Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Leaked....your thoughts on an idea.

Kieth-Tx

Well....after 3 years of underwater salt water use....it happened. Salt water got in...not much at all but enough to toast the battery and one of the terminal ends. Called Minelab and it is headed their way today Sad thing is it happened to my buddy Rich also...so his is headed there as well. We are both meticulous when it comes to the cleanness of tge oring and the seating area. So we brainstormed and I thought of a big condom and Rich a balloon so we went with the balloon idea. After trial an error I found after you cut the nect off a ultra thick 16" ballloon....it fits perfectly and will also hold the battery clips down as well. The o-ring will always be the primary seal but this looks like it will contain most if not all water getting even near the battery itself. Thoughts?

Kieth,

Looks like it will do a great job of protecting from sand and grit, and protect the latches from popping open...but as far as water goes, not so much.

Under water pressure is insidious...it will find the tiniest path of least resistance, and make the balloon seem like it's not there.

(Might make it easier to find U/W if you use a bright color.)

Good Luck, and HH,
:)
mike

I see it as a simple lightweight solution to what ever it takes to protect the detector it and keep it working. :thumbup:

Exactly! I understand it won't be keeping water completely away from the area it is covering but give me peace of mind. Water seapage under the balloon will happen...but it will be minimal because of external water pressure on the balloon. Thanks!

That looks like a good idea on paper but largely ineffective to only seal the seam between battery and housing, while also keeping latches closed. I only hunt fresh water but have never had any trouble filling the gasket channel with that non-electrical plumbers grease (probably screwed that one up) followed by taping every square inch of exposed battety seam with electrical tape, with a few bonus wraps over the latches. I've never seen a drop of water get in this way. JJ

LOL...was thinking of electrical taping the lip edge also. Have scuba dived for years and all my cameras RECOMMENDED using silicone grease. I will be greasing that o-ring as soon as I get it back!