanks.

Ivan said:
PS:(Also the whole Cazador B.S. was too much for me to handle).

2nd, attempt as there was no 'edit' for a goofed post and I couldn't correct the accidental post I made.

Ivan said:
Fantastic...... a great performing coil at a really reasonable cost................really like the Omega.
Ivan, while I like a few Teknetics model, I am especially fond of the Omega. It has been, and currently is, my favorite Teknetics model. I have had two of the T2's and the Omega's have been more consistent on TID and VDI read-out at mid-depth to deeper targets, and not as unstable as the T2's. That said, I am going to get a new T2 Ltd. w/upgraded circuitry and give it a serious opportunity to prove its performance and become a 'regular' in my detector carry battery. It won't nudge the Omega out, however, because the Omega uses those friendly and efficient Concentric coils, to include the 'affordable' 8".

Ivan said:
I'm not sorry I sold off all my Tesoros. My wife is just thrilled with her Delta 4000 she is makimg incredible finds with it...much more productive than her Silver U Max.
I have felt similar, at times in the past, when I parted with some models, especially when 'brand changing,' but I gave up on "brand loyalty" many decades ago. I have always had at least two, and often three or four brand models in my personal arsenal because there's no perfect detector, so I mate the detector and coils for tasks I pick them for.

I have a few friends who bought a Delta just to have a simple-to-use detector, but have found that for a lot of day-to-day Coin Hunting it is a serious performer. It had Pinpoint and display features that the Silver µMAX lacks, but the Tesoro can still work fine for many. It's all a matter of personal preferences we make.

Ivan said:
I was very concerned about my move to Teknetics..............you were the reason why I switched.....glad I listened to you. Thanks.
You're welcome for any help I might have provided, and I know a few couples who went the Omega/Delta route several years ago and to this day they are still quite satisfied, and successful, too.

Ivan said:
PS:(Also the whole Cazador B.S. was too much for me to handle).
Yes, I know that name business has been/is annoying. Dumb sounding name, anyway, in my opinion.

Monte