Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last 2 hunts with Safari

The Fog

Hello fellow Safarians, here's some pics from my last 2 hunts, the soil was incredibly acidic so most of the old coppers took a beating, but they are all british coins from the 1700's except one US large cent (1800's) and the barber dime, which was more than likely just a hunter drop in the woods. It's not very often you find complete shoe buckles from the late 1600's (the round smooth one) and early 1700's (the one with the hammered pattern., usually you just find the frame or the chape.) I've found 8 buckles in the past 2 months. The buckles have a nice green patina as well, too bad some flaked off during the cleaning process. It always blows me away that a blacksmith made these buckles pre-George Washington... pretty cool. I also found a new site about a mile into the woods. There are 2 adult tombstones marked 1814 and 1815 with two smaller unmarked tombstones right behind them in the middle of nowhere. The old stone walls run all over the woods but I haven't found the homesite yet... it should be a dandy if I find it. Its right in the perfect time period for some more cool finds. Happy Hunting.

Great finds! The Colonial buckles are awesome.

TomH

Great finds that buckle is awesome, would love to hear what the numbers and depths were for these items. Thanks for posting and good luck finding the homestead out in the woods.
Bunker

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's always nice to get some feedback after you go through the trouble to take pics and post. The round buckle which is late 1600's was only about 6 inches deep after clearing the pine needles leaves etc. and rang at 38, the other buckle (the one with the hammered pattern) rang at 38 as well and was down about 10-11 inches. Most shoe buckles I find ring at 37-38. Went back to the same spot today and I struck out... only found a 1920 merc. My hunting buddy scored big time, he pulled a nice shoe buckle and a 1731 pistareen in unbelievable shape. I'll post it when he takes a photo of it... you gotta see it! Tomorrow heading to a new location.

Looking forward to seeing it! Thanks for the numbers.
HH,
Bunker

Wow, what great finds!!!! I don't know where your hunting at ( and it's none of my darn business) but what a great site. I'll bet your heart was pounding when you found that stuff. I'm so impressed at the age of those buckles and the fact that the guy didn't just "pick em up at Wal Mart" way back then. I guess they would have been made by a black smith, as you say. Amazing what they did back then without all the machinery we have now. Marc T.

Here is a pic of that 1731 pistareen my buddy found, all it needed for cleaning was warm water, mild soap and a soft cloth.... what a beautiful small silver. We both walked over it at least a dozen times because it was on a thin foot path.

Amazing detail in that coin. Thanks for posting!
HH,
Bunker

That is incredible Fog, doesn't look like it was circulated to very many hands before it was lost. The buckles are beauties, I'm gonna have to wait till spring now before going back into the woods to check out some old homesites. Deer season is in full swing, and I don't have time to do any Sunday hunts. Goodluck on your next outings!! Is the acidic soil caused by the pine trees and all the needles?

I'd have to assume it was a combination of pine needles and the moist ground Ron, the area is right next to a river and it's on a down slope so the water runs down the hill. I don the orange hat this time of year and hope for the best. I'll be out at a new spot Sat. and Sun. that looks promising. The early sunsets kill me this time of year, I work 2nd shift so early in the morning is noon for me. I plan on taking more video of the hunt to post.