Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

looking for advice on finding old campground

pointer80

Hi everyone, I am trying to find the location of a old camp ground in a little town not too far from home. I have seen a few old postcards of this camp but it no longer exist. I do know that it was on the river in this little town but that is about it. I was wondering if they might have some kind of tax records etc. that might be able to help me. It existed during the 1930's and that is about all I know. I also have not talked to any locals in the small town yet either. I will try to do that when I have time. Thanks in advanced and HH.

Try historic mapworks

My local library has a "historical" section. Inquire within and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised what kind of information they have. Of course you will have to investigate but the info is there. LB is right on with historical map works. I love using them.

Thanks guys, I have tried historical map works and cannot find no info. I will check the library and see what I can come up with.

one thing i've been doing since i retired is looking thru books on family histories. i'm not into tracingt family history but some of these have some pretty detailed info about events of the day. if you could find some that go back to that time they may mention the camp ground. good luck.

If you go to the USGS site http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/ and enter the name of you town, and state that is nearest to the campground, look for the oldest topo map available. Then, try a couple more maps, especially, if you know the approximate date of the post card, match that date up to the nearest topo map available.

You can scroll the topo maps online, download them, print them out on your computer, or, better yet, take them to a surveryor, like your county surveryor and ask how much to print the map out in a larger scale.

If you scroll the map online, you should be able to find the campground, or, a cluster of buildings on the map, even if the location isn't identified on the map.

I have a friend who lives near a spring called BONANZA... I put in BONANZA SPRING, and his state, and the location came up on the topo map.

You may try putting in the name of your campground at the USGS site I posted, and see if it comes up... like this..

"Buster Campground, Iowa" See what happens. Now, you may have to hit the + or - sign to zoom in or out to see if you are near your town, but it just may come up. If not, you can go back to the scrolling the map method, near the town that you believe it is near.

All the best

A place like STAPLES or OFFICE DEPOT could print out a larger map. Will cost, but maybe cheaper than at the county surveryors office... I don't know, but they are an alternative to gettign a larger map.