Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for good basic Relic Hunting Machine

Canewrap

I've been using TID machines the last few years, while relic hunting and I'm starting to realize that its not only overkill, but may be keeping me from digging some things I should. Does anyone use a beep and dig that gets reasonable depth (8 inches on an eagle button and 9 to 10 inches on a large bullet in moderate ground), allows you to tell the difference between iron and non-iron, good separation/quick recovery, and weighs less than 4 pounds? I have a Tejon that my son uses, but its not the best in iffy ground and some of the sites we hunt are iffy ground, just by virtue of how much iron is present through breakdown of iron targets. I picked up a Tesoro Eldorado (uMAX), but not sure what would be the best coil for it.

Looks good, except no ground balance control and that is absolutely necessary in my area. If someone has one of those GB modded Cibolas for sale, I would seriously consider buying it, as lack of ground balance was the only reason I got rid of it, back in '07. Over good ground that machine was great. The Vaquero, for some reason, is just not a GB'd Cibola.

I know you're looking for a non-metered machine but the Fisher Gold Bug Pro will do what you're looking for. Just don't look at the meter.

The Tesoro Tejon has your name written all over it! Also consider the Vaquero if you are looking for something a little less chatty. Basic machines, proven, great warranty.

The design looks a bit like an F75 or T2 (if you use an 11 DD coil). How is it with EMI? Couldn't use an F75 in my area because of EMI issues.

Cibola with the GB function and also a modded Tesoro lobo supertraq if you can get one. Messing with the POT's (potentiometer) can be very tricky unless your willing to take the risks. Here is a link of a modded LST with an 8" coil, pretty awesome if you ask me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5v2E6F0a3w
Has excellent discrimination as well. So many machines out there are capable but so little do exactly what you want............hence the variety and technology. Good luck with your search, hope you find what you need.
Cheers!

Hello Canewrap,

TID does keep us from digging some things we should dig, But then again it keeps us from digging stuff we shouldn't dig as well. Depends on the user, how much trash/iron can one bear to dig some hunters don't mind digging iron or pouches full of low conductive trash then some hunters would rather cherry pick a site then maybe go back later and dig it all.

One of my favorites beep and dig detector is the XP Gold Maxx Power, Get's good depth and lighting fast separation in areas laced with old iron. These are hard to come by here at the states but can be purchased from across the pond and shipped here, My understanding is new ones can not be sold in the USA but one can purchase a used GMP and have it shipped to the USA. NEL coils can be purchased for the XP Gold Maxx Power here in the states, So that's good news one can get coils here.

Another good relic detector is the XP Deus, I recommend if one is going to purchase a Deus they should get both coils. In the beginning didn't see a need for both coils with the Deus but now I do, The larger coil will get more depth, Not much but every edge helps.

Fisher is coming out with a new model (F-19), I believe that one will be a good detector but if you're looking for a non-meter machine a good used GMP will be great!

Paul (Ca)

A Troy X5 maybe a detector that could tick your boxes for Relic Hunting,pretty deep and often promoted as a light weight deep hunter.

I read this all the time on the forums but I never did understand how a TID machine will keep someone from digging a good target. If you don't have the willpower to ignore or question the display and hunt by audio and instinct, put a piece of black tape over the TID. :shrug:

The TID should be used as a tool and never let it overrule your better judgement. The TID will also aid in finding good targets when the audio says you have trash like multiple targets in the same hole, coins on edge and the like, but to each their own I suppose. JMHO

Larry, it's the deep or iffy targets that give a TID machine problems. You're correct, of course, TID can be ignored, but if your machine has registered a hypothetical 12 ID on the last 6 square nails you've dug, you're likely to pass up the next 12 you get. Where, if you have no TID and are getting good signals on nails, it's easier to deal with digging those signals, knowing that you have to dig some trash to find the goodies. I use a TID to hunt new sites to try and locate something that will tell me I'm on a new CW site (or at least A CW site), but after I've confirmed it, I'll start digging pretty much everything and since beep and dig machines are typically lighter than TID machines (at least mine are), I'll last longer once I start digging everything if I'm using a lighter machine.

Ah, but can it handle iffy ground? Unless I find a virgin site, any Civil War relic sites I hunt will only produce if it's not easy to hunt, to start with.

Look at the X-Terra 705. Tape the VDI up if you need to but the audio is amazing and the prospecting mode is good for relic hunting. It sounds very close to the GPX with good iron reject feature. This is my new "favorite" machine.

I have a 70 and yes, they are very good machines. It's what I use to try and locate Civil War relic sites when I walk into a new area. But, as you might have found out, it gets a little nose heavy with the 10.5 DD coil on it. Which is the coil you need to have in some of the bad ground around here.

Have you tried the Fisher F - 70 I would think that would get the job done , I use a vaquero and hunt in all metal and check in disq something like a button would be right up the Vaqueros ally

If you can afford one, the eTRAC is a worthy relic machine when using no discrimination. Its FBS technology is auto ground balancing.
Been relic'n lately with my eTRAC and i've got no shortage of corroded foot+ deep square nails! LOL.