Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Legend Newbie

Rob183

I started detecting in mid 70's as a teen starting with TR detectors then progressed to VLF, mostly beep and dig with some simple TID later on. The Legend is my first attempt with a multi-frequency detector since I moved from Ohio to Dunedin Florida to try my had at beach detecting. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and I'm starting to believe it. For the life of me I can't figure out all of the different sounds and TID that come from this machine. I don't know if this is the machine for me or not. It came with software 1.09 so I installed 1.11, did the factory reset. I tried a small tot lot this morning and found a near surface dime which I could tell from the double beep, a few pieces of foil that were an 11, but everything else had me stumped. Too many signals from what I'm going to guess were assorted trash so I gave up, to continue would have had the detector wrapped around a tree. I know that this machine is supposed to be incredible but I just can't seem to figure it out. Ant help would be appreciated, or suggestions for another machine that will still give me decent results at the beach.

I started in this hobby back in March i think, purchased a Legend and went about trying to learn it ( I'm still working at learning it ) the machine I think has a somewhat steep learning curve especially if new to metal detecting
my suggestion would be to plant a test bed with whatever you hope to find , coins, Jewlery, can slaw, nails etc. try going into your settings I suggest using 4 tones to start with, and simply go to your test bed and try to get use to the tones and corresponding VDI, possibly create a cheat sheet then go out and practice with it, I can tell you that with practice and a bit of knowledge it does get easier
also download the 1.11 user manual and read it

to date I have had a lot of fun and having some success I have found plenty of coinage, rings, earrings, plenty of bottle caps, can slaw, pop tops, beaver tails etc. just a lot of fun

Use it with one tone and disc like your old beep and dig. If it sounds "round", dig it. Surely you have been there before. It won't take long to start telling the good from the bad. Dig according to sound and the numbers will start making sense. You don't have to learn the jillion different settings and sounds right away to be successful. Also read everything you can find in the manual about the beach modes and their stability, etc. I would say that any other machine as capable as the Legend will be as hard to learn if not more so.

The guys above have given you some good advice. Good targets on multi frequency TID machines sound the same as good targets on beep and dig detectors. With your Legend you get the added benefit of accurate TID numbers. If the numbers dont bounce more than 1 or 2 numbers and the audio sounds good then dig.

Detectors with numbers screen vs beep and dig can make things seem overwhelming. Could be your detector is just unstable for various reasons and is making all kinds of noise and numbers everywhere. Figure out what you need to do to settle it down, try a area that is definitely not full of trash like a like a field or in the woods and see if it settles. Maybe emi, too high sensitivity etc.
Make a test garden in your yard and put a piece of tape over the screen and go by sound only at first. Basically KISS.
Could even possibly be a faulty detector. I went from beep and digs to the legend and I was overthinking everything at first and getting overwhelmed but everything eventually became clear.

Last edited:
I started detecting in mid 70's as a teen starting with TR detectors then progressed to VLF, mostly beep and dig with some simple TID later on. The Legend is my first attempt with a multi-frequency detector since I moved from Ohio to Dunedin Florida to try my had at beach detecting. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and I'm starting to believe it. For the life of me I can't figure out all of the different sounds and TID that come from this machine. I don't know if this is the machine for me or not. It came with software 1.09 so I installed 1.11, did the factory reset. I tried a small tot lot this morning and found a near surface dime which I could tell from the double beep, a few pieces of foil that were an 11, but everything else had me stumped. Too many signals from what I'm going to guess were assorted trash so I gave up, to continue would have had the detector wrapped around a tree. I know that this machine is supposed to be incredible but I just can't seem to figure it out. Ant help would be appreciated, or suggestions for another machine that will still give me decent results at the beach.
Lastly go back and talk to phil at Meyers and explain what is happening. They have a MD club in Tampa and im sure you can get help doing live digs, a lesson of sorts to get it figured. If you are open to help you will get it in this hobby, if you are one that can’t swallow their pride it will be al little tougher. If most of us can do it im sure you can.

Just take a few different coins, quarter, dime, copper penny, zinc penny and a nickle.

Get a couple of pull tabs and pop tops and just put them on top of the grass and take note of what the numbers do over each object.

The park you were in may have had high emi so be sure to do a frequency scan and if it persist then try a different frequency to see it the chattering settles down. Also you do not have to run the sensitivity high when you start out.

Just give it some time before you make a ball bat out of it.