Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lead?

tadam84

I was hunting on a horse pasture the other day and i kept digging these rectangular pieces of metal (soft/nonmagnetic), but i don't know what it was. It was reading around vdi = 35 in coin/jewelry mode. I think it is lead, but I am not sure...Is there a way to test this and is this the typical vdi range for lead...thanks again
Tadam84

Good question. Anyone know where to get a metal testing kit? Gold, silver, lead, etc. del.

Good question about a metal testing kit. Sure hope we all get an answer to that.

Hunt4Fun

You don't need a tester for lead. It is a soft, heavy, non-magnetic silvery grey metal. It is easily scratched and a pocket knife will cut it. There is not much of anything else like it. It was commonly used for a lot of things until people started dieing from lead poisoning. Lead was used as a fuel additive, fishing sinkers, toys, pipes and thousands of other uses.

The VDI will vary with size. I found a 10 lb bar yesterday that was used as a window counterweight at an old house site. The DFX said it was a Silver Dollar.

Thanks, Larry, but I'm seeking a non-destructive test, perhaps with a chemical solution. I've seen one before, for gold I think where the solution turned purple which meant gold; no change meant not gold. That's more along the lines of what I'm looking for. del.