Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kruzer with the 7" Concentric

Was going to wait to test it over the weekend. Gonna go back to that iron laden beach area tomorrow so I figured leave the DD on.....maybe I should take the 7 inch coil tomorrow and give it a go there too.

I remember those days, long, long, long ago, when I used to change search coils, sometimes often, but by late '71 and early '72 I found it easier to keep two or three detectors in my arsenal at at-the-ready with a search coil I preferred. I do make some search coil changes at times, but I also learned a long time ago to keep my search coil count at a minimum for each detector model so as to include only coils I was most likely going to want for the types of sites I would be hunting.

For my Nokta Impact, for example, I keep the 7" Concentric coil mounted full-time as it is an amazingly versatile performing search coil. Then I have the 5" DD [size=small](it actually measures closer to 5¼" w/o coil cover)[/size] on a spare lower rod for coil change afield to handle especially densely littered sites.

Kapok said:
I’m really torn between the 7” concentric and the 9.5x5 DD. I’m currently hunting a spot with little surface trash, the targets are old and fairly deep. However, many of my other spots I’ll hit later in the season have a lot more shallow iron and modern trash.
These two search coils were, for me, the ones I kind of muddled over the most in trying to pick a favorite to stay mounted full time. On my Impact, I found that more often than not I was preferring the round 7" Concentric coil, partly for the feel and balance, but also because of the benefits I had from using the Concentric design. I does a much better job when it coms to classifying problem ferrous debris, and I hunt in dense iron contaminated sites more than anything.

But I do like the open-frame 5X9½ DD coil as well and it balances nicely, too. Performance is also very good and I know these two coils seem to have more in common with weight, balance, and in-the-field coverage and depth. So I had to decide which coils to settle on for my Racer 2. Again, it was easy for two reasons in my detector arsenal, and the added third reason is that I really like the performance of a Concentric search coil in trashy sites. More accurate and consistent Target ID, pinpointing is a little better, target response will me more repeatable with the coil swept from any direction due to the uniform and consistent EMF.

The other two reasons I mentioned are that I have a well rounded Regular-Use Detector 'Team' that includes a Nokta Core and Relic that have 5X9½ DD open-frame coils already mounted for full-time use. :thumbup: I do have two of each of these models at-the-ready, with the 2nd device sporting the smaller coil for trashier conditions, with the 5" DD on the Relic and 'OOR' DD on the CoRe.

Kapok said:
I loved my Racer2 with its 5.5 OOR coil for these sites.
That was my other search coil struggle. My Racer 2 pack came with the 5" DD [size=small](the one that measures about 5¼" w/o coil cover)[/size] and I also had the 'OOR' DD from my original Racer [size=small](that is about 4.7"X5.2" to be that slightly Out-Of-Round shape)[/size]. In a really tough test we did, the newer 5¼" DD slightly out-performed the 'OOR' DD on the Racer 2 and that came as a surprise to me. However, for the bulk of the places I like to hunt when it gets trashy there is something about the looks of the 'OOR' that are more appealing to me and that's the smaller coil I prefer. I keep mine mounted on a spare lower rod in my Accessory Coil Tote currently.

My plan, however, with the excellent new lower price on the Racer 2, is to get a 2nd Racer 2 to keep the 'OOR' coil mounted full-time since I do hunt highly littered places often. The 7" Concentric has been handling most environments quite well for me, better than hunting them with the 5X9½ DD, but when small matters, it is time for the 'OOR' coil to work its magic for me.

Kapok said:
I’m wondering which coil would be the best for these two environments.
If you have the 'OOR' coil to handle the really dense trash conditions, then either the 7" Concentric or 5X9½ DD would make a great complementary coil. We don't have a 7" Concentric coil option for the Relic or CoRe so the 5X9½ DD was the obvious choice for me to make for those models, but the 7" Concentric was the proven winner, in my opinion, for the Impact and Racer 2 to make a great 2-coil general-purpose package.

If we were close I'd let you try both coils out and see for yourself which one pleases you best, but in my opinion, the Racer 2 and 7" Concentric is a terrific 'team' for day-to-day detecting.

Monte

Monte said:
I remember those days, long, long, long ago, when I used to change search coils, sometimes often, but by late '71 and early '72 I found it easier to keep two or three detectors in my arsenal at at-the-ready with a search coil I preferred. I do make some search coil changes at times, but I also learned a long time ago to keep my search coil count at a minimum for each detector model so as to include only coils I was most likely going to want for the types of sites I would be hunting.

For my Nokta Impact, for example, I keep the 7" Concentric coil mounted full-time as it is an amazingly versatile performing search coil. Then I have the 5" DD (it actually measures closer to 5¼" w/o coil cover) on a spare lower rod for coil change afield to handle especially densely littered sites.

I’m really torn between the 7” concentric and the 9.5x5 DD. I’m currently hunting a spot with little surface trash, the targets are old and fairly deep. However, many of my other spots I’ll hit later in the season have a lot more shallow iron and modern trash.These two search coils were, for me, the ones I kind of muddled over the most in trying to pick a favorite to stay mounted full time. On my Impact, I found that more often than not I was preferring the round 7" Concentric coil, partly for the feel and balance, but also because of the benefits I had from using the Concentric design. I does a much better job when it coms to classifying problem ferrous debris, and I hunt in dense iron contaminated sites more than anything.

But I do like the open-frame 5X9½ DD coil as well and it balances nicely, too. Performance is also very good and I know these two coils seem to have more in common with weight, balance, and in-the-field coverage and depth. So I had to decide which coils to settle on for my Racer 2. Again, it was easy for two reasons in my detector arsenal, and the added third reason is that I really like the performance of a Concentric search coil in trashy sites. More accurate and consistent Target ID, pinpointing is a little better, target response will me more repeatable with the coil swept from any direction due to the uniform and consistent EMF.

The other two reasons I mentioned are that I have a well rounded Regular-Use Detector 'Team' that includes a Nokta Core and Relic that have 5X9½ DD open-frame coils already mounted for full-time use. :thumbup: I do have two of each of these models at-the-ready, with the 2nd device sporting the smaller coil for trashier conditions, with the 5" DD on the Relic and 'OOR' DD on the CoRe.

I loved my Racer2 with its 5.5 OOR coil for these sites.That was my other search coil struggle. My Racer 2 pack came with the 5" DD (the one that measures about 5¼" w/o coil cover) and I also had the 'OOR' DD from my original Racer (that is about 4.7"X5.2" to be that slightly Out-Of-Round shape). In a really tough test we did, the newer 5¼" DD slightly out-performed the 'OOR' DD on the Racer 2 and that came as a surprise to me. However, for the bulk of the places I like to hunt when it gets trashy there is something about the looks of the 'OOR' that are more appealing to me and that's the smaller coil I prefer. I keep mine mounted on a spare lower rod in my Accessory Coil Tote currently.

My plan, however, with the excellent new lower price on the Racer 2, is to get a 2nd Racer 2 to keep the 'OOR' coil mounted full-time since I do hunt highly littered places often. The 7" Concentric has been handling most environments quite well for me, better than hunting them with the 5X9½ DD, but when small matters, it is time for the 'OOR' coil to work its magic for me.

I’m wondering which coil would be the best for these two environments.If you have the 'OOR' coil to handle the really dense trash conditions, then either the 7" Concentric or 5X9½ DD would make a great complementary coil. We don't have a 7" Concentric coil option for the Relic or CoRe so the 5X9½ DD was the obvious choice for me to make for those models, but the 7" Concentric was the proven winner, in my opinion, for the Impact and Racer 2 to make a great 2-coil general-purpose package.

If we were close I'd let you try both coils out and see for yourself which one pleases you best, but in my opinion, the Racer 2 and 7" Concentric is a terrific 'team' for day-to-day detecting.

Monte

Monte, thanks so much for the detailed information. I forgot to mention I also have the 7.5x4 on my R2 and really like that coil as an all-purpose coil. I’m leaning toward the 7” concentric As the all-purpose coil on my Kruzer.

Monte said:

For my Nokta Impact, for example, I keep the 7" Concentric coil mounted full-time as it is an amazingly versatile performing search coil. Then I have the 5" DD (it actually measures closer to 5¼" w/o coil cover) on a spare lower rod for coil change afield to handle especially densely littered sites.

I’m really torn between the 7” concentric and the 9.5x5 DD. I’m currently hunting a spot with little surface trash, the targets are old and fairly deep. However, many of my other spots I’ll hit later in the season have a lot more shallow iron and modern trash.These two search coils were, for me, the ones I kind of muddled over the most in trying to pick a favorite to stay mounted full time. On my Impact, I found that more often than not I was preferring the round 7" Concentric coil, partly for the feel and balance, but also because of the benefits I had from using the Concentric design. I does a much better job when it coms to classifying problem ferrous debris, and I hunt in dense iron contaminated sites more than anything.

I loved my Racer2 with its 5.5 OOR coil for these sites.That was my other search coil struggle. My Racer 2 pack came with the 5" DD (the one that measures about 5¼" w/o coil cover) and I also had the 'OOR' DD from my original Racer (that is about 4.7"X5.2" to be that slightly Out-Of-Round shape). In a really tough test we did, the newer 5¼" DD slightly out-performed the 'OOR' DD on the Racer 2 and that came as a surprise to me. However, for the bulk of the places I like to hunt when it gets trashy there is something about the looks of the 'OOR' that are more appealing to me and that's the smaller coil I prefer. I keep mine mounted on a spare lower rod in my Accessory Coil Tote currently.

I’m wondering which coil would be the best for these two environments.If you have the 'OOR' coil to handle the really dense trash conditions, then either the 7" Concentric or 5X9½ DD would make a great complementary coil. We don't have a 7" Concentric coil option for the Relic or CoRe so the 5X9½ DD was the obvious choice for me to make for those models, but the 7" Concentric was the proven winner, in my opinion, for the Impact and Racer 2 to make a great 2-coil general-purpose package.

Monte

Thanks for that insight Monte.
I have the Impact Pro pack and was looking to add a 3rd coil.
I think I'll be grabbing a 7" concentric.

I’ve read that DD coils are better in highly mineralized soil. Mine here in Michigan is usually 70-80. According to the Kruzer manual, that qualifies as highly mineralized. So maybe I’m better off with the 9.5x5 DD coil after all.

Its the same here, get the 7", you won't be sorry. MMK handles bad ground

amustel said:
Does this 7" concentric coil work with the Racer 2?
No, the Racer 2 does not use the same coils as the Kruzer. There is a 7" concentric coil specifically for the Racer 2.

No extension cable needed if you're shorter than 5'6". :rolleyes:

No issue with noise but finding someone that has access to the connectors and the ability to wire them may be a little tough. Might be a nice little job for someone to make these up. About 12" long should do it. Hey Makro! You listening?

Tom Slick said:
No extension cable needed if you're shorter than 5'6". :rolleyes:

I am 6'1" and don't need an extension. If you don't mind 1 wrap around the rods then you can extend the coil out so its about 15" in front of your toes. I like swinging about 6" in front of my toes.

Thanks guys for the responses. There's a fully stocked wire shop at my work so if I can find the ends I can get it wired. Kruzer supposed to be here today so I will see if I need it at all hoping I can do it like sven says

Pedlar mills said:
Thanks guys for the responses. There's a fully stocked wire shop at my work so if I can find the ends I can get it wired. Kruzer supposed to be here today so I will see if I need it at all hoping I can do it like sven says

If you don't use the same type shielded coil wire making the adapter you could screw up resistance, capacitance, and inductance. And the coil may fail to work properly.

Do you know what wire specs to use? Seems the ends are regular 5 pin m12 connectors. Easy to get those but don't know what shielding for the wire

I don't know the specs of the wire they used. Or pin-out of the coil wires.

Got my 7" concentric for the Kruzer yesterday. Hope to try it out tomorrow or this weekend if the snow melts off.

I’m noticing you guys throwing around different cable lengths, and adding additional cables etc....It appears that nobody is concerned with the change in resistance once this is done.....?????????........ The performance of the detector has to change when adding extensions......Jim