Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Legend/Equinox 600/Deus

What’s your choice?

• The Legend

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Equinox 600

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Deus I

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Commandor

Hello everybody!

I would like to ask you, more skilled treasure hunters, an advise.

I am having Nokta Makro Simplex Plus (now selling). My friend has Equinox 600 and I clearly see the difference between the detectors level. So, that’s time to buy something better.
The main purpose for me is a coins searching in the woods and fields. Also easier tune-up is an advance for me (of course, I understand that most likely it would be more complicated that in Simplex Plus, but still…)
I have 3 finalists and I suppose it’s quite standard:

1 Nokta Legend - I like that it’s cheaper and that the interface is more familiar for me, but I’m afraid that it could be not so good comparing to #2 and #3

2 Minelab Equinox 600 - I’m confused a bit about possible problems with crossbar (hope I call it right) and water resistance. Also it’s quite old model, but probably old but gold, right? :) theoretically, Model 700 is also possible, but it’s more expensive and don’t know if it’s a good idea to overpay

3 XP Deus I - I understand that it’s also a good one but I’m a bit frightened that Deus could be too complicated for me. Also we have not so much of them in my region (comparing with Minelab and Nokta)

Unfortunately, Equinox 800/900 and Deus II are too expensive for me

I have watched a plenty of reviews and compares on Russian segment of YouTube and still have no answer what’s better for me. And most of them look like payed for $ and don’t look impartial
Hope you could help me choose the best pros/cons detector

P.S. Sorry for mistakes

I think if you will study the features, capabilities & optional coil selection of each, The Legend is the easy best choice. More features & adjustability than Equinox 600. Equal features & more adjustability than Deus AND the ability to run several different Muli frequency profiles in addition to 5 selectable single frequencies.

The last one I would buy would be the 600 , 700 or nothing in the ML line if the price is an issue. There have been too many problems with the 600/800 line to jump on that model when it is being phased out by ML to begin with and a used one is just throwing money down the drain. Deus 1 is a good machine but the cost compared to the Legend makes that a non-purchase as well if value is a consideration , not to mention you are using a three battery setup with the Deus and none of those batteries are "easy" to replace. I personally don't see much of a dilemma as to what the best choice is , Nokta rules the roost under a $1000.

A machine for you to consider (and great deals on them) is the Garrett AT Pro. I love the AT Pro for woods hunting. I mainly utilize the 5x8” coil as it’s awesome at getting in between the brush, rocks and tree roots. I set it up in Pro mode as it’s very “telling” on targets. I have found some of my oldest and bucket list coins with this setup. Good luck in your decision.

Commandor, ], if I may, let me share some thoughts regarding your situation. First, you are new to this forum, so welcome. How long have you been metal detecting? Do you only have the Nokta Simplex +, and which search coil(s) do you have for it?

You stated you like to search in the woods and fields for coins, but you didn't indicate the type of, or amount of, undesired trash you might encounter .... if any. I also have hunted woods and fields where there had been some long-ago activity, but the amount of undesired trash was minimal and it was quite scattered about so there wasn't a lot of good-target masking to deal with. Most of the time, however, I have favored working remote locations of former dwellings, store, church, school, or town-sites where the amount of iron nails and other ferrous debris is a definite challenge. To best handle such conditions I prefer to use a smaller-size coil or at times a mid-size coil. Naturally, the detector of choice is also one with decent performance in cluttered areas and/or hunting in and around thick brush, building rubble, etc.

Financially, I could pick up the
phone and order a brand new XP Deus II, Minelab Equinox 900 or Manticore, a new Nokta Legend, or a few others that are so-called 'modern', or even order all of those I just listed at the same time .... but there is no reason for me to do that. Why not? Because I have owned and/or used some of the newer models and, while they do sometimes work okay for the sites I hunt, they haven't provided me any serious enhanced performance, nor have they really out-performed the units I have in my personal Detector Group.

I am here in the USA and I do search city parks and schools, vacant lots and renovation sites, but I would rather Relic Hunt the older-use and out-of-the-way sites I have enjoyed for decades. My current 'detector team' are these: Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric coils; Fisher F-19 Ltd. w/5X9¾ DD coil; Garrett Apex w/5X8 DD coil; Makro 'original' Racer w/4.7X5.2 DD coil; Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD coil; Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD coil; and my trusty White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil.

I do have an accessory coil if I want a little more coverage and/or depth for the V-540, Apex and XLT ... but I very seldom use a larger or 'normal' size search coil because smaller coils and mid-size coils usually provide ample performance. I have owned a few Simplex + units and I do like what they offer and their performance. I used mine against some very skilled friends with their Equinox 600 and 800 models and usually matched or bettered their performance. Again, it is a matter of knowing the detectors used, and making sure they have the best, most functional settings. Oh, all of my Simplex + hunting, on my own or comparing with others, used their 5X9½" DD coil, not the 'standard' 11" coil.

Of my detectors I have two models that feature SMF operation and all the other are SF types. But there is a difference between the Apex and V-540 and that is the V-540 uses their Multi-IQ SMF operation and it can perform reasonably well in many sites, but not the best in challenging conditions with multiple coils that were 'pocket-drops' or clustered together and making contact. Why not? It is simple a design 'glitch' because the V-540 is SMF ONLY, while the Apex also provides 4 SF choices of 5, 10, 15 and 20 kHz operation. In search conditions where the V-540 had difficulty on three coins that were touching or stacked, I could use ANY of my SF detectors or simply shift the Apex from SMF to a good mid-range SF mode and get much better performance. For the record, I have had Equinox 800 and compared it's SMF performance against the V-540 and had similar mixed-readings just lime the Vanquish. However, when I opted to switch to a SF with the Equinox, the performance was very good on that small coin cluster. The Apex also lets m pick a SF and I have had very good field performance in some challenging encounters over SMF.

In a nut shell, and sorry to ramble. I know that SOMETIMES an SMF detector can work well, but I also know that quite often a SF search with a dedicated SF unit or by choosing a SF on an SMF detector can get me a little better performance. I would encourage you to work with your Simplex + to know it well, and don't hesitate to check out some of the mid-range detectors on the market instead of the higher-cost units. You might be surprised. Sorry to ramble.

Monte

The XP DEUS 1 is a very simple detector once you set it up .. It is single freq but selectable ... Less EMI issue
Putting the coils numbers in .. Now the have Version 6 update adding the WSA HP ( no more adding oils numbers in the HP) ... Now you can buy DEUS 1 master WS4 or WS5 HF then add the ORX WSA HP

I think if you will study the features, capabilities & optional coil selection of each, The Legend is the easy best choice. More features & adjustability than Equinox 600. Equal features & more adjustability than Deus AND the ability to run several different Muli frequency profiles in addition to 5 selectable single frequencies.
Thank you for your advice

The last one I would buy would be the 600 , 700 or nothing in the ML line if the price is an issue. There have been too many problems with the 600/800 line to jump on that model when it is being phased out by ML to begin with and a used one is just throwing money down the drain. Deus 1 is a good machine but the cost compared to the Legend makes that a non-purchase as well if value is a consideration , not to mention you are using a three battery setup with the Deus and none of those batteries are "easy" to replace. I personally don't see much of a dilemma as to what the best choice is , Nokta rules the roost under a $1000.
Thank you for your opinion

A machine for you to consider (and great deals on them) is the Garrett AT Pro. I love the AT Pro for woods hunting. I mainly utilize the 5x8” coil as it’s awesome at getting in between the brush, rocks and tree roots. I set it up in Pro mode as it’s very “telling” on targets. I have found some of my oldest and bucket list coins with this setup. Good luck in your decision.
Appreciate you for an alternative opinion. I will check this device

Commandor, ], if I may, let me share some thoughts regarding your situation. First, you are new to this forum, so welcome. How long have you been metal detecting? Do you only have the Nokta Simplex +, and which search coil(s) do you have for it?

You stated you like to search in the woods and fields for coins, but you didn't indicate the type of, or amount of, undesired trash you might encounter .... if any. I also have hunted woods and fields where there had been some long-ago activity, but the amount of undesired trash was minimal and it was quite scattered about so there wasn't a lot of good-target masking to deal with. Most of the time, however, I have favored working remote locations of former dwellings, store, church, school, or town-sites where the amount of iron nails and other ferrous debris is a definite challenge. To best handle such conditions I prefer to use a smaller-size coil or at times a mid-size coil. Naturally, the detector of choice is also one with decent performance in cluttered areas and/or hunting in and around thick brush, building rubble, etc.

Financially, I could pick up the
phone and order a brand new XP Deus II, Minelab Equinox 900 or Manticore, a new Nokta Legend, or a few others that are so-called 'modern', or even order all of those I just listed at the same time .... but there is no reason for me to do that. Why not? Because I have owned and/or used some of the newer models and, while they do sometimes work okay for the sites I hunt, they haven't provided me any serious enhanced performance, nor have they really out-performed the units I have in my personal Detector Group.

I am here in the USA and I do search city parks and schools, vacant lots and renovation sites, but I would rather Relic Hunt the older-use and out-of-the-way sites I have enjoyed for decades. My current 'detector team' are these: Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric coils; Fisher F-19 Ltd. w/5X9¾ DD coil; Garrett Apex w/5X8 DD coil; Makro 'original' Racer w/4.7X5.2 DD coil; Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD coil; Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD coil; and my trusty White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil.

I do have an accessory coil if I want a little more coverage and/or depth for the V-540, Apex and XLT ... but I very seldom use a larger or 'normal' size search coil because smaller coils and mid-size coils usually provide ample performance. I have owned a few Simplex + units and I do like what they offer and their performance. I used mine against some very skilled friends with their Equinox 600 and 800 models and usually matched or bettered their performance. Again, it is a matter of knowing the detectors used, and making sure they have the best, most functional settings. Oh, all of my Simplex + hunting, on my own or comparing with others, used their 5X9½" DD coil, not the 'standard' 11" coil.

Of my detectors I have two models that feature SMF operation and all the other are SF types. But there is a difference between the Apex and V-540 and that is the V-540 uses their Multi-IQ SMF operation and it can perform reasonably well in many sites, but not the best in challenging conditions with multiple coils that were 'pocket-drops' or clustered together and making contact. Why not? It is simple a design 'glitch' because the V-540 is SMF ONLY, while the Apex also provides 4 SF choices of 5, 10, 15 and 20 kHz operation. In search conditions where the V-540 had difficulty on three coins that were touching or stacked, I could use ANY of my SF detectors or simply shift the Apex from SMF to a good mid-range SF mode and get much better performance. For the record, I have had Equinox 800 and compared it's SMF performance against the V-540 and had similar mixed-readings just lime the Vanquish. However, when I opted to switch to a SF with the Equinox, the performance was very good on that small coin cluster. The Apex also lets m pick a SF and I have had very good field performance in some challenging encounters over SMF.

In a nut shell, and sorry to ramble. I know that SOMETIMES an SMF detector can work well, but I also know that quite often a SF search with a dedicated SF unit or by choosing a SF on an SMF detector can get me a little better performance. I would encourage you to work with your Simplex + to know it well, and don't hesitate to check out some of the mid-range detectors on the market instead of the higher-cost units. You might be surprised. Sorry to ramble.

Monte
Monte, thank you for such a comprehensive answer. I have 2 year experience in detecting. Simplex is my first and only device (the coil is standard 11″). Before that I just had a bit experience with Garett Ace 150 of my friend.

About a trash. Yeah, usually there are many of it in my searching places. That's also why I'm thinking about the PRO version of The Legend with 6″ coil inside.

Wow, really impressive list of the detectors. Yeah, of course I understand that skill and the right settings are much important than the detector itself. I guess I'm still newbie so that's why I don't want really professional devise with complicated setup right now. Thank you again for all of your thoughts and sharing your experience. Hope one day I'll be such experienced as you are :)