Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Large Coil

I watched a video where these guys were digging up really deep gold rings with large coil. I was wondering how much deeper the large coil would go vs the standard Coil for gold jewelry ? Anybody use it water hunting? How easy is it to pin point with? Would be interested in hearing from those with personal experience using it. Thanks!

I watched a video where these guys were digging up really deep gold rings with large coil. I was wondering how much deeper the large coil would go vs the standard Coil for gold jewelry ? Anybody use it water hunting? How easy is it to pin point with? Would be interested in hearing from those with personal experience using it. Thanks!

Freshwater or Saltwater?

same signal to all coils. remember the patter for the smaller coils is much smaller so you have to be much more centered over the target. Off just an inch you may miss the target with the coil.
Example, if you had a 1” coil v/s a 15” coil. Both with same signal.
Doug

I believe it was freshwater. I was always under the impression that a larger coil gave more depth than a smaller coil. Am I wrong? My question is how much additional depth should I expect? Thanks!

If it goes deeper it will be 1 or 2 inches, but most guys use a larger coil to cover more ground.

I believe it was freshwater. I was always under the impression that a larger coil gave more depth than a smaller coil. Am I wrong? My question is how much additional depth should I expect? Thanks!

It always, always, ALWAYS depends on your soil and site conditions.
Or beach and sand conditions, fresh or salwater.
When I hunted in Kansas with low mineralization and rich black dirt my F70 could but 10" easily, sometimes 12" with a 5" sniper.
The same detector with an 11" coil could go a few inches deeper.
I have a bigger coil too but I rarely got much further than the 11" but mostly because most of my deeper targets weren't much deeper than 8 -9" .
Where I hunt now in the mineralized SE. where good signals in good targets that make sense rarely can be seen much last 6" or so.
That is with all three coils that had no problem going much deeper than that in much better soil.
I have dug a few deeper here and there but only because I used some strange settings and learned some weird repeating indicators and language to help me notice them.
Luckily, there is a nice layer of good targets from about 6-8" still around mostly because nobody has been able to make sense of signals much past 5 -6" in the bad stuff and missed them all since detectors were invented.

Using the Nox here I have the sniper and the standard coil.
After using them awhile and digging thousands of targets they seem to hit about the same depth.
Still get to the 6" mark easily, maybe a few a little past that but that is rare unless it is something really big like horseshoes or big lantern parts and other things like that.
I doubt the 15" coil would help me much at all where I hunt, even if it was able to get a bit deeper than the standard coil I come across so few targets at those deeper depths I don't think it would be worth it to spend the money.
Also the Nox isn't the most ergonomic thing to swing...the standard coil is ok but the sniper is a breeze and much better so I assume for me the bigger, heavier coil would be more of a hassle and make it less fun to hunt...again for me.

Larger coils can usually get a bit deeper than smaller coils and also maybe give you clearer signals on some targets where the smaller coils might be a bit iffier which is something I have noticed using several sizes of coils on a few different detectors.
That is just physics and how things work using metal detectors.
However to answer your question on how much deeper YOU can get with bigger coils is something only you can answer if you try it or talk to someone that has and hunts where you hunt in YOUR dirt or beach sites.

Well, Salt or Freshwater can and will make a difference.

Freshwater, yes you can expect gains in coverage and depth. The only wild card would be a possibility of increased EMI.

Saltwater water, much larger question marks. Wet sand, Black sand, and moving water can all create havoc on a larger coil. Which could lead to decreased sensitivity settings.

I Swung a 12" coil on a Sovereign for a few years in saltwater. I gave UP!!!

I gave up because of all the above and it is way harder to pinpoint. also the added force needed to move in water.

With the more sensitive detectors of today I would be very leery of added performance of a larger coil in salt contact. Dry beach would be fine.

I haven't swung the 15" coil in wet or dry salt or freshwater sand. I have definitely swung the 11" in both along with the surf. Even the 11" gets pretty heavy with a coating of sand on the coil, sand in the coil nut and sand in the coil cover if you use one. You better be super strong and I'm no weakling. Two to four hours was all I could handle per day. For turf or relic hunting in dry conditions I can easily swing the 11" all day. Throw in some mud or snow and the 11" weight can get ugly again. I can only imagine what the 15" would be like in anything but perfect, dry conditions.

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I believe based upon what I have heard that I'm probably better off sticking with the standard coil. I have trouble as it is pin pointing sometimes with the standard in freshwater even with my giant scoop. LOL