Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Little and BIG silver !

bbqman

I ask and got permission to hunt a 19th century house yesterday and after scanning the sidewalk and picking up 6 wheats, I decided to return today and give it a more thorough going over. As is sometimes the case, not a lot of targets clsoe together in the part I hunted today. Finally picked up a wheat, then got a junky signal that I decided to dig and got a `37 d Merc, so finally broke the silver drought in my 3 hunts over the last 3 days. Nearby was service button, probably WW2, little over and inch in diameter. Lot of junk in the yard, an old lock, a couple more wheats then up near the house, got a shallow strong coin signal and started not to dig it, but went ahead and turned over a 2 inch plug and there in that dirt was BIG SILVER ! Only my 4th half ever, a 1950 Franklin. I won`t pass up anymore shallow coins, I may dig a slew of memorials and clad, but this broke me of passing them by ! Did get a 1909 wheat, my oldest ever Lincoln, just a philly, but I like it just the same along with a `17, `19, and `27.
Thanks for looking and good hunting to all.

Nice finds.

And good idea, I don't pass over any shallow coin signals, ever.

Nice finds! I've only found one Franklin half in 10 years of detecting. My theory is that they weren't as deep as the older halves and a lot were found by the early detectorists. They are really hard to find nowadays. Check the back of your 1909 wheat near the lower edge- maybe it's a VDB. Way to go and HH!

Nice digs Randy and congrats on the big silver.:thumbup:

Lesson learned on passing up shallow targets that everyone needs to be aware of...especially me.:bouncy:

Not a vdb , unfortunately ! :)

It had to be a big loss to lose a half...when I was kid, we didn`t have a whole lot of pocket money, in fact, we were constantly looking for coins and pop bottles to turn into coins. I would have been a sick puppy to lose a half, in the event I even had one!
Wish whoever lost it could know what happened. HH

I know what you mean about the shallow signals, as last Sept I almost passed up what I thought was a chopped pop can top. At 2" deep, opened the plug, and there's the big reeded edge of a Peace dollar.

I've found Barbers, Walkers and a silver Kennedy but Ben has been eluding me. Haven't been out much lately. Only a couple indian head cents over the last 2 weeks.

Impressive bunch of finds. You get rain down there and you are going to make me jealous of all that silver. I got a franklin the other day too.... those are hard to come by, i assume because a lot of them were scarfed up earlier on or just not in circulation.

Dew

Great finds :beers: The Benny half is #1 on my wish list.

WOW WOW WOW Randy!

Awesome!

Love the silvers, and that button looks just like the one I found the other day; guys here told me it's a Great Seal general service button from WWII, just as you thought. On the back of mine, it says "Steele and Johnson" instead of "Scovill Mfg. Co.", but mine also says "Waterbury (CT)" like yours does.

We gotta hook up for a hunt!

Steve

Very nice finds Randy! Congratulations and thanks for the great pictures.

NebTrac