Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last Two Hunts - James Avery etc.

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--
It's been a while since I have dug anything worth posting. Although I try to get out and swing the V3i at least once a week, weather, my volunteering commitments and health issues sometimes get in the way of my detecting addiction.
My detecting buddy, Kenneth who will be 89 years young in a few months, who I really admire, was in an oilfield accident in the 1950's which he was lucky to survive. He has a replaced hip, knee and usses a crutch whith a digging tool attached to the bottom to recover his targets. I use his story to inspire people on my Meals-On-Wheels Route and Hospice patients. Anyway, Kenneth gave me a call after I hadn't been out detecting with him for a couple of weeks and asked me if I wanted to sell my detector! Well, that got under my skin haha. So, the next day I drove over to his town and we went on the search for places to hunt. We found a vacant lot and Kenneth Dug a nice 1923 Merc, I was lucky enough to dig a few wheat cents, some clad and a small silver ring. We moved on to another sight - a vacant house. There, in the front yard, I dug a few more wheat cents, clad, 2 silver Roosevelts and Kenneth dug a silver Jefferson - 1944-S. I went to the back yard and under the old clothes line I got an unusual signal that VDI'd in the low 60's and pinpointed in the Green. It pinpointed metal about a foot , in a straight narrow line from the target. When I dug it, I was happy to find a Sterling James Avery chain and pendant with the inscription "Fear Thou Not For I Am With Thee" . It was a challenge to extract it because the chain was tangled in roots. Eventually , I took it to the local James Avery store and they cleaned it and My Wife wears it now. Our last stop, we found a large vacant lot across the street from a church. Kenneth found a hot spot that yielded 22 clad quarters in one ever expanding hole. I found a silver hot spot where I dug 3 Mercs, the oldest a 1935, a silver Roosevelt, a silver Washington that just made it 1964 and a silver Jefferson. A neat find there was the 1952 Colorado Chauffeur Badge. I hope to get out again soon. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• J.AverySil.jpg
    J.AverySil.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 103
Inspiring is a good way to put it. Putting the digging tool on the bottom of the crutch has to make one stop and look twice but ingenuity is always best served with a need!!! Good for you boys!!!

Inspiring is a good way to put it. Putting the digging tool on the bottom of the crutch has to make one stop and look twice but ingenuity is always best served with a need!!! Good for you boys!!!
Howdy Ronstar-- Here is a picture of Kenneth in action! After his hip replacement (about 6 years ago), the Dr. informed him that he would have to give up detecting; that was NOT going to happen. "Necsessity is the mother of invention" comes to mind. Sharpened angle iron at a 90 degree angle affixed to the bottom of the crutch, a magnet bolted on the side of the crutch to hold the boot horn that he uses to recover targets - the boot horn has a 90 degree angle at the bottom. We found a solution to the problem and there is less silver in the ground because of it. Thanks for the kind words! Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• Ken Detect1.jpg
    Ken Detect1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 48