Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lawn mower dinged/cut coins

jim tn

For those of us that have been hunting for even a short period of time, it's not uncommon to recover lawn mower clipped, dinged and cut coins. I've recovered many over the years. Several of which, have been silver. In fact, my first Morgan dollar find had tangled with a lawn mower, but fortunately, none were of the key date variety. That is, until yesterday.

I stopped doing pictures of finds and the tales surrounding them some years ago now, but most can picture the top portion of Washington's head on a quarter nearly clipped off and the date just happened to be a 1932s. One of the two key dates in the series. The other being, the 32d.

I've found a lot of silver coins throughout my 50 + years with the hobby, but only two other key dates. Fortunately, it wasn't a mangled several hundred coin. But, still a key date and just goes to show there are still goodies left on even the hardest hit of spots still to be found.

Have a grand turkey day everyone! HH jim tn

For those of us that have been hunting for even a short period of time, it's not uncommon to recover lawn mower clipped, dinged and cut coins. I've recovered many over the years. Several of which, have been silver. In fact, my first Morgan dollar find had tangled with a lawn mower, but fortunately, none were of the key date variety. That is, until yesterday.

I stopped doing pictures of finds and the tales surrounding them some years ago now, but most can picture the top portion of Washington's head on a quarter nearly clipped off and the date just happened to be a 1932s. One of the two key dates in the series. The other being, the 32d.

I've found a lot of silver coins throughout my 50 + years with the hobby, but only two other key dates. Fortunately, it wasn't a mangled several hundred coin. But, still a key date and just goes to show there are still goodies left on even the hardest hit of spots still to be found.

Jim, yeah the lawn mower does gets many coins and it can be upsetting when they are silver. Sorry to hear it happened to you on such a cool coin.
I did find a half of a mercury dime and tried like crazy to find the other half but someone else probably did before I hit that area. I also have several bent wheat cents but so far no key dates for me.
Maybe you’re right, I should not post my finds folks take it as a brag thing but I just feel happy like a kid again when I make a good find. I love this hobby for giving me that feeling. Just fun, no worries like I was nine years old.
Happy hunting if you get out and happy thanksgiving.
Tony NJ

Yep I've got a couple cut up coins. No key date. The coolest coin I found was a 64 Kennedy that someone obviously set on the railroad track. Flatter then a pancake!!!! But still could see a 64... hhricknmi

Maybe you’re right, I should not post my finds folks take it as a brag thing but I just feel happy like a kid again when I make a good find.
No, no, Big Tony, I wasn't implying its a brag thing. In fact, I like and enjoy seeing what people are finding. In my case when I made the decision to quit posting finds, I had had an attempted break in and thought perhaps I was posting so much someone local may have tracked me down even though I had made it known on more then an occasion or two I didn't keep any valuable finds in the house. That's where my decision came from. And, any gold or silver I find still goes quite promptly into a safety box at the bank. For those that are comfortable posting, keep doing it! HH jim tn

Jim, yeah the lawn mower does gets many coins and it can be upsetting when they are silver. Sorry to hear it happened to you on such a cool coin.
I did find a half of a mercury dime and tried like crazy to find the other half but someone else probably did before I hit that area. I also have several bent wheat cents but so far no key dates for me.
Maybe you’re right, I should not post my finds folks take it as a brag thing but I just feel happy like a kid again when I make a good find. I love this hobby for giving me that feeling. Just fun, no worries like I was nine years old.
Happy hunting if you get out and happy thanksgiving.
Tony NJ
I love seeing what y'all find.
Not being able to get out.
Those pics bring joy to me and many others.

Found this on a park hunt back in the middle of the summer. LOL
Ron in WV

$10.jpg

Here is the only lawn mower/silver coin tussle that I have found. Clipped and cracked the ole C2.
IMG_8612.jpeg

No, no, Big Tony, I wasn't implying its a brag thing. In fact, I like and enjoy seeing what people are finding. In my case when I made the decision to quit posting finds, I had had an attempted break in and thought perhaps I was posting so much someone local may have tracked me down even though I had made it known on more then an occasion or two I didn't keep any valuable finds in the house. That's where my decision came from. And, any gold or silver I find still goes quite promptly into a safety box at the bank. For those that are comfortable posting, keep doing it! HH jim tn
Ok I understand.
Now this happened to me on this forum. Someone sent me a message asking me not to post my finds Because that person wasn’t able to either get out to detect or had another reason. I respected that person and only posted when I had something I thought was realmcool or a fun find. I never responded to the person and let it go thinking that they made up a new name just for that message. Crazy, I know.
Tony NJ

About 2yrs ago I dug up a large cent less than 10 ft. from a well casing on a permission where an old house once stood. Sadly, the coin had been hit with a mower chopping off the date. The coin was in good shape otherwise. I hav scoured that sight to find the cutoff section, but haven’t found it yet. ☹️

So the question on the wall is…….
If a dollar gets chopped up does it turn into 2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, or does it remain a dollar????

This one stands out in my memory. I never did figure out for sure what the other item is. On another hunt I found a big old silver Navy ring that had been chopped by a mower and thrown against a chain link fence. The Compadre really shined that day!

DSCN2148 (800 x 600).jpg

20180222_200422.jpg

20180222_200449.jpg

Found this on a park hunt back in the middle of the summer. LOL
Ron in WV

View attachment 49339
return it to the bank lol I've found plenty dinged and cut coins my best one was a huge gold nugget ring big dent in it it had a
big stone that was knock out i still wonder what the stone was sold the ring for scrap gold.
Mark