Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Knee Replacement and Metal Detecting

Jerry-Wi

My wife just had knee replacement surgery yesterday so will not be out metal detecting until she heals up. This got me thinking about what the implications are, if any for metal detecting. For example kneeling on the replacement knee for digging, etc. Anyone had any experience on this?

Jerry

Had mine done about 5 years ago. Still a little sensitive to kneel on but knee pads help a lot. Normally I don't kneel on that knee though, just kneel on the other one and have the replacement knee and leg bent. Also, try to get in the habit of stomping your plugs down using the leg/foot without the replaced knee. Same thing if you dig with a shovel.

Jerry, this is a subject that interests me, because at present (50 yrs. old), my knees already sound like popcorn, and I'm starting to "walk like the tin-man", d/t years of abuse of my knees (too many "squat thrusts" with heavy loads) d/t my heavily physical line of work. X-ray scans of my knees show my cartilege is getting shot up, and the doc. says that ......... one of these years coming up, I'll probably be a candidate for the new-fangled ball-joint/knee replacement surgery. In the meantime, I just go reealll gentle on them (getting up and down with my arms pushing off, etc...), so they last as long as possible.

But getting back to your question: I think that the medical science of this has gotten so advanced, that it's litterally dr. office surgery, where you're out in a couple of hours! And a guy I know had the surgery (who had wasted his knees d/t extreme sports for too many years), and he was litterally playing tennis before the week was up. The recovery is that fast, and the results are that good.

So if you ask me, perhaps an md'r is better off AFTER the surgery, and it's nothing to worry about?

Hi Jerry, I have not had knee surgery but I have had a heap of other surgeries in my earlier,and later years, 6 Major surgerys:eek:ne disc removal in 63,,,/2 open hearts,02 /Colon resection 05/and a Pacemaker- Defib. in 09.,,,And a collapsed lung also in the mix, likely caused by the Lung inhaler I was on. Defib caused problems after 5 mo. and had to be turned off. Seems I did not need it afterall, which is a God sent Blessing. My point would be that before anyone has anykind of surgery, unless it is critical to your survival, that they need to give it serious consideration as to whether or not there are other solutions/options other than surgery, Any surgery invading your body creates Trauma of some sort and in many cases that invasion creates problems worse than what you had before the surgery.Results will of course differ from person to person, and so long as folks have Insurance to pay all cost,there will be plenty of folks standing in line to make your/their" cut." Surgery can be a good thing for some folks and a bad thing for others.Even any Meds taken along the way can do some really weird things(trauma again) to the body. I have a friend that had knee surgery and he still has problems with the knee. DirtAngler has some good advice in how he is adjusting, and hopefully he will do well, but surgery is seldom if ever a cure all.I ain't no "expert" but I am getting there, the hard way! HH, Charlie

Thankfully, I have not had any knee problems myself and hope it stays that way. However my wife was getting to the point where she was having some serious mobility issues, so it was time for the surgery. She enjoys metal detecting a lot and we are hopeful that she will be able to continue after all the rehab is over with. We are looking forward to getting out a lot this fall.

Jerry

I had 5 total knee replacements between 1988 and 1997.For many years I could not kneel on the ground.Per Dr's orders I was not to kneel on any hard surface,not to run and not to jump,as I could possibly damage the repacement parts,my knee cap or the bones.Then I discovered the kneepads with jell inserts.Now I am able to kneel on the ground while recovering a target instead of bending over each time.
Did a web search and found these:patella T. Wedge Kneepads.This web site is only to show what they are.By doing a search,you may find them at a lower price.I paid $60 for mine.

http://www.mcguckin.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_268&products_id=583&zenid=g0ovgifsjultf2q3lc9agb2fq5

Waterbug said:
I had 5 total knee replacements between 1988 and 1997.For many years I could not kneel on the ground.Per Dr's orders I was not to kneel on any hard surface,not to run and not to jump,as I could possibly damage the repacement parts,my knee cap or the bones.Then I discovered the kneepads with jell inserts.Now I am able to kneel on the ground while recovering a target instead of bending over each time.
Did a web search and found these:patella T. Wedge Kneepads.This web site is only to show what they are.By doing a search,you may find them at a lower price.I paid $60 for mine.

http://www.mcguckin.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_268&products_id=583&zenid=g0ovgifsjultf2q3lc9agb2fq5

Thank you for that information.

Jerry

Dear Jerry I have had a total of 15 knee replacements. mine started when I 39 years old, I'm now 58! All I can say is just don't give up, the more you use it the better off you'll be. I fell from a water tower and really tore things up, but my last surgery was June 28 and things are looking so much brighter! Ken Hutzler

no need for all the bending down.get a lightweight DEUS and a long shovel .
easy digging

roscoe1 said:
Dear Jerry I have had a total of 15 knee replacements. mine started when I 39 years old, I'm now 58! All I can say is just don't give up, the more you use it the better off you'll be. I fell from a water tower and really tore things up, but my last surgery was June 28 and things are looking so much brighter! Ken Hutzler

Wow! That is quite an ordeal and you are still forging ahead! My Hats off to you!

It was my wife who had the knee replacement surgery in July, the day before I wrote the original post. Her recovery has been slow but steady and she has actually been out metal detecting a few times in the last few weeks. Some days are better than others but getting so there is more better than not. But it is not to the point where she can completely forget about it.

We are looking forward to getting out this fall now that the weather is no so hot.

Jerry

Hope she can get back out in the field quickly, Best of luck!

Jerry, I think each persons medical situation is unique, even though its a knee replacement procedure. I would consult with surgeon/current physician regarding detecting as a yes/no activity.

Hi Jerry! Glad to hear that you and your wife are able to get out detecting again! Maybe we will cross paths sometime this fall! HH..C-Dog

codydog50 said:
Hi Jerry! Glad to hear that you and your wife are able to get out detecting again! Maybe we will cross paths sometime this fall! HH..C-Dog

Thanks. I dont think she is ready for any extended trips yet but at least she is able to get out a little. It has been a long summer for her.

Jerry

I had both knees replaced two years ago and consider it a miracle to no longer have any pain. I'm still uncomfortable kneeling so I usually just bend at the waist.
My back is still in pretty good shape. I have been looking at a Lesche Sampson or Little Eagle to do my digging with. I think it will reduce the bending over that I do now.
If I really want to dig a deep hole, I sit on the ground to do it. I just might have to try some of the gel kneeling pads.

A quick update. Her rehab on the knee has not been going all that well. She is seeing another therapist and there is some very slow progress but in a couple more week they will have to make a decision as what needs to be done. Probably further surgery. Ugh! This has been a long ordeal, been going on since early July.

Jerry