Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Legend in modern trash

Has anyone done the quarter with foil test using an older version either 1.05 or 1.07 ?
Wonder if its just a 1.09 issue having something to do with the IF settings someone pointed out. I know neither are iron but I’m no technician

I was just asking pertaining to my case if it would be worth even updating if I basically dig just about everything.
Even in this scenario, trying to guess what you're about to dig out is a big part of the fun. Don't pretend it's not, as otherwise you likely would've settled with a much cheaper machine :LOL:
The high conductor was just overridden by the foil and its much greater surface area.
This hypothesis doesn't hold any water, especially when 15+50=11.
At this point I'm beginning to wonder if this is more of an electronics overload condition.
Legend has plenty of processing power to spare, so I think it's more of an algorithm bug than anything else. After all, we have to guess target ID based only on phase shift and signal strength…
What I was getting perturbed at today was the amount of older aluminum (or tin foil) foil that was showing 40s VDI. Tones were clear and some one way and others two way so they got dug. Foil should be low teens maybe 20s, not mid 40s. Also, I’m noticing since installing 09 that VDI seems to change a bit depending on which mode you are in. Meanwhile 4khz was a predator on silver today that at least five other machines missed, two being my F series Fishers.
VDIs are based on conductivity and inductivity; we're guesstimating both based on a phase shift. Thicker foil (or a dense clump of it) will usually read higher. Canslaw in this regard can be considered a super thick foil… Try switching over from Park to Field, it will alter how the lower range of (some) foil reads.
still couldn‘t read the quarter UNTIL I raised the coil up about 3 - 4 inches above the quarter and foil…Hmmmmm !
There are no straight lines in antenna fields. I've posted it earlier, but it's worth repeating… To visualize your coil's sensitivity, imagine your coil having a thin rubber membrane stretched over each of the "D" loops. Now drop a musketball into each loop and let that rubber stretch down freely. You'll have 2 shapes that roughly represent a Gaussian curve. On the left is your Tx field diagram, on the right is a receiver sensitivity diagram. As you can "see", they both have a rather wide "base", and their overlap (which in a perfect world is supposed to be our coil's "field of view") is getting exponentially thinner as we move away from the coil. So basically you're dealing with a concentric coil "field of view" that's been flattened from the sides. So yeah, it may behave quite similar to concentric.

I've said this about the Legend before, but not with foil and silver. If you put 2 coins near each other, say a Lincoln and and a quarter, the legend will not see the quarter, or if it does it will be a single beep,and will come up with a number such as 33

Actually, and thats why i say im an odd duck, i don’t enjoy guessing what it correctly is before digging. Not knowing is more exciting to me. I would only always second guess what the machine is telling me because lets be real, the numbers and detector are never 100% accurate just like we are discussing right now about foil and quarter.
Hence why i usually just dig everything, which if you don’t want to miss any jewelry you should probably do anyway.
So yeah i was happy with a simple Tesoro, but they don’t make them anymore. I do enjoy as i said some extra features that are not on a simple cheap detector and those are, waterproof, choosing frequencies, so i don’t have to buy three or four detectors for different frequencies, ability to do smf, DD coil, light weight, bt headphones just to name a few.
The Legend seemed to fit that bill pretty good for not a whole lot more money than a Tesoro. I wouldn’t spend $1000 for a beep and dig detector.

I'm with Tmops50 on this one all the way......if you are hunting jewellry or similar you just cant afford to trust any machine to distinquish between ally and the good stuff all the time......you are going to miss stuff full stop.
The only way to be sure is dig it.....im afraid if you want to find those good targets detecting is still hard graft no matter what the manufacturers want you to believe.

I'm with Tmops50 on this one all the way......if you are hunting jewellry or similar you just cant afford to trust any machine to distinquish between ally and the good stuff all the time......you are going to miss stuff full stop.
The only way to be sure is dig it.....im afraid if you want to find those good targets detecting is still hard graft no matter what the manufacturers want you to believe.
I believe the old principle will always apply. The more you dig the more you will find

In my finds collection, I have a very interesting artifact… I call it "the earring of doom". It's a small, but very intricate white gold earring that doesn't register on any SMF/FMF machine running stock program. It can be detected if you tweak the stock program, of course, but otherwise… silence. In case of the Legend, it doesn't register unless you use M2 or 40 kHz, then it reads a solid 20. Any other frequency – nada, there's no target at all.

…And you know what, I've just put some batteries into an old Harbor Freight detector that I found abandoned in the field (the one that costs around $40 brand new, if I'm not mistaken). Beep, beep, beep, beep – a solid 2-way hit on that earring.

If you're digging everything in mild soil or sand and don't care for audible target ID (read "multiple tones"), you don't have to buy an advanced machine :devil:

In my finds collection, I have a very interesting artifact… I call it "the earring of doom". It's a small, but very intricate white gold earring that doesn't register on any SMF/FMF machine running stock program. It can be detected if you tweak the stock program, of course, but otherwise… silence. In case of the Legend, it doesn't register unless you use M2 or 40 kHz, then it reads a solid 20. Any other frequency – nada, there's no target at all.

…And you know what, I've just put some batteries into an old Harbor Freight detector that I found abandoned in the field (the one that costs around $40 brand new, if I'm not mistaken). Beep, beep, beep, beep – a solid 2-way hit on that earring.

If you're digging everything in mild soil or sand and don't care for audible target ID (read "multiple tones"), you don't have to buy an advanced machine :devil:
Yeah i got more than I needed but to get different frequency detectors, waterproof, BT headphones etc in the end probably would have spent more on multiple detectors and i have it all in one.
The old saying use the detector that you enjoy using and you will find more. Well happens to be this one. So even if i over spent a little still better to have one you actually enjoy using even if you don’t use all the features

Funny you should say that.
When i sold all my detectors the last two i sold was my tesoro vaquero and minelab excalliber.
I had six Tesoro’s and three minelabs in all.
Believe me when i just got back into the hobby the first thing i did was look for tesoro and to my surprise they were out of business. As whites
So i looked at what was out there and said what the heck is a Nokta Makro and here i am.
No just didn’t want used and wasn’t paying $600 for a left over Cibola.
NM legend actually had everything I wished my tesoro had. Its light the main thing, right frequencies, waterproof.
The built in battery was the only draw back to me, prefer to swap out a 9 volt but the smf option outweighed that.
Yes i am an odd duck when it comes to metal detecting a simple beep and dig machine is all i actually need.
To me the hobby is more of therapy.
A break from the monotony, by myself away from people. Really care less what i find. I do like the technical aspects and yeah enjoy talking and arguing with you guys 😁
I agree with what you said, however, it's really hard to find that person who doesn't mind a thousand holes in their lawn. :LOL:

As I said elsewhere, it's fine if you want to dig all nonferrous signals. Problem is, with the math like 15+50=11, there's a possibility that some combination of nonferrous metals might read as ferrous.

I think you need a new avatar to reflect that… 🦆:ROFLMAO:
Yep and as I said, if some ferrous targets come up sometimes when i dig then so be it. Not going to get bent out of shape over it. Its all good 😎

I've been disappointed in the tones from my Legend with all the adjustments available and discovered something today that is a bit concerning since no one in this area will be swinging one I can compare to. I always use headphones , never the detector speaker , but was doing some testing today and noticed the detector speaker is much clearer than any set of headphones I hooked up. This includes the NM bluetooth wireless that comes with the machine as well as GreyGhosts , Pro Golds , Koss and a three or four others. They all have a bit of a raspiness that does not come from the main speaker. In addition , the headphone adapter that comes from NM will not work with any of these headphones that have 1/4" plugs only the !/8" plugs with the appropriate adapter.. This thing is getting closer and closer to being a resale.

It might be sacrelig but maybe the XP phones might work…..While being really nice phones, the Legend Pro phones sound like a good set for listening to music, not detecting…. They are too smooth sounding…too bass heavy….I like a sharper sounding headphone….more along the lines of a cheapo set of phones whereby you can hear every little crackle and pop…That’s why the cheapo speaker in the Legend is actually more telling than the phones !!

I agree with what you said, however, it's really hard to find that person who doesn't mind a thousand holes in their lawn. :LOL:
That'll be my neighbor across the street, who gave me a generous permission to dig as much as I want in her backyard… which needs a goddamn pickaxe even after weeks of rain :ROFLMAO:
They all have a bit of a raspiness that does not come from the main speaker.
The built in speaker is muffled, that's a side effect of being waterproof and padded to withstand water pressure. What you're hearing through headphones is a true voice of your machine. You want it muffled too? Buy a set of sweat guards such as this one, it will smooth things out. I keep these on all my muffs, especially in the summer.
I like a sharper sounding headphone…
You must be young… Remember that setting where you adjust the actual tone frequency? Set it all the way up to 30.

There are all kinds of demonstrations being put out there implying this and that. Remember the ones with the rusty iron nails. All three machines had the id numbers go down D2 the worst second the Legend and Equinox giving the highest but way below the numbers you should have got on that target.
Now we’re watching them do one on two different conductive targets. Please notice they are not working the signal. I’ve replicated the test using a quarter and a dime. If you work the target it’ll tell you there are two targets there and give you the right numbers for each one. I can’t imagine only swinging over a target in one place. You won’t get the information to make that dig or not decision. I’ve dug so many targets with the Legend that only hit two ways in one spot I’ve lost count. Sounded not so good on most swings as I worked around the signal but then there was that sweet sound and if shallow enough the ferro check gave a good non ferrous signal. I’ve found coins, mini balls and relics that did exactly what I’ve just described. Plus, this was done in areas pounded by other machines.
If he would have worked that signal he could have determined there were two targets there one high conductor and one low.
Why two nonferrous targets in close proximity give even a ferrous signal on the ferro check when you swing over them in one place I can’t explain and honestly don’t care because if I work the signal it’ll either say that’s junk don’t dig or you better check it out. Learn the machine and what it’s trying to tell you. Don’t just swing over targets in one place and start posting videos claiming it’s got problems when the problem is you’re not working the signal. To me it’s just ridiculous. There are countless scenarios of what could be in the ground by a target and how a machine will react. That’s why you work a signal to see what your machine is telling you.
The Legend is a great machine that will get you a lot of good finds. No, it’s not perfect. But then again no company makes one that is.

Though I love my gray ghost headphones.
I've come to like an old set of Garret headphones.
Sharp crisp with little base.
Great for my older near deaf ears.

I tried BT Headphones ONE time, just one time. Didn't like it at all cause I didn't have a pin pointer that would sync to the headphones and I was constantly having to remove the headphones to hear the pin pointer.

All the headphones had the same haziness in the signal a bit like the fuzzy sound one gets from a junk target but not as obvious. At first I thought I was just overdriving the volume but it doesn't diminish as the gain or volume is reduced until the sound is nearly muted. The XP backphones are what I normally hunt with and the same pair is clear as a bell on the etrac or F75. If the Bluetooth was clear I would say it was somwthing in the headphone adapter but they have the same fuzzy sounds. I am going to contact NM about the adapter not working with standard 1/4" headphone plugs correctly . You can get it work if you slowly slide the connector in and wait for a sound but it doesn't lock in place or stay at that position without holding it.