Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Little Trick To Pinpoint ???

Ben Town

I was reading the February FBS news letter from Andy Sabisch and there was a question in the quiz

2) If you are hunting a private yard with a manicured lawn, how can you minimize the size of the plug you need to cut to recover a target?

Then the answer was

Do all of you remember the trick to shrink down the signal so that you are able to literally put your finger directly above the target we demonstrated in the field? If you have not really gotten into using that, give it a try as it makes recovery a snap and eliminates damage to the grass. If you can recover a target in 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes, at the end of the day you will have more keepers in your pouch since you spent more time detecting and less time digging. Let me know if you have any questions on how to do this again.

I went to a Bootcamp and this never was brought up, if anyone knows this little trick please share .

I can’t imagine what can get that kind of pinpoint accuracy?

I use the wiggle back and get close , most of the time but if I can get that close even better
Anyone know the little trick?
BT

Sounds like BS to me. Angle of the coin in the ground affects the pinpoint location away from true. The DD coil of CTX has been great at finding the coins, but never great at pinpointing.

I think he is referring to pinpointing closer to the target to reduce the sensitivity.

Pinpoint “Normal” on the CTX shrinks it automatically but even at that,the 17” coil usually needs a 5” diameter plug to make sure the coin is in there,if it’s a coin and there isn’t something silly going on. Does the EQ have “auto shrink”? If this weather keeps up I’M going to need a shrink...

I use the 17" coil on the CTX and it pin points well if the target is 4+ inches. If it is shallow, it can be tricky to pin point with the detector using the big coil. The way I accurately and quickly pin point with the CTX is just use the pin point function to establish my left and right. Once I get centered over the target, I know the target is in the centerline somewhere along the length of the coil. Then I use my White's TRX pinpoint and run it down the centerline the length of my coil and most of the time it can reach the target. The TRX can reach 4-5 inches which is deep enough for most targets. If it can't reach it, I just use the detector's pin point function and X the target. The CTX with the big coil pin points accurately if the target is over 4 inches deep.

I was hoping to find someone that attended that Bootcamp and tell us , because there was nothing like that in the one I attended last year.
Come on Andy share if your out there
IDX that’s why I’m in Florida for the month to get away from the Midwest and winter, it’s worked too

Haven't been to the bootcamp, but he was probably talking about the "de-tuning" method, where you pinpoint the target and get the center of your coil right over the hot spot, then click out of pinpoint mode, press the coil to the ground and click back into pinpoint mode and repeat the process if you have to. Works well using pinpoint sizing mode. Normal pinpoint mode does the same thing automatically as IDX mentioned, but takes some getting used to as it seems to ratchet down pretty quickly and can lose the target. I have both pinpoint modes assigned to my user button and will use sizing to pinpoint a deep target, then normal mode to zero in on it. Works well with the big coil.

Mr Will
I’ll give that a try again, seems like I do recall that somewhere in the past.
Thanks
BT

Oh, there’s a lot of interest.
This old dog can be taught new tricks, well at least I ask, ya never know.
BT

Jason
I can't speak of the 3030 because I have never used one. That said I can speak of detectors in the past and some newer ones.
De tune is a practice that does in fact shrink the target to more in the center of the coil.

Pinpoint..release, and then pinpointing again leaving the coil where the first pinpoint was up to several times will shrink the target response area the coil is over. Perfect no..better yes for a more accurate pinpoint.
This is and was old school detecting. I am not positive it is as accurate on DD as it is with a concentric coil.. But it is worth trying if one needs to be more accurate in where to dig..or sometimes locating a target more precisely that is buried a few inches down allowing prying the target with a screwdriver type object. Working the target to the surface, and not really digging a hole after
shrinking the digging area by De tune. So Jason. BS..No!. Perhaps something you just never heard of before.

Elton said:
Jason
I can't speak of the 3030 because I have never used one. That said I can speak of detectors in the past and some newer ones.
De tune is a practice that does in fact shrink the target to more in the center of the coil.

Pinpoint..release, and then pinpointing again leaving the coil where the first pinpoint was up to several times will shrink the target response area the coil is over. Perfect no..better yes for a more accurate pinpoint.
This is and was old school detecting. I am not positive it is as accurate on DD as it is with a concentric coil.. But it is worth trying if one needs to be more accurate in where to dig..or sometimes locating a target more precisely that is buried a few inches down allowing prying the target with a screwdriver type object. Working the target to the surface, and not really digging a hole after
shrinking the digging area by De tune. So Jason. BS..No!. Perhaps something you just never heard of before.

Oh, you read my post wrong. I've been doing this for 36+ years. de-tuning a detector has been part of hobby for longer than I have been doing this. I called BS on it being some secret CTX method. If a person doesnt know about de-tuning, they must be extremely new to the hobby.

I was also calling BS on de-tuning allowing a CTX to allow you to "put your finger on the target". Any detector can pinpoint a normal depth, flat oriented coin sized object. However, the CTX SUCKS at pinpointing angled coins, especially deep angled coins. Lots and lots of targets left in the grounds are deep and angled.

Yep.. I missed what you were saying... I thought you meant BS about detune..
Sorry my friend.. I stand corrected.

I have found 2,308 coins so far this yr with the CTX 3030 using the 17" coil (and modified Beach program outlined in Andy's book). Personally, my easiest method for target location is simply wiggle the target to the front of the coil, turn 90 deg and do the same, average the two, usually problem solved.

2018 Finds:
Gold Rings - 10
Gold (6 teeth) Grillz - 1
Silver Pieces inc Rings - 22
Coins - 2,308
Knives - 2
Watches - 1

mrwilburino said:
Haven't been to the bootcamp, but he was probably talking about the "de-tuning" method, where you pinpoint the target and get the center of your coil right over the hot spot, then click out of pinpoint mode, press the coil to the ground and click back into pinpoint mode and repeat the process if you have to. Works well using pinpoint sizing mode. Normal pinpoint mode does the same thing automatically as IDX mentioned, but takes some getting used to as it seems to ratchet down pretty quickly and can lose the target. I have both pinpoint modes assigned to my user button and will use sizing to pinpoint a deep target, then normal mode to zero in on it. Works well with the big coil.

Funny this was brought up because I was just thinking the other day that I haven't heard the phrase "de-tuning" in years it seems like. I do this damn near every single time I pinpoint, mainly because I got tired of pinpointing a wide stretch over a coin because there was iron in the hole too. As a result, I can usually pinpoint right on the target, even at depth, and even with the big coil. I don't know why more people don't do this.