Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Key Date 1872 IH and others

Larry (IL)

With the weather almost perfect, Nancy and I got away for the Labor Day weekend, did some camping, hunting and eating. I won't bore you with the camping and eating, but the hunting part was fantastic. As is obvious, I hunted around the lake where we stayed and found the sinkers and the three silver dimes, the Merc was the object a target shoot and someone had a pretty good eye. Part of the bullet went through the dime and some of it is still stuck on the back.

The next day we went to visit my 89 years young Dad who moved into an assisted living facility last year and while visiting we got permission to hunt the ground around the place. Dad said there used to be an old roller skating rink on that property when he was a kid..............that lead paid off big time. That is where I found the 1872 IH and to keep her company were four more, 1881, 1886, 1889 and a 1907. To make the hunt even more exciting, was a 1898 V nickel and an 1877 Seated Quarter and of course the Wheats and other goodies. Some of the IH's were 10 inches deep, yet the Seated Quarter was no more than 2 inches deep.....so shallow I thought is was a clad and dinged it a little but it is well worn and no major damage done. Back to the 1872 IH, it is a key date with the Bold N and might grade VG-8 considering the environmental damage, but still the Red Book values it at $140 ......I know I can't sell it for that but still a good guideline on value for your finds.

The watch is still ticking and and had the right time too.

[attachment 172753 Labor2.jpg] [attachment 172754 Labor.jpg]

You are on a tear my man!! That little ol' Indian is one toughy to cough up money for much less find one indadirt! It might be a little rough but for a ground set? Great job and congrats! Good to hear you got out.

As I said, he left me home. :cry::cry: Man I wish I had been there. Congratulations anyway Larry. :lol: Did you leave anything? Rob

Hey Larry,

Looks like it was an awesome labor day hunt. I wasn't able to get out and MD, but we did spend the week end setting tree stands for my other favorite hunting. The weather didn't quite cooperate but still had a great time with in laws and wife.I did however find myself wishing I was at a couple of old parks that we ran across a few weeks ago:devil:
Great finds Larry!!!
Good to see yazoo post.

A ground set sounds interesting, I just might go through my IH's this winter and see what I can come up with. I know I'm missing most if not all of the 60's though.

I think there are many more there Rob..........you know how big that property is.

Nice going Larry. You never know where good stuff will be. I really like that seated!

Great finds and congrats on the IH and seated quarter!