Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Leather workers! Burnishing Brass?

Deserts Past

Good afternoon from SoCal Deserts! So I detected this 3/4” x 3/4” x 3/4”, to what I believe to be brass piece from an early mining camp. Can you imagine what I thought at first when I uncovered this! GOLD!! I only wished! Any way it fits between three fingers very well and has this nicely polish, slightly rounded side. I thought maybe leather workers could fill me in if this was something they might of used back in the day to burnish leather?

Attachments

• IMG_2030.jpeg
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2033.jpeg
    IMG_2033.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Oops! I forgot what forum I was on :sleep:! I do have the Deus 2 and this post should have been on the "Finds Forum" Is there a way to repost to the Finds Forum or should I just delete this post?

I would go ahead and post it there,very interesting to find out what it is.

What you said sounds plausible alright. Sure seems to be a finger tool probably used for rubbing over something. Kind of brings to mind on people making rubbings of old tombstone markers. Most of them used chalk but maybe wooden markers they used heavy paper and a rubbing tool. Was it a deep or shallow find? Maybe a local artist used it and lost it. You have a mystery piece.

What you said sounds plausible alright. Sure seems to be a finger tool probably used for rubbing over something. Kind of brings to mind on people making rubbings of old tombstone markers. Most of them used chalk but maybe wooden markers they used heavy paper and a rubbing tool. Was it a deep or shallow find? Maybe a local artist used it and lost it. You have a mystery piece.
Thanks for the comment! I had never heard of the tombstone marker practice before! It was 3-4" in somewhat hard packed soil. Yep, for sure a mystery piece! I normally can research most of my finds out but this one was/is a stickler. Thanks

From your description and picture it surely appears to be a man made finger held tool. Some enterprising dude decided that and used it in a similar fashion For rubbing or pressing something. 3-4 “ in that area it must have been quite a while back.