Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Kung Pow Grid Marker Method

madaboutmike

Haven't been able to detect for a while so when I went to a local school and started the ball field, I started feeling overwhelmed by the size of the area and didn't know where to start or how to confine my detecting. I needed a grid method but golf tees wouldn't poke up through the grass and tent pegs as effective as they could be also weigh something and weight is always a factor.

My solution was in the junk drawer. I had 2 sets of chop sticks. I sharpened the eating ends and wrapped yellow electrical tape around the other ends and made a stripe. The color contrast would show up well against grassy areas. I went back to the field and layed out a grid perimeter roughly 8 paces X 10 paces. I swung around the perimeters and then down the middle. This gave better area coverage. I felt more secure working methodically in a limited area. When satisfied, I moved one pair of the chopstick grid markers over a width of 8 paces and worked laterally from the first base line.

If the pic shows well, after numerous moves, not only did I collect over 40 coins, but I also got this nice men's 14 K gold ring!

The nice thing about chopsticks is once you finish your chow mein, you can take them home, They're around 9" long, weigh almost nothing, and can be used as coin probes in a pinch. When they're no longer usefull, the wooden ones can be thrown in the fire place!

Confucius say "You one smart cookie. Good idea, good idea, Now continue hunting, chop,chop".

Nice amount of clad and a super gold find. Chop sticks are an excellent idea in a large area. Specially like the firewood idea and I'll bring the marshmallows. :biggrin: HH, Nancy

Another way to mark off a grid is with Landscaper flags. I get mine at the Plumbing supply house.
They're cheap, tall, brightky colored and also weigh nothing.

HH
Herb

You only screwed up in one place. You should have taken some Chop Suey along. Your sticks could have served double-duty. Good show!

Eat BEFORE hunting.........:happy: