Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lesson possibly painfully learned.

Ronstar

Back up to the EMI Hell zone, you’ld think I was into pain and punishment. But I keep getting little bits and pieces……
Managed to get the upper EMI quieted by dropping to 4khz and reducing threshold to 25. Got a repeatable signal in the 40s on the Legend and pulled a 1917 wheat. A few minutes later out pops a 1924S wheat so hoping but I had a glitch occurring in finding it. It may have been quiet above ground but the minute I turned on the carrot it started a slow vibration. No matter where I put it to the ground it started vibrating. I was lucky this time as I was able to touch the coin and it locked on. Detector quiet, carrot noisy.
Started to move away and hit deep nickel, same problem with the handheld but again I was able to almost touch it so I did get it, 1952 nickel.
Nothing much more exciting until I got one more wheat….. date unreadable and coin mildly blemished with pock marks like a zinc gets. Figured it would clean up once home.
Soaked it and attacked it with the toothbrush and now I can see 191 and a D below the date. Started lightly brushing with a brass brush and it was getting easier to get the last number but still not sure. Second mistake? To use a bit more muscle to scrub. First mistake? Scrubbing on a 1914D penny.
I do not think this would have even come close to grading G4 and no idea if that thing could have been cleaned up to make that point. No way to know if dud as cant see if VLB initials are on shoulder nor will I ever be able to know that. Sorry I ruined a 1914D, happy at least I know what the numbers are!!!
1914 on the left then 17 then 24. The D is visible using 10x loupe.

Attachments

• 2FA4CC65-AD0E-4E9B-B0A6-3B35AC4581C4.jpeg
    2FA4CC65-AD0E-4E9B-B0A6-3B35AC4581C4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
Great that you got a key date! Double edged sword between not knowing and wishing you hadn't... Personally, I'd rather know the date. Good job!

Back up to the EMI Hell zone, you’ld think I was into pain and punishment. But I keep getting little bits and pieces……
Managed to get the upper EMI quieted by dropping to 4khz and reducing threshold to 25. Got a repeatable signal in the 40s on the Legend and pulled a 1917 wheat. A few minutes later out pops a 1924S wheat so hoping but I had a glitch occurring in finding it. It may have been quiet above ground but the minute I turned on the carrot it started a slow vibration. No matter where I put it to the ground it started vibrating. I was lucky this time as I was able to touch the coin and it locked on. Detector quiet, carrot noisy.
Started to move away and hit deep nickel, same problem with the handheld but again I was able to almost touch it so I did get it, 1952 nickel.
Nothing much more exciting until I got one more wheat….. date unreadable and coin mildly blemished with pock marks like a zinc gets. Figured it would clean up once home.
Soaked it and attacked it with the toothbrush and now I can see 191 and a D below the date. Started lightly brushing with a brass brush and it was getting easier to get the last number but still not sure. Second mistake? To use a bit more muscle to scrub. First mistake? Scrubbing on a 1914D penny.
I do not think this would have even come close to grading G4 and no idea if that thing could have been cleaned up to make that point. No way to know if dud as cant see if VLB initials are on shoulder nor will I ever be able to know that. Sorry I ruined a 1914D, happy at least I know what the numbers are!!!
1914 on the left then 17 then 24. The D is visible using 10x loupe.
OH, how well I know that feeling of 'should have left it be'! I found a nice (like just lost from the bank 1872 IH Penny. Heavily encrusted it was found under a sidewalk tear-out in old inner city area. So, I soaked it, and soaked and soaked it in hydrogen peroxide for week after week after week --- scrubbing ever so carefully with soft toothbrush. It was almost to a state where most of the encrustation was gone and well over 90 percent of the detail remained i.e. full liberty on the headdress. So... I got really STOOPID!!! I decided I would drop the coin in a jar of pickle juice for maybe 5 minutes, soft scrub again, rinse repeat from the hydrogen peroxide. BIg Problem --- my phone rang and I forgot my IH in the pickle juice for more than an hour, too long. OUCH!!!