Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Legend frequencies

Picketwire

I have a one gallon ice cream container almost full of sand from our old dump. Ground balance is about 4 on the Legend and 87 or so on my other detectors. It is very mineralized with ferrite. I can max out the mineralization meter on my Deus pumping it over this sand. I placed the container on top of a quarter to see which of my detectors would see it best. No go, not one, so I pushed the quarter down from the top into the sand and tried again. Some with small coils didn't make a sound unless they were in real all metal. Some sounded off but VID wouldn't make a person dig. I was just out in the garage with the Legend and the 9x6 coil checking it out again. I usually run in M1 field mode with all tones and iron filter about middle of adjustment, all metal accepted and sensitivity down a couple of notches because of EMI. These settings are what I tried first. I got mostly low iron numbers that would once in a while jump higher, about once every 10 or more swings to the mid to high 30s. Like every mode I tested, the higher numbers came up sweeping left to right. I don't know why, but it was consistent. The numbers never approached 50. I tried M2, and M3 with about the same results. The only thing I was changing was the frequency. When I got to 4khz, VID still jumped a bit but there was a much higher percentage of high VIDs. If I slowed down sweep speed VID improved. 10, 15 and 20khz was about the same with a bit higher percentage of high numbers and I could sweep faster. With SMF, I could tell there was something nonferrous down there, with single frequencies, I was getting an indication that a high conductor was there.

I switched to coin mode with basically the same results. Beach MD had louder tones, but no real indication there was anything good down there. I have saved profile 2 which is default mode and tried it. I got no response at all so I guess my changing adjustments didn't hurt performance too bad. I did find out one other thing I didn't know. When I set up profile 2 in field mode, one was created in park mode too. I did find out earlier that when you choose a new profile, it is automatically default mode.

I know not everyone's conditions will be close to mine but I have only been using SMF on my Legend and this has been an eye opener to me. Maybe the EMI was affecting SMF worse, I don't know. I couldn't hear any. I know all this proves is that if you have a quarter in some bad dirt in an ice cream container in my garage, single frequency might work better. It made, for me, a bigger difference than from switching from one SMF to another in this instance but it may not somewhere else. To me this says, don't be afraid to try single frequencies. I had always just assumed that because of my mineralization, SMF would alway be better here.

It pays dividends in knowledge to experiment. While your test is not the same as real in ground performance it is a good one. The higher TIDs from one direction may be because of the DD coil. The RX approaching first. For my iron ore red dirt ground, Field M1 has performed best with Recovery about 6 or 7 depending on moisture.

I frequently hunt in 4khz because it has proven to be a little deeper in my dirt that mostly balances below 10 , especially if there are a lot of old bottle caps around and time is limited. I usually run 5 or 6 recovery and for some reason above that the SMF(M3) seems to give me more "chirps" that turn into good targets.