Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Likes / Dislikes about the EQ800 vs CTX3030

masterjedi

My thoughts on the EQ800

I recently received the EQ800.
I have been detecting since 1977 and have had many detectors over the years.

Currently I have:
2 old BH wall hangers
Fisher F44
Fisher F75LTD SE (with all size coils)
Whites MXT All Pro (with all size coils)
Minelab Etrac (with all size coils)
Minelab CTX 3030 (with all size coils)
Minelab Equinox 800

What I really like about the 800:
Fast/separation
Lightweight
Great screen (Really Great)
Easy to use
Clear target sounds
Pinpoints nice
Wireless headphones
Did I say fast... lol

Dislikes:
Target ID's to close together (more of a beep and dig machine) Dig anything 12/13 and over 20. I may get better with time.
Nose heavy
Cheap camlocks

I miss from my CTX:
fe/co numbers
Target trace pinpoint
I can cherry pick with it like no other detector
Accurate target ID
Deep
CTX camlocks are the best ever

In iron trash sites = eq800
In cleaner parks and lawns = CTX

What a combo :) very happy here

Just my honest opinion.

Gary from Oregon

Coming from the CTX since it was released, the only thing I wish the EQX did better was depth reading. On the CTX I could reliably skip shall targets based on the site I was hunting. With the EQX I End up digging everything that isn't obviously near the surface. The only upside to this is that I end up digging a lot more clad. The downside is wasting time on clad when I'm looking for old coins and silver.

In my hunts, the EQX is every bit as deep as my CTX is. I really loved the FE-CO scale and the target trace of the CTX, but I am digging plenty of old, deep coins that I missed with the CTX, so I can't really say the loss of it is hurting my hunts. The EQX is nailing nickles and tiny gold far better than the CTX and its half the weight.

Likes: Light weight - Low price - waterproof - salt water stable - easy to understand programing.

Dislikes: Short supply (hard to find one) - made in China - shape of control head.

I miss the Fe/Con screen.... just more info. The CTX is more stable in the water its not a constant chatter. PRICE..... what a difference. I could buy 2-800s and a 600 for the cost of a CTX. The Nox is just simple...... light and doesnt feel like a combat weapon dragging a dead horse in the water. i like the Noxs ability to turn bin tones down. Id liked to have had a higher Khz range for those bins also. Great to have a single or multi freq machine that can be used for about any kind of hunting. TID...... dead on with the CTX... not so much with the Nox which makes you dig a lot of unwanted trash..... in say a park thats not good. Coil on the Nox is one of the best moving in the water. Put the ML shaft away for traveling and get an Andersons. Wireless.... which gives you options of ear buds or phones. WM08..... over priced. Coil sizes for both machines could be better. Waterproof headphones again toss um unless you are diving. GB seems better on the CTX. Threshold...... ive not made a decission on this one yet. I really like not having the extra buzzzz in my ear..... but what am i loosing by not having a REAL threshold in the water? Id liked to have had the same PPing system the Xcal has.......now that would have been interesting. Some things seem redundant........ like AM vs no disc....or turning down the volume to 0 vs disc. Im kind of liking the charging system and NOT having any thing to open and close. WARRANTY.... great for the price on the NOX..... could have been like the Xcal.

I found the 17'' coil on the CTX to be deeper in my air tests than the nox. But 11'' coils were the same. So I miss that depth but assume we will get it when the nox 15'' comes out.

CTX gives you more info otherwise the nox is every bit as good. Then again i felt this way about the safari vs the CTX.

Willee said:
Likes: Light weight - Low price - waterproof - salt water stable - easy to understand programing.

Dislikes: Short supply (hard to find one) - made in China - shape of control head.

They are not made in China they are made in Malaysia

masterjedi said:
My thoughts on the EQ800

I recently received the EQ800.
I have been detecting since 1977 and have had many detectors over the years.

Currently I have:
2 old BH wall hangers
Fisher F44
Fisher F75LTD SE (with all size coils)
Whites MXT All Pro (with all size coils)
Minelab Etrac (with all size coils)
Minelab CTX 3030 (with all size coils)
Minelab Equinox 800

What I really like about the 800:
Fast/separation
Lightweight
Great screen (Really Great)
Easy to use
Clear target sounds
Pinpoints nice
Wireless headphones
Did I say fast... lol

Dislikes:
Target ID's to close together (more of a beep and dig machine) Dig anything 12/13 and over 20. I may get better with time.
Nose heavy
Cheap camlocks

I miss from my CTX:
fe/co numbers
Target trace pinpoint
I can cherry pick with it like no other detector
Accurate target ID
Deep
CTX camlocks are the best ever

In iron trash sites = eq800
In cleaner parks and lawns = CTX

What a combo :) very happy here

Just my honest opinion.

Gary from Oregon

My thoughts pretty much mirror yours!

One of the things I miss is a sliding rod like on the CTX or DEUS for transport and carrying into the woods.
If they ever shrink down the CTX I will but another I just sold mine because of weight.

Likes .
Lightweight , waterproof , 11 inch coil , multi frequency , works in salt water , straight stem .

Dislikes .
To many targets in too small an area on the screen , 1/8 in headphone socket , crap headphones , expensive WM08 module . poor quality coil cover .

Dont cares .
Cheap stem .

Tomorrow i will be receiving my second Nox 800 . No regrets . Yet .

ctx likes]
Accurate targets
target trace
knowing what I'm digging
adjust ability
ctx dislikes
way too heavy
steep learning curve
did not need gps
afraid to get it wet

nox
good screen
dislike
tuff to id targets
digging 4 times the junk
wobbly shaft
not a quality build

masterjedi --

A very, very good, well-balanced, thoughtful post. I agree with your assessment. Can you imagine an Equinox with FE/CO numbers and a 2-D screen, with target trace?!?!

brother steve -- there is a fix for that wobbly shaft issue...you might contact Minelab.

Steve

Steve -

Yes, Yes I can imagine an Equinox with FE/CO numbers and a 2-D screen, with target trace?!?!

It would be so awesome!!! I mean crazy awesome!!! :)

Gary from Oregon :crazy:

Great info! Thanks everyone!