Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Locksport Anyone?

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole
Staff member
A couple of months ago I became interested in "locksport". It's basically hobby locksmithing, with a heavy emphasis on lock picking, but also lock construction and modification. I was looking for something to do inside when it's too hot, too cold, too wet, or too dark to be doing much else. Being mechanically inclined, it intrigued me, and now I'm hooked!

Closest I ever got was carrying a SlimJim for when folks locked their keys in the car. That wasnt too bad to work and manipulate, especially when the locks weren’t electric. Had to be careful not to pull wires out if electric, bad thing. Then the local locksmiths filed complaints with the Chief that we were taking away business from them so it ended up we only did that if a kid or pet was locked in.
Im not necessarily mechanically inclined but it could be fun to play with!

For the most part, it's much the same as any individual sport in that it's more of a personal challenge than anything else. Beyond that, I figured that if SHTF it could be a handy skill set to have.

Anyone interested in getting started needs to first check their state's laws regarding possession of the tools. In some states it's perfectly legal. In others it's only legal if you are a licensed locksmith business. And in yet others it's mostly legal, but you can get into big trouble if LE can prove intent even if they don't catch you in the act.

Other than that, just follow the rules. Stay legal! DON'T pick a lock that you don't own! The only exception to that rule is, if you have specific permission or invitation to pick a lock by someone you can confirm IS the owner.

To get your feet wet, you can buy a cheap set of picks on Ebay or Amazon, but be aware that they are just that....a cheap set. They aren't going to be made of top quality steel, and they will likely have sharp or burred edges that should be smoothed over before you even begin. Then, don't start with your entry door locks. Start with something easy. Just about everyone has a Master Lock No.3 or No.5 padlock kicking around, and they are a good first lock to start learning on. If the first one leaves you feeling frustrated, then you might want to consider a different hobby, and you haven't invested much. On the other hand, if it leaves you wanting to do more, then consider spending a bit more money on a better set of picks. If you're handy with tools, then you can even make a decent set of picks yourself. I've done both.

Stay away from cheap Chinese locks from the dollar store! When you run out of padlocks around your house, start hunting garage sales. It's often worth it to ask whomever is having the sale if they have any locks that they might not have put in the sale because they don't have a key. A lot of people figure that without a key nobody will want their old lock, and you can generally pick them up for next to nothing. I bought a couple dozen padlocks and entry locks this year, and I bet I haven't spent more than $15 on the whole lot of them. Just don't get too carried away with padlocks if they don't have keys, as most of them are of little use to anyone that's not doing what you're doing. Entry locks are a different story. If you stick with the hobby long enough to get serious, you'll eventually start taking them apart, re-pinning them, and cutting your own keys. At that point you can improve the security of your own home, sell them online or in your own yard sale, or start trading them with other pickers. Trading with other pickers and selling on Ebay to other pickers is also a good way to get un-buried from all the padlocks that you've acquired, and then you'll have the money back to spend on new challenges.

Old longhair ,Very interesting subject..when I was 13 or 14 I had a facination with padlocks..a friend showed me how to pick those cheap master locks and a few of the slaymaker locks..I really got a thrill out it so much so that I started stealing locks..ya I was young and dumb..I would steal them in school,neiborhood sheds and garages etc etc..I never stole anything other than the lock itself..my luck started running out though when some kid in school kept putting pickable locks on his locker ,about the 3rd or 4th day of picking his lock the assistant principal was on the look out and saw me heading towards the kids locker but I got wise at the last second and didn’t take so I able to wiggle out of that jam when confronted.... the end of my teenage lock picking days came to abrupt end when my my dad said he just came from the local hardware store and they wonder why I ordered a custom padlock key with the same number on it as all of the padlocks on the local municipal building..BUSTED,well by dad anyway..And that was the end of those shenanigans....which as it turns out was good cause I was starting to head down the wrong path...it’s a shame I didn’t take it in a positive direction cause everytime I herd the lock click open really got a thrill...that hardware store should have paid me a commission as I’m sure they sold more new padlocks in that one year than all the other years they were in business combined..lol... I’ve seen a few cool videos on utube and even saw the starter kit with picking tools and practice locks at a yard sale for like $15 bucks but figured I better just leave that hobby in the past..lol..that’s really cool though the way you are doing it by getting padlocks that people have lost keys to..I bet it’s a great thrill when you struggle to get one open and finally crack it...

<snip> I bet it’s a great thrill when you struggle to get one open and finally crack it...
In the beginning...yes. The real thrill is when the light comes on and you learn to stop struggling and just pick the lock.
I've graduated from basic padlocks, the average entry locks, and tubular locks to locks with security pins. Learning how to deal with spool pins and serrated pins requires a feel for feedback through your tools that's a bit more complicated than standard pins. It's just the next step in my personal challenge. :biggrin:

Bought three more today at garage sales. One is a Master Lock branded deadbolt, one is a 60mm brass Excel padlock, and the last one is a very old cute little U.S. made "101" warded lock. The deadbolt and brass padlock came with keys, and I spent a total of $5 for all three. Picked them all as soon as I got home.

Small American Made Warded Lock_rz.jpg

Spent a little time over the weekend making some security pins to re-pin some entry locks. I need some more practice making them, and I need more of them anyway, so the next rainy day I'll do some more. (sorry about the fuzzy phone pic)

Security Pins_1.jpg

Since my last post I've been learning to pick disc-detainer locks, the ones that have keys with angular cuts of different depths along the sides.
I've also obtained a set of picks for working on dimple locks, that have varying depth divots in the flats of the key.

Most recently I picked up a motorcycle disc brake lock that has a 12 pin cruciform keyway. It's a fun little challenge to pick, but not too tough after you figure out how to tention the core w/o obstructing access to all the pins.
Emgo Disc Lock_e.jpg

Since my last post I've been learning to pick disc-detainer locks, the ones that have keys with angular cuts of different depths along the sides.
I've also obtained a set of picks for working on dimple locks, that have varying depth divots in the flats of the key.

Most recently I picked up a motorcycle disc brake lock that has a 12 pin cruciform keyway. It's a fun little challenge to pick, but not too tough after you figure out how to tention the core w/o obstructing access to all the pins.
View attachment 12985
Interesting,, I've never seen a lock with keys like that. So that's like a 4 bladed key ?? Does each blade have the same pin pattern ??

Interesting,, I've never seen a lock with keys like that. So that's like a 4 bladed key ?? Does each blade have the same pin pattern ??
Yes it is a 4 bladed key. And no, they aren't all pinned the same. The key only goes in one way. It's got a notch in it that has to align with the dot on the lock face. If you look closely, you can see that the width of the opening isn't the same for all blade paths.

Last edited:
Yes it is a 4 bladed key. And no, they aren't all pinned the same. The key only goes in one way. It's got a notch in it that has to align with the dot on the lock face. If you look closely, you can see that the width of the opening isn't the same for all blade paths.
I thought that's the way it was , sometimes its hard to tell from a picture that could have been taken at a slight angle.

Took advantage of an inclement weather day and made a bunch more security pins. The ones on the left are "pin-in-pin", where I spooled and rifle drilled one pin and turned down another pin to fit inside it (as illustrated by the one on the far left).

Evil Pins.jpg

I picked one the other day with a grinder and cut off wheel
I bet you made a lot more noise than my way does.

Truth be told, most thieves are more interested in rapid entry, so destructive methods are their typical tactic. They aren't going to pick a lock. They're going to use a hammer, pry bar, or bolt cutters to get past a padlock, and break a window, use a vehicle, or kick in a door to gain access to a house or business. Stealth really isn't their bailiwick.

Buddy of mine forgot his keys to unlock his trailer. Was cheaper to cut off than him to go get his keys.

Buddy of mine forgot his keys to unlock his trailer. Was cheaper to cut off than him to go get his keys.
Non-destructive methods are what locksport is all about. If the lock was a common Master Lock padlock, I'd have picked my way into it in less time than it took you to cut it off with a grinder, and your buddy wouldn't have to buy a new one.

this topic came to mind the other day when my wife and I were at a park..in the park is a chain link bridge that crosses the creek..on the bridge lovers have placed padlocks on the fence material as some sort of symbol..
what a thrill it would be to pick a bunch of those locks and place them on opposite side of the bridge just to bewilder and confuse people.. such a large variety of locks too .. would love to see people scratching their heads trying to figure out how there locks got moved..lol...

this topic came to mind the other day when my wife and I were at a park..in the park is a chain link bridge that crosses the creek..on the bridge lovers have placed padlocks on the fence material as some sort of symbol..
what a thrill it would be to pick a bunch of those locks and place them on opposite side of the bridge just to bewilder and confuse people.. such a large variety of locks too .. would love to see people scratching their heads trying to figure out how there locks got moved..lol...
There are places where those locks have become so numerous that they are causing safety issues, and officials have had to have them cut off by the hundreds.

Took advantage of an inclement weather day and made a bunch more security pins. The ones on the left are "pin-in-pin", where I spooled and rifle drilled one pin and turned down another pin to fit inside it (as illustrated by the one on the far left).

View attachment 13366
Love to repin my front door lock to an un pickable configuration.
There's this local dirty cop who gets off on illegal entries. Yes I've reported him.
Nothing ever happened.

Love to repin my front door lock to an un pickable configuration.
There's this local dirty cop who gets off on illegal entries. Yes I've reported him.
Nothing ever happened.
Piece of cake! A few alien technology security pins and a good key bitting scheme, and it could be made very difficult to pick for someone that's not skilled.