Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Let's talk pinpointng a target

Elmy

When you swing over a target in your normal sweep pattern...while you wiggle over the target to locate it...hit the pinpoint button...
That will narrow the response down to where you can't hardly miss the target on your digging up you treasure.
Try it with a coin on top of the ground...swing across it at about 5 to 6 inches above it and hit the pinpoint button as you would out in the field while
trying to locate the target.

This old man has given you many tips and ways to make it a whole lot easier for all of you and I hope some do appreciate my sharing what I have
tested and tried myself while detecting.

Happy hunting to you all and I hope this helps some to do a better job of pinpointing and digging our treasures.

E L M Y

When you swing over a target in your normal sweep pattern...while you wiggle over the target to locate it...hit the pinpoint button...
That will narrow the response down to where you can't hardly miss the target on your digging up you treasure.
Try it with a coin on top of the ground...swing across it at about 5 to 6 inches above it and hit the pinpoint button as you would out in the field while

This old man has given you many tips and ways to make it a whole lot easier for all of you and I hope some do appreciate my sharing what I have

Happy hunting to you all and I hope this helps some to do a better job of pinpointing and digging our treasures.

E L M Y
This is how to explain it clearly.
Just swing slowly across the coin and as the coin hits dead center on your target hit pinpoint.

Thanks, Elmy. Etrac pinpointing is a pia for me. I use your method, but when there is iron nearby, it messes me up, especially if it is a deep silver.

Thanks, Elmy. Etrac pinpointing is a pia for me. I use your method, but when there is iron nearby, it messes me up, especially if it is a deep silver.
I have been using the long response and listening for the silver high tone...then when I swing across the target area, the etrac pinpoint button locks unto the desired target.
Just a suggestion....but do try the coin on top of the ground trick and let me know.
Sometimes the little peep of a coin in iron is hard to hear, with long response it really screams at you.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've tried using both smooth and long responses... for me they are really hard to get used to. I'll try again.

E L M Y
Thank you

excellent advise... I used a similar style of pinpointing many years ago... now I just watch the coil and listen turn 90 do the same and I can "see" my location ... works on coins well, except nickels... I have always found that nickels end up at 6 o'clock in the hole almost everytime. that's how I know when I flip the plug and send the PP in if it's a nickel or a pull tab/beavertail.

Im following what you’re saying Elmy but on the F75 it goes from soft to loud back to soft plus I’m watching the depth icon. Takes me maybe 5 seconds to locate center and if target is 5” or less I use the trowel to dig and it 99% of the time in the hole. Are you saying tho if deeper to try other method? Thats when I use Lesche shovel and sometimes I’m off a bit then. Will try your advise later when Jeff drags me out to relive his glory spots 🙄😂

That's what I love about concentric coil pinpoint is dead on.
We used probes back in the day to pop coins out.

I quit using the pinpoint button years ago and just use the wiggle method and the only time the target is off center is when it's iron.

if you hit the pinpoint just right it will lock onto the coin and not the iron.