Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Learning something new everyday

Capreo

I have about 25 hrs on my recent ctx purchase and have already landed a handful of wheaties, some silver, and a few indian heads. Yet everytime I go out there is something new I learn about the machine. Today I hunted an area that was the trashiest park i ever set foot on.
With loads of screw caps that read like coins, my plan was to not dig anything less than 6 inches down, thus avoiding any screw caps which rarely sink that deep.
After about an hour of detecting I couldnt understand why all my readings while swinging were coming up 2,3, and 4 inches. Were there no deep targets in a 100 year old park??

Frustrated, I buried a penny at 7 inches and raked my coil across the replaced plug. Sure enough 3 inches was my reading.

But through this experiment I came to the realization that searching in extreme trash while swinging at a normal speed will not give an accurate depth reading. The junk littering the entire area was throwing the machine off. To counter this effect I turned fast on, deep off, swung at 1/4 speed. And when Id hit a coin tone Id wiggle over the area several times which would sometimes turn that 3" target into a 6 or 7" target . The first hour of detecting produced zero coins. the second hour after using the above method resulted in 4 wheaties. And all 4 initially read shallower until I gave it the wiggle.

Ive yet to read about anyone else having this issue but im sure its out there. I try to read as many tips as I can to learn this machine best I can. Hopefully what I learned today will help somone else out that uses depth as one of the indicators in digging .

Great findings Capreo,I too am now using those settings and the wiggle...though I've had mine a year and a half. I've had depth ID issues and was finally informed to do it like you're doing it. A somewhat accurate depth reading is paramount to the way I hunt,which is likely similar to what you're doing. Good info and good finds!

What settings are you using? I can swing mine at Deus speed and still get a correct id at 8 inches on a dime. Try ferrous combined , tone 50 co, fast off, deep on or off. noise cancel, manual sens at 23 if can stand it. I run a modified coin pattern opening up down to the fe 27 line, iron will sometimes if heavy enough drag your id down off the 12 line, but co number should still be close to ballpark for the target. Normal or long response, if you get into trashy spot change back to normal long is too long and will blend targets.

The problem I was having with inaccurate depth readings was in super trashy ground. And when i say trashy, I'm talking the entire area sprayed with junk every couple inches. In moderately trashy areas, depth readings are pretty spot on as I swing.

My settings were open pattern, ferrous coin, combined , fast on, deep off, auto +3 ,, normal response.

I'm guessing the prevalence of extreme trash was more then the machine could handle to give accurate depth readings during a full swing. I'm going back to the same park when we get a little rain. I may experiment with a few other settings. I'd love to be able to speed up my search without having to zone in on every coin tone for accurate depth.

If anyone has any suggestions please pass them along .

Maybe reading multi targets and giving the depth of the strongest. The wiggle CENTERS the target as well as strengthens processing reading.