Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just ordered the Ultimate 13" coil.

I just ordered the 13" Ultimate from Kellyco and it is supposed to ship tomorrow. I hope I like it and I hope it sniffs out some deep silver for me.

If you take the time to learn its little differences from other coils it will serve you well.

Its my favorite coil!

I also ordered a new tall man shaft for it. That make 4 coils and 4 lower shafts so far. Hate to say it but I'd rather spend $75 ea. for shafts than switch coils around on a single shaft. Is that lazy or what? I also have a pair of Klipsch Image S4i Rugged All Weather earbuds and jack adapter coming for the etrac too. Been doing a lot of shopping as of late.

Do you have the X-1?

That's also a very good addition to the Etrac. The X-1 makes it very easy to check those iffy signals.

Jeff in Pa said:
Do you have the X-1?

That's also a very good addition to the Etrac. The X-1 makes it very easy to check those iffy signals.

Jeff, yes I do. I bought it new right after I bought my etrac. I bought a cheap pair of earbuds last week to try out while detecting. I loved the result. I can't stand wearing headphones unless it's really cold outside. It's so much easier to hear what's really going on while wearing the buds if there is even a little bit of wind or road noise. I think I'll be wearing the new pair at least 90% of the time I hunt.

THREAD HIJACK........I've often thought about cutting a hole on top portion of the upper shaft that will let the plug slip thru to the powerhead and running the line outside of the rods.....any thoughts?????

I don't feel I have enough experience with the Etrac to really comment accurately about a lot of things so take with a grain.... I've been running the Ultimate for about 2 weeks now and haven't taken it off yet. I like it so far, it seems to seperate well with a little work, not really that bad in trash, my #'s are all over the place depending on site, etc. but the sounds it produces seem to be very consistant and that's about 90% of the way I hunt. This could be just me learning more as the more I dig the more I learn? I also like the better coverage. I can't really say much about depth yet but you sure won't loose any depth and I think the sounds may be better or more consistant at depth than the Pro...????

oneguy said:
THREAD HIJACK........I've often thought about cutting a hole on top portion of the upper shaft that will let the plug slip thru to the powerhead and running the line outside of the rods.....any thoughts?????

I don't feel I have enough experience with the Etrac to really comment accurately about a lot of things so take with a grain.... I've been running the Ultimate for about 2 weeks now and haven't taken it off yet. I like it so far, it seems to seperate well with a little work, not really that bad in trash, my #'s are all over the place depending on site, etc. but the sounds it produces seem to be very consistant and that's about 90% of the way I hunt. This could be just me learning more as the more I dig the more I learn? I also like the better coverage. I can't really say much about depth yet but you sure won't loose any depth and I think the sounds may be better or more consistant at depth than the Pro...????

If you can afford one, get a used Sunray x1 probe for your machine. Your coil cable will be outside of the shaft with it and you wont have to thread it through the rods. I can change a coil and lower shaft in 15 seconds with the x1 and that is not an exaggeration at all. It literally takes longer to re noise cancel than it does to swap a lower shaft/coil out with another lower shaft/coil.

the whole idea of cutting the hole in the upper shaft was to lose the cost of the lower shaft(s) and speed things up....????

It would work and save you the time of feeding the coil thru the lower shaft but it still takes a while to loosen the coil nut, swap coils and re-tighten and the you must pull the upper shaft to disconnect and reconnect the cable. A lot of work to swap a coil.

I never cut my upper rod but there were other Explorers and Etracs I had an didn't have the X-1 and its a real pain in the _ _ _

I have seen others who did what you are saying but personally I would not do that. If you ever decide to sell your machine it will reduce the value.

oneguy said:
the whole idea of cutting the hole in the upper shaft was to lose the cost of the lower shaft(s) and speed things up....????

If you want to save the cost of lower shafts and speed things up I would still buy the x1 and just swap coils on the same lower shaft. It would still be a vast improvement over the factory setup and be much better than cutting a hole. The time consumer in switching shafts is threading the cord thru the shaft. I like to switch coils often and have went on two hour hunts where I've used 3 coils. I'd never do that with the factory setup.

agreed.....there's already been quite a few times I've wanted to slap on the 6" but didn't just because of the hassle.

Get the x1 and it will take every bit of that hassle away. They are pricey now. $200-$450 used on ebay is the going rate depending upon age and condition. I actually use my Garrett PP for pinpointing more than the X-1 but would never sell the X-1 (even for $400) just because of the benefit of swapping coils so easily. I just came back from an hour and a half hunt. I started with the 6x8 sef and wanted to switch to the pro coil and did. After about 45 minutes I switched back to the sef. I would have never done that without the X-1 on the machine. I was hunting a private yard where there were trashy areas suited to the 6x8 and others areas that weren't as trashy that I was able to utilize the added depth of the pro coil. If my X-1 crapped out today I'd be searching for another today.