Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

LG15 vs LG24

synthnut

I bought the pro kit with all the bells and whistle’s which included the LG15 coil as well as the LG28 coil…..I immediately fell-in love with the LG15 coil as I deal with plenty of trash here in NY…..Since the LG24 looks like a coil that will do the LG15 duties maybe a little better, it has peaked my interest…Has anyone used this coil, and if so can they give me the skinny on it ?….Thanks, Jim

If I bought the LG24 I'd have one more coil setting in the closet (LG15/LG24); can't say which one but I know for sure the LG15 is a killer for separation AND depth. In the last 3 hours of detecting I've dug (2) Merc's in heavily trashy Park that were both over 6" deep. I see NO need to buy the LG24 cause you're basically going to get the same depth and I'm not certain about separation.
I just updated the software on my Legend to 1.10 version and need to get out and test. LOVE THE LEGEND!!!!

Very very slightly more depth, main thing is coverage. Separation suffers a bit but that’s always the trade off with any bigger coil size in comparison.
Bottom line or skinny its an in between coil size if that matters to you.
Every size has its own place kind of like a wrench set lol

I would kind of disagree with the capn but he also makes a good point. I have the 24 because I want to cover a little more ground than the hockey puck can cover. I used the 24 in the same areas as the 15 and did better with it because I feel I covered the ground more thoroughly. The key with the 24 in really heavy trash is to move forward slowly. If the areas you cover with the 15 are relatively small there's probably little to gain by getting the 24 , both have their place and work well.

I bought the pro kit with all the bells and whistle’s which included the LG15 coil as well as the LG28 coil…..I immediately fell-in love with the LG15 coil as I deal with plenty of trash here in NY…..Since the LG24 looks like a coil that will do the LG15 duties maybe a little better, it has peaked my interest…Has anyone used this coil, and if so can they give me the skinny on it ?….Thanks, Jim
I too purchased the pro kit and have basically been using the LG15 exclusively because it gets such great depth for a small call and the separation is phenomenal! I have the SP24 for my Simplex (which I also use pretty exclusively for the same reasons) but I don't foresee me buying the LG24 for the Legend. I just don't see a need for it at this time. I tend to swing low and slow anyway and covering large swaths of land just isn't a huge concern of mine. I like to take a nice leisurely pace when I hunt and the LG15 serves my needs perfectly. :) HH, George

i got the lg 24 & i love it the 15 did not cover enough ground for me but its a good coil

All great points but as i said they all work respectively. The smaller the coil the less depth and coverage but better separation and vis versa.
Going back to the wrench analogy a big adjustable wrench will also work on small nuts and bolts, work stronger without as much effort but won’t do well in tight spots.
The main thing of the different coil sizes is to be the most efficient for the area you are hunting based on your needs and and technique.
Its great they have more options, the more the better, because one size does not fit all and doesn’t mean it’s useless.
What works best for one person might be different for someone else.Otherwise there would only be one model detector with only one coil size.
Heck id still be happy with a beep and dig detector lol why have all those different features. Id still rather see a company offer many different options you never know when you might want or need it.
Now i did notice with the lg24 especially in the front part of the coil it is more sensitive to targets in a broader area (more coverage for sure) but also definitely more prone to picking up multiple targets close together. Jmo in more trashy areas increase the recovery speed, lose some depth or use the lg15 and lose some coverage.
Personally it all depends on how big of an area i am hunting. In a very small area if you have the time and patience use the lg15 and thoroughly scan the area. Tot lots , picnic tables, definitely around fences, etc. then pop on the lg24 going into more open spaces and the even bigger coil for even more open spaces.
You can actually be the most efficient using all of them, depending how much effort you want to put in

Because of time constraints I rarely have any more than 2 ~2.5 hrs. to hunt at any one time. You'd think I'd really like a LG24 so I could cover more ground, but it's the opposite for me. Since last fall I've hunted the SAME patch of ground and have found more Silver coins and Indian penny's than I ever have. I hunt slow and make sure my swing path is tight and low to the ground. I am now concentrating on the weak and iffy targets and that's where the Silver hides.
I LOVE the LEGEND!!

Because of time constraints I rarely have any more than 2 ~2.5 hrs. to hunt at any one time. You'd think I'd really like a LG24 so I could cover more ground, but it's the opposite for me. Since last fall I've hunted the SAME patch of ground and have found more Silver coins and Indian penny's than I ever have. I hunt slow and make sure my swing path is tight and low to the ground. I am now concentrating on the weak and iffy targets and that's where the Silver hides.
I LOVE the LEGEND!!
Alot of people have been saying how they are finding things in “hunted out sites” with the Legend.
Used to think it was just a saying manufacturers would say to sell detectors. I notice the small coils for the legend are hot coils. Perhaps its more in the coils than the detector, perhaps both but either way continues to amaze

Thanks for the info guys….I appreciate the different view points……That being said, I think that the LG15 covers the trashy, tight, spaces good enough …It’s been bolted to my detector 98% of the time…..The Lg24 is a nice coil, but it’s too close in performance to the LG15…. Thanks again guys !

Thanks for the info guys….I appreciate the different view points……That being said, I think that the LG15 covers the trashy, tight, spaces good enough …It’s been bolted to my detector 98% of the time…..The Lg24 is a nice coil, but it’s too close in performance to the LG15…. Thanks again guys !
The lg15 is definitely tighter in trashy spots. If thats what you hunt I would definitely stick with that.

For me, the LG30 seems to be the perfect coil. Not too big, and I can hunt from a saltwater beach to someone's back yard. It's a great combination. I own another high end detector and although they are sort of alike, but function a little different, what I find, or miss, can vary, so the two units sort of complement each other. Both are fun to use. Especially after learning all the settings, customizing and refining them in the field, then saving them.