Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for land relic hunters who love their Nox and can help with programming please

jtalley007

Been a challenge to get out detecting but when I do I can’t seem to get the Nox to perform like I know it should. I’m a long time Minelab fan since the Sovereign came out.

Relic hunted for years with the Explorers and loved performance but eventually couldn’t take the weight on my shoulder.

Fast forward to the Nox, Would like to know who lives in an area with good soil and has found the magic combination of program, reactivity or recovery speed, iron bias, sensitivity and whatever else makes this machine a keeper?

I want to love it but so far can’t seem to get the depth I need to succeed in our pounded places here in Virginia where ground is mild.

My explorer performed like a champ, I just can’t tote it anymore.

I feel like the Nox should be an awesome detector, just so far, not doing it for me so would be grateful for help.

I’m getting killer depth with the foreign, totally wireless machine in this mild ground and would love to closely match it with the Austrailian Equinox

Jerry

I also hunt in all metal to hear small iron.

I have not had any issues with depth, even with the small coil. It separates well, but the stock coil does an excellent job as well.

I go slow with the sweep speed as well, especially in trashy ground.

I also dig a lot of iffy signals in the event they are good items masked by bad, but so far, the vast majority have been junk targets.

Jerry, I live in Virginia too and my results with the NOX haven't been that great either. I have only used mine a few times and I think it will be an awesome coin machine but for relic hunting it's just not what I'm looking for. I can't hit a 7 inch three ringer in my test garden and my soil is mild too. Maybe it's a Virginia curse.

His settings are very close to what I use but I do have a couple that I change depending on the site.

In my opinion, iron bias is kinda like training wheels for the detector. The more familiar with the unit you get, I would try to get it as close to 0 as possible. It does help you in the early going with higher numbers, to keep you from chasing deep iron but it does hinder performance of the machine.

Reactivity speed is another one...same as the wireless French machine. On that unit, there is a big depth difference between a reactivity of 1 and 3. The Nox is the same way...adjust accordingly. In good soil, if you are away from thick iron, lower that setting and you'll see more depth out of it. The more mineralized ground you get into, you might want to increase the reactivity speed for an increase in performance. If you start getting into thick iron, you can always bump it back up to a faster speed, as at that point, depth goes out the window.

I've also saw mixed results with just leaving the machine at default GB or manually GBing it. In some soils you WILL see an increase in target strength by manually GBing. In some, you might be better off leaving it at presets.

The other thing is, the Nox is not a depth demon, but it does seem to be able to handle mild to more severe mineralization than some other detectors can handle. My Nox with the 11 inch stock coil, will air test a .58 Minie ball around 15 inches with a good repeatable tone and the sensitivity set on around 22. In the ground though, there's no way it is going to do that here. The deepest I have dug them with the stock coil is about 10 to 11 inches and with the 15" coil, I was able to snag one at about 12-13 inches.